PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out?

*BelievingAgain
March 30th, 2008, 05:49 PM
Gosh I feel kind-of rude starting a new thread like this after only posting once :o, but I've been wondering if there are other people on this board who's hair is still quite short...I last had tail-bone length hair when I was about 14 (I'm 23 now) and I didn't really pay attention to it when it was last long, it was just, well, there. I had it cut short just after that, and since then have attempted to grow my hair long, but instead have played with colours (mainly conventional dye) and the length never really got further than my shoulders, as I kept getting short-ish cuts!

Well a couple of days ago, I had what I am determined will be my last 'short' haircut - I am absolutely determined to grow my hair long, healthy, and dye-free. I just feel it's time for me to not cover up what I've been blessed with, you know?

SO, the reason I started this thread was to see if there are any other people enjoying this awesome site who are feeling a bit in awe of all the beautiful long-hairs here, as they're starting out with shorter lengths. It's can be a really long and tough journey to grow from short to long, so I thought we could be a bit of special support (along with the already wonderful support from everyone else on here!! :)) to each other.

Sorry for the long post!!!
:flower: Jess

paper
March 30th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Hi & Welcome :flowers:

Very nice post. The last time I cut my hair short was in Sept. 07. I'm still cutting off layers, so it's still short.

Good luck growing your hair, you will have lots of support here. :D

momma smurf
March 30th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I shaved my head just before I lost my hair to chemo fall of 2006... it's just now about collar length. :D there are quite a few here with short hair, and quite a few who are longhairs now who started out short. Welcome!! :)

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
hehe my last real haircut was this..
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/try2sept2006.jpg
yes i did distort my face but this is the internet and i dont want people knowing what i look like
i started out like this in late 2006... its terrible... infact it was so terrible that it made me want to grow my hair long...
it looked like a mullet as it was growing out

funnybunny668
March 30th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I've been a member here for quite a while, but was absent for about a year, during which I was bit by the haircutting bug. I think I had not-quite-shoulder-length when I started, got to just below BSL, cut it back to jawlength, and now I'm brushing shoulder-length again.
So, yeah, there are members here at every stage of the growing process. :)

BrianaFineHair
March 30th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Hello and welcome! :)

Yes, I am in awe of the beautiful long hair here. They are all an inspiration to me.

My last pixie cut was over a year ago (think Halle Berry pixie before her hair grew out long). I kept getting it trimmed to a jaw length bob much like in my picture. I decided a month or so ago that I WANT LONG HAIR. If I can get BSL I will be over joyed because it would be a major deal for me. I've had super short hair all my life except for 10 years total when somehow I managed just a tad longer than shoulder level (which to me is long, but I know the ladies here would laugh at that! LOL! )

So, I'm here too on the long hair journey right along with ya! :)

JCFantasy23
March 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I cut my hair about four years ago. I regret it. I didn't cut it short, but I had it almost to butt length and it's never grown back.

sweetkandi
March 30th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Im regrowing also. Before I cut it short and experimented w/ colors, it was at waist. If I hadnt cut it, it probably would be at classic, or longer.

heidihug
March 30th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I managed just a tad longer than shoulder level...which to me is long, but I know the ladies here would laugh at that!

I know you're just joshin', BrianaFineHair, but most of us'd never laugh at that - so many of us have been in your boat! I had quite short hair when my kids were small. It's been about twelve years now, but I remember it well. I think every "long-hair" here has a "short-haired" version of themselves lurking around in there somewhere!

jennydaesy
March 30th, 2008, 08:09 PM
thats quite a difference... ur hair looks gorgeous now

DecafJane
March 30th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Yes, there ARE quite a lot of us here, aren't there? It is wonderful! :)

I got my last boy-length pixie cut in October last year, and am growing it out. A lot of us are keeping track of our progress in our photo albums on the site, so feel free to have a browse on the public ones. I always find it helps inspire me to see that other people were at the stage I am, and now they have long and lovely hair!

*BelievingAgain
March 31st, 2008, 12:41 AM
Wow! It's great to see that there are people of all lengths (of hair! :laugh:) here, finding inspiration and help from others, that's so fantastic!

I'm still trying to work out how to navigate through the site, but once I do and learn how to post photos etc. I think I'll kind-of be addicted to this place!
We all need a vice I guess...at least mine will be relatively healthy, apart from the spending-too-much-time-on-the-computer thing!!!!

Thanks for all of your replies so far, it's a really nice feeling to be welcomed into this great community...you are all very inspiring. I think I'm gonna need that when I hit my 'mullet' period shudder:. I'm just a shaggy pixie at the moment!

:flower: Jess

DecafJane
March 31st, 2008, 12:56 AM
As for the mullet period - never underestimate just how much hair you can tie up with a hair tie and bobbypins. :)

RedCardigan
March 31st, 2008, 02:14 PM
I had waist-length hair 2 years ago. I slowly started cutting it shorter and shorter with it ending in a horrible,horrible,badly done version of a Posh Spice Bob back in Sept.

I let it grow out for the past 7 months and just had about a 2 inch trim done this afternoon. Now its just brushing the top of my shoulders.

I'm taking and posting progress pics at or around every season change. It helps me obsess less. Sorta....

Islandgrrl
March 31st, 2008, 02:39 PM
Welcome, *BelievingAgain! Don't feel out of place because your hair is short now!!! It won't be that way forever if you don't want it to be. I started re-growing my hair from a cut that was *maybe* 2" long all over. Prior to that it was knee-length (what was I thinking???).

Treat it nicely and be patient with it, and your hair will be long sooner than you might expect!

jojo
April 3rd, 2008, 04:50 AM
im growing back from short too, the time fly's though you will be long again before you know it!

Welcome to LHC x

Citrine
April 3rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
I'm a shortie who's in awe of all the long haired beauties around here too. After the last cut my longest layers are now brushing my shoulders. Maybe by my birthday the shortest layers will reach that far too :shrug:

Curlsgirl
April 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Welcome! Mine was a bleached fried poofy mess when I came here and just barely touching my shoulders in layers! We all started somewhere shorter (well mostly!) Join in and read read read! You are starting at the best place actually because when it's short is the best time to learn to start taking care of it better! :cheese:

lora410
April 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
I started growing my hair April of last year from slightly shoulder length. I started out however at 3inches. In almost 2yrs I just about at BSL; so it goes faster then you think. :flower:

brok3nwings
April 3rd, 2008, 07:17 AM
well it is nice of you to start this thread. i think there is a lot of shorters here. I am one of them..my hair have layers and the long part is a bit longer than shoulder lenght. But since i joined (January this year) my hair has improved and it is longer! :)

Lamb
April 3rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
I started out from this in July 2007:
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd305/E_Agnes/P1000021.jpg

I am approaching shoulder length now. Not easy with curly hair and layers, I had two major trims recently, but at least my hair is almost all one length now!

Druid of Alba
April 8th, 2008, 07:29 PM
YES! I JUST got my hair cut on Saturday, from an unhealthy shoulderlength hair, to a healthy, shiny, short (just below my ears) haircut! You are not alone! :)

mommy101405
April 8th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Add me to the list. I am about shoulder length but I have fringe and a lot of short layers. My layers are way too short thanks to a butchering by a hairdresser I wouldnt recommend to my worst enemy. I love seeing all the long beautiful hair here. I want longer hair but mainly I want it healthy. I have been chemically assaulting it for 10 years now and it needs some help. I really appreciate all the advice I have gotten here and I am determined to take better care of my hair.