PDA

View Full Version : greasy!!!

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
im at the end of day two and my hair is so greasy, it is revolting. i switched to using a natural shampoo and i know my hair is just transitioning (well i hope it is...) from being stripped every day to not being stripped every other day. but how long will this last?? why does my hair hate me :confused:

OhioLisa
February 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
Am I reading correctly that you washed with the harsher stuff every day? If so, then your scalp has 2 things to adjust to. The less harsh cleansers and more time between washes. It might take some time, but things should even out for you. On the other hand, you could be a person who has a naturally oily scalp no matter what and might just need to shampoo more often. Just "listen" to your hair. :)

Jessaka
February 23rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
I can't help you, just wanted to let you know I'm in the same boat as you. I wash my hair daily just to keep it from getting too oily. Good luck with the oil.

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 12:09 PM
i switched to every other day while i was on the harsher stuff but the harsh shampoo gave me greasy patches at the back of my head. the natural shampoo helps and doesnt make my hair knot and fall out. but my hair was sort-of getting used to washing less. i used natural products to see if my hair would stop overproducing oil but it seems to have gone the opposite way :(

Rohele
February 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
My hair is quite greasy by then end of day two as well - I have to wash every second day. Some people just have to wash more often regardless of method, I think. My hair starts to look greasy at the end of day 1, day 2 is definitely and updo day. I CO wash, and have doing so for 2 months, and my hair has never got "less greasy" - it has however improved in condition. I don't think I will ever be able to stretch washes farther than I do now.

OhioLisa
February 23rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
i switched to every other day while i was on the harsher stuff but the harsh shampoo gave me greasy patches at the back of my head. the natural shampoo helps and doesnt make my hair knot and fall out. but my hair was sort-of getting used to washing less. i used natural products to see if my hair would stop overproducing oil but it seems to have gone the opposite way :(

Well then, either it is simply a transitional thing, or perhaps it is the type of natural product you chose. What product are you using?

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
i use Weleda Lemon Balm & Orange Blossom Shampoo. i wash my hair upside down with the shower head. i dont use anything else on it. im hoping it is transitional. i guess im just having a crisis that it's never going to get better!

OhioLisa
February 23rd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Well, let me ask this. Why is washing more often such an issue?

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
Well, let me ask this. Why is washing more often such an issue?
probably because i'm lazy and have to get up early for school. it takes me a lot longer to wash upside down but it works better. should i go back to daily washing and see what happens then? back when i was using harsh stuff i thought my hair was reacting to that and causing the greasy patches and i think maybe i still am in that frame of mind.

Anje
February 23rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
Try washing daily, and when the grease dies down a little, you can try extending the washes.

Have you considered washing in the evening? I hate washing my hair in the morning and putting it up wet, and I do like to stay in bed til the last possible moment. My hair's usually nearly dry by morning if I go to bed with it wet.

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
I wash my hair at night and by 5 the next day its terribly greasy and I have to wash it again just to stay sane. I'm trying the soda/acv mix to see if it helps

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 01:45 PM
yeah i always seem to have issues with washing it at night through, my fringe gets greasy. i must sweat a lot in my sleep or something! ill set my alarm and i won't just lay there thinking hmm i might get up...!

Susana
February 23rd, 2009, 06:59 PM
I had really oily hair. Then I didn't wash it with anything for like 1 month, now I use WO, I don't think my hair gets as greasy....You might want to give it a try. Its also about getting that sebum down, so it's no longer the enemy :)

Susana
February 23rd, 2009, 07:00 PM
Oh! I also made that transition before to the natural shampoo. I used Jason Aloe Vera. At first it was more oily, but it got back to normal eventually. Give it time. Brushing might help :)

Juneii
February 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
don't worry, I know exactly what you mean, I tried it once and it was horrible. I have naturally oily hair so I prefer washing it every day

Curlsgirl
February 23rd, 2009, 07:20 PM
My hair is dry and I can't even do sulfate free shampoo or it stays greasy. I end up having to wash way more often. Now I wash usually once a week in the winter anyway with CWC. You might try that if this problem continues. Also are you rinsing very well? That can cause your problem too.

manderly
February 23rd, 2009, 07:22 PM
yeah i always seem to have issues with washing it at night through, my fringe gets greasy. i must sweat a lot in my sleep or something! ill set my alarm and i won't just lay there thinking hmm i might get up...!

You can wash your fringe in the sink in the morning :)

Katze
February 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM

I had a similar thing happen - going sulfate free did not work for me.

What I did was: when I first came to LHC I started stretching my washing out. This may have helped my scalp 'adjust' - I'm not sure how much I believe that theory - but it really did help ME adjust - helped me see when my hair was really 'greasy' and when it was just softer and well conditioned. I had had bleached, blowdried hair, and was used to it feeling a certain way. Now, after some years obsessing here at LHC, I have learned to like it better a bit 'greasy.'

I tried no 'poo, and I tried CO and WO and baking soda and...and...and my hair, happy at first, got increasingly dull, dry, tangly, and ugly.

One day at BF's parents house I had forgotten conditioner, but had an old travel bag with me and some natural, sulfate-containing shampoo. I washed my hair without conditioning it (gasp!) and had beautiful, soft, shiny hair again.

After repeated freakouts, I have learned:

My 'greasy' scalp does need help getting clean, and this means occasional sulfates.

My hair tends towards dryness at first, and then gets greasy fast - so good conditioners as well as occasional (1-2x a month) sulfate washings help it stay cleaner longer.

I can get away with washing every 7 days or less if I am careful (not to over oil for example).

As many have said it is a matter of finding out what works for you. It took me almost two years to figure that out, because of my fine yet mixed hair, greasy scalp, damage, etc.

Trial and error and patience are your friends! :flower:

rosie91
February 24th, 2009, 11:26 AM
i do rinse really well. i have noticed a slight oily patch at the back. this may be due to washing my hair quicker this morning (i was ok washing it when i got up! it didn't take too much time) and not rinsing as well but im going to use my pantene clarifying shampoo tomorrow and maybe use it once a week or two weeks to keep the patches at bay. i prefer how my hair feels with the sulphate free shampoo as it would get really out of balance on the sulphatey stuff. trial and error i think is right!

Für immer
February 28th, 2009, 01:05 PM
If you wash your hair every day with shampoo, then it's no wonder that your hair get greasy.
You should only use shampoo each 3rd day or so.

if you really want to wash your hair every day, then just wet it.
Don't "shampoo" it.

HoneyMouse
February 28th, 2009, 01:07 PM
I cannot emphisise enough the good that the soda bic/acv mix is doing to my hair. Its only the second time I've used it and I can already go 3 days without washing my hair when it used to be every day even with a mild of mild shampoo

Deborah
February 28th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Do you use oils or conditioners? For at least some people, they are not necessary. If you wash, but then add oils or conditioners back, then of course your hair will be greasy soon. You probably don't need the oil you add, either via conditioner or straight oil. Try gentle washing followed by just an acidic or catnip rinse, and I think you might be surprised at how clean you hair stays, and how much less frequently your hair needs washing.

Good luck in whatever you try. :)