PDA

View Full Version : Catnip, honey, extra virgin olive oil

CindyLea1
February 23rd, 2009, 11:58 AM
I would like your opinions on something.

I make catnip tea a bit on the strong side. Apply it and let set for an hour or two depending on what I need to do around the house. Then rinse twice with just a bit of conditioner only. Air dry and go.

When I do a honey treatment, I do about the same.

I also use olive oil/water as a mister here and there, when my ends seem a bit dry.

I am getting some lightening of my medium blonde hair with these 3 processes. And I LOVE it. :smooch:

Just yesterday, I did a catnip treatment. When it was time to rinse it out, I found out that the pilot light in my water heater had blown out! So all I had was ice water! No go. So I slathered on about 4 pumps of conditioner, and about 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Detangled it with a wide tooth comb, and rolled it up into a log roll. Well, I couldn't get around to rinsing it out untill 10:00pm. So this gunk was on on my hair for about 9 hours.

Today, my hair is very happy! :D

Now, if you are still with me after all that. I want to know, if I could mix in some honey to this mix. And have a one shot treatment.

Next week; I'm thinking of something like this:
Mix catnip tea as usual (300ml very hot water 2 heaping Tablespoons catnip in a teaball),
Let cool to room temperature
Add half a cup honey
Stir and let sit for an hour
Add 1/4 cup evoo
Apply this to damp clean(shampoo only--I almost think this shampoo clarifies my hair) hair
Let set for an hour or two or longer
Rinse and let air dry

Do you think anything would cancel out the lightening and conditioning effects of another? Do you see any problems with this concoction?

Thank you in advance for any opinions you care to share.

CindyLea

DragonLady
February 23rd, 2009, 12:07 PM
I was thinking about trying this same thing, to eliminate a step on my wash day.

Currently, I apply an egg yolk/beer/honey/EVOO mix and leave it for an hour.
Then shampoo and apply catnip tea for an hour or more.
Then use an SMT for a couple of hours or overnight.
Then finally rinse with vinegar....

It takes all day! I'm wanting to find ways to do things in fewer steps; especially as every step takes over an hour.

ktani
February 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
I would like your opinions on something.

I make catnip tea a bit on the strong side. Apply it and let set for an hour or two depending on what I need to do around the house. Then rinse twice with just a bit of conditioner only. Air dry and go.

When I do a honey treatment, I do about the same.

I also use olive oil/water as a mister here and there, when my ends seem a bit dry.

I am getting some lightening of my medium blonde hair with these 3 processes. And I LOVE it. :smooch:

Just yesterday, I did a catnip treatment. When it was time to rinse it out, I found out that the pilot light in my water heater had blown out! So all I had was ice water! No go. So I slathered on about 4 pumps of conditioner, and about 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil. Detangled it with a wide tooth comb, and rolled it up into a log roll. Well, I couldn't get around to rinsing it out untill 10:00pm. So this gunk was on on my hair for about 9 hours.

Today, my hair is very happy! :D

Now, if you are still with me after all that. I want to know, if I could mix in some honey to this mix. And have a one shot treatment.

Next week; I'm thinking of something like this:
Mix catnip tea as usual (300ml very hot water 2 heaping Tablespoons catnip in a teaball),
Let cool to room temperature
Add half a cup honey
Stir and let sit for an hour
Add 1/4 cup evoo
Apply this to damp clean(shampoo only--I almost think this shampoo clarifies my hair) hair
Let set for an hour or two or longer
Rinse and let air dry

Do you think anything would cancel out the lightening and conditioning effects of another? Do you see any problems with this concoction?

Thank you in advance for any opinions you care to share.

CindyLea

My catnnip dilution is 1 level teaspon to just under 300 ml of boiled water. I do not need conditioner or oil of anything else to condition afterward with it, after letting it sit on my hair bagged, for 1 hour. Your dilution is over 6 x as strong that. Catnip is more astringent, the stronger the dilution. I suggest trying a lower concentration of catnip and see how that works out.

Heidi_234
February 23rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
By 'honey treatment', do you mean the honey lightening treatment by Ktani's recipe? If so, then since we are talking about a delicate balance to maintain that natural peroxide, any additives that sabotage the lightening (except EVOO).
I don't think you get lightening with all three treatment, catnip, as I understand, does not lighten hair, but it can stain the way chamomile does. I do hot oil treatments with EVOO, and it doesn't seems to change my hair color, nor did it to others (there was a thread about it not so long ago. I can find it for you if you want).
So, if you want the lightening and you use honey by the honey lightening recipe, then it better be done separately. Ktani also said that for her, catnip works best on its own.
ETA: And she also beat me in replying speed :lol:

freznow
February 23rd, 2009, 12:59 PM
I plan on combining honey with my catnip next week. Perhaps for some catnip works well on its own, but I think I need some extra moisture.

I think combining them will not lighten you hair, but if you're just going for moisture, I don't think it can hurt (and if it does... wash out and try something different next time!)

ktani
February 23rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
Catnip contains iron and other minerals that can deplete honey peroxide. It depends on how much peroxide the honey you use produces.

ktani
February 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
I plan on combining honey with my catnip next week. Perhaps for some catnip works well on its own, but I think I need some extra moisture.

When I first started to experiment with catnip, it was not as moistuizing as I wanted it to be.

Changing the dilution to the one I use now and increasing the timing to 1 hour, made all of the difference for me.

CindyLea1
February 23rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
My catnnip dilution is 1 level teaspon to just under 300 ml of boiled water. I do not need conditioner or oil of anything else to condition afterward with it, after letting it sit on my hair bagged, for 1 hour. Your dilution is over 6 x as strong that. Catnip is more astringent, the stronger the dilution. I suggest trying a lower concentration of catnip and see how that works out.

Wholey Crap!!!! Did I ever miss read THAT! I read 1 Tablespoon so I just doubled it on purpose. I just con't leave well enough alone, I guess. I'll tone it down next time..That very well maybe my issue.

CindyLea1
February 23rd, 2009, 02:34 PM
By 'honey treatment', do you mean the honey lightening treatment by Ktani's recipe? If so, then since we are talking about a delicate balance to maintain that natural peroxide, any additives that sabotage the lightening (except EVOO).
I don't think you get lightening with all three treatment, catnip, as I understand, does not lighten hair, but it can stain the way chamomile does. I do hot oil treatments with EVOO, and it doesn't seems to change my hair color, nor did it to others (there was a thread about it not so long ago. I can find it for you if you want).
So, if you want the lightening and you use honey by the honey lightening recipe, then it better be done separately. Ktani also said that for her, catnip works best on its own.
ETA: And she also beat me in replying speed :lol:

You are correct, my terms were wrong. Staining (temporary) more than lightening(more permanent). I do have to do it once a week, to keep the slight color.

Maybe I am confusing the slightly more shiny apperance of my lightly oiled hair, with lighter tones?

Thanks for straightening me out! :D

Heidi_234
February 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
You are correct, my terms were wrong. Staining (temporary) more than lightening(more permanent). I do have to do it once a week, to keep the slight color.

Maybe I am confusing the slightly more shiny apperance of my lightly oiled hair, with lighter tones?

Thanks for straightening me out! :D
I think it might look lighter, yeah, like (again) with chamomile, but it's not actually getting lighter as it might with honey lightening.
YW :flower: