PDA

View Full Version : Dutch/French braiding - I give UP!

Hypnotica
February 23rd, 2009, 11:27 AM
I know how to french braid and dutch braid - but ny hair have started to tangle *really bad* if I even try.

:angry:

This is new to me. I have soon tb lenght hair and no problems with tangles in any other situation/updo. But even if I try carefully to seperate each chunk of hair as I go, the bottom inches will tangle.

:justy:

And I *know* that people with vastly longer hair then mine is able to french/dutch braid their hair.

IS there a secret? Please let me know!

spidermom
February 23rd, 2009, 11:28 AM
I have to run my fingers down the entire length to untangle the strands every pass or two. Sometimes I even hold the strands with one hand while I re-comb the bottom part.

heidihug
February 23rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Yes, as spidermom said, I also have to separate each strand every time I flip one over the other. I run my fingers down to to the bottom just to make sure they are not tangling at the bottom. The longer the hair, the worse this gets, I've found. I keep my brush handy to smooth out the strands as I go, too. I do this several times during the braiding process. It can take about 10 minutes to braid my hair, especially if I do French braids.

Schnee
February 23rd, 2009, 11:36 AM
Well, there's not really much to do other than untangel as you braid. :) It will get easier with some practice, just be patient. I do run my hands down the lengths at regular intervals just to part, but sometimes just giving the hair a shake will be enough to separate the hairs.

MadPirateBippy
February 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
What I do is every third twist, I pull the hair all the way down for that strand- it gets to be part of the rhythm of braiding at that point. That way you don't end up with sort of a weird reverse braid at the ends.

I have seen another long hair who, as soon as she gets the braid set in one hand, will use the free hand to pull it all down every braid- and even doing that she's a faster braider than I am.

Phalaenopsis
February 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
I'm not at hiplength, but I already have the habit to detangle my strands since I want everything smooth and perfect :)
I learned myself to french braid and I found out that I braid way differently than most people on the internet.

I keep the strands all above each other. That way they also tangle less at the ends.

I have video of it, I think.

CindyLea1
February 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
I agree with the above posters.

When I braid, be it french or english, I get a braid going from the ends to the top. Every so often I run my "free" hand down the length to reseperate the pieces I'm braiding. About half way through the braid, I will also run the brush through the tail part just to smooth it out again.

Monchhichi
February 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
I always run my fingers down the whole strand just before I pass it over or under. I have to do this as long as I add new streaks to the strands.

Anje
February 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Just another vote for running my hand down the length, about every two passes (since I seem to do it primarily with my right hand). If I want a particularly smooth braid and am not planning on wearing it loose before washing it, I will often smear oil on the forefinger and thumb of my right hand, so that when I run it down the strands, I oil them. Gives a particularly smooth, shiny, longer-lasting braid.