PDA

View Full Version : Castor Oil, more questions

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 09:55 AM
Okay so I bought castor oil recently to do the OCM. It’s a pretty big bottle so I wanted to see about other uses for it.

I read through some other thread about but have more questions.

For eyelashes and eye brows: are you putting it on and leaving it on? Or washing about after some point?

For hair: I have shedding, in the shower, out of the shower, all the time. So I was thinking I could use the castor oil and EVOO mix to put on my scalp on the nights when I wash that next morning. I use suave naturals coconut shampoo (only shampoo the roots) but will that be enough to get it out of my hair? I would have to shampoo on my wash morning anyways because the day before is my work out day and sweat makes my hair look nasty! Also if this helps growth for all the shedding I have that would be great. A couple of people in other post said they had good growth.

I must have has a bald spot at my left temple because I have about an 1 ½” of growth that sticks up. SO I wouldn’t mind helping that growth along so it will stay down.

Thanks everyone!

ratgirldjh
February 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM
i use castor oil - but pretty much only on my face and hands. what i do is put it on after washing my face with warm water and a wash cloth - finishing with a cold water splash. then i put some castor oil in my damp hands and rub them together to warm it up and pat and rub it onto my whole face including my eye area - making sure to get my eyelashes and eyebrows and my neck, etc. i actually use enough so that there is some left over to sink in (a light coating) this goes away by the time i wake up in the morning.
so far this has been the only thing to help my dry skin wrinkles in the winter and my crows feet seem to be softening.
i rub the left over bit into my hands and cuticles.

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM
Have you noticed any thing different with you eye lashes and brows?

I ask this because i lose some eyelashes to the eyelash curler. Also my eye brows are thin, but this be becasuse i have a scar that would be right in hair if i let them grow any thicker. But i would like the hair line i have to be thicker.

ratgirldjh
February 23rd, 2009, 11:15 AM
actually i have noticed that my eyelashes seem to be stronger feeling - or thicker.
my eyebrows are very thick already - but my eyelashes could be longer - so i'm hoping this will eventually help them. i have only been doing this for a couple of weeks so i will keep you updated :)

mostly i've just noticed that castor oil really helps my dry skin wrinkles and that i haven't felt the need to exfoliate as much lately to get the top layer of skin off...

oh - i put a few drops of lavender oil in my castor oil for smell

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 11:35 AM
I'm glad to hear it helps skin, I tend to have oily and dry areas. I'm hoping with the OCM it will even out.

The reason i think i have the oily area is from the face cleaners i have used striping off all oils.

3azza
February 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
castor oil is good for hair, but beware with the lashes and brows because it increases the incident of having white head under ur skin. iused it and i had so many white heads, the kind that you need to remove at ur dermatologist's.

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 01:03 PM
castor oil is good for hair, but beware with the lashes and brows because it increases the incident of having white head under ur skin. iused it and i had so many white heads, the kind that you need to remove at ur dermatologist's.

was this with the OCM? Did you use a lot offend? The last thing i want to do is be back in the Derm's office. The guy i have been to is so friggin weird, I can't stand him.

ratgirldjh
February 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
i've never had any white heads from it yet anyway - but my skin tends toward dry and aging and actually i've never had white-heads from anything - i used to have a few blackheads on my chin and it seems that since i've been putting castor oil on nightly that they are gone!

before this i was just using virgin coconut oil and it worked well in the summer - but in the winter my skin was starting to feel very dry

i tried olive oil and my blackheads got worse!

i sometimes use a variation of the OCM where i just rub in VCO and steam for a minute and then wipe it off with a warm washcloth - but mostly i just steam my face with a washcloth and water and then rinse with cold.
then put then castor oil on

i have found that it is important for me to finish with cold water so that my pores aren't open and then the oil doesn't get caught in my pores

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Last night i forgot to do the cold water!!!

ratgirldjh
February 23rd, 2009, 02:42 PM
well for me if i don't do the cold water and was doing OCM i would notice more clogged pores. i'm sure one time wouldn't make much difference though

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 05:05 PM
well for me if i don't do the cold water and was doing OCM i would notice more clogged pores. i'm sure one time wouldn't make much difference though
Yep that's what i'm thinking.

chotee
February 24th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I love castor oil and use it all the time along with other oils. Makes my hair darker and stronger:smile:

3azza
February 24th, 2009, 04:32 AM
was this with the OCM? Did you use a lot offend? The last thing i want to do is be back in the Derm's office. The guy i have been to is so friggin weird, I can't stand him.

Actualy the way i used it was not with the OCM. I was told to dip a mascara brush into castor oil and apply to lashes and brows before i sleep. :rolleyes: This is how i developed white heads.

melrose1985
February 24th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Actualy the way i used it was not with the OCM. I was told to dip a mascara brush into castor oil and apply to lashes and brows before i sleep. :rolleyes: This is how i developed white heads.

Well i will keep this in mind, I dont want that. Thanks for shareing because i dont think i have heard that any where else.

Now for hair, Has it helped anyone with the shedding. I didnt lose to much hair in the shower this moning but man just combing my hair!! I want to cut this shedding do as much as possible. And if it doesnt help with the shedding could it be because i'm not actaully shedding that much. I wonder it now i think i'm shedding alot because i'm paying attention to it.

Supermodelsonya
February 24th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I mix a little castor oil in my DC's for thickness. I hope it works.

melrose1985
February 24th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I love castor oil and use it all the time along with other oils. Makes my hair darker and stronger:smile:

DO you have any shedding problems that it helps with?

tina1025
February 26th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Castor oil def helps with shedding but you have to use it more then once or twice...It will take some time to notice a difference. If you want to decrease shedding you should try using soapnuts (aritha) to wash your hair. Your shedding will decrease after using it just once or twice.

tina1025
February 26th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Also, are you mixing in any other oils with castor oil? I mix in Rosemary and nettle essential oil and i only use 2-3 drops (I have BSL)

melrose1985
February 27th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Tine 1025, I haven't tried any castor oil in my scalp yet due to some laziness and not being sure.

I have thought about the soapnuts, and i really should look into it.

My next question to you (and everyone else) for those people saying how they use castor oil for thickening for hair/brows/lashes.... This makes me wonder about using it on my face. If you use this oil to help thicken/grow those hairs... what about with OCM, there are hairs all over the face and upper lip hair (done really have a problem with uppper lip hairs) but is this stuff going to make my face hairs grow or thicken?

Loviatar
February 27th, 2009, 09:05 AM
3azza, by 'white heads' do you actually mean milia? They are little white oil/fat deposits in the thin skin around the eyes and can be exacerbated by using oily products in that region. A lot of people have them confused with blocked pores which are the regular 'white heads'.

Just checking :)

tina1025
February 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
If you have any questions regarding castor oil ask away…I am not an expert but I will try to help as much as I can. I have been using castor oil for a long time ( on my hair).
Soapnuts are great. There is no chemical in it, they are SUPER cheap and not bad for your hair AT ALL. Plus you don’t need to use any conditioner or vinegar rise so it will save you tons of money since you don’t have to buy any other products.
I use soapnut powder (100gm powder costs me $1.49 and it lasts me about a month may be more) to wash my hair but on this form many people use soapnut nuts to make their shampoo. You should check out Millie’s sig for more information or ask me any questions you may have.
is this stuff going to make my face hairs grow or thicken? – IMO, castor oil does both. The lady who does my eye brows told me to put castor oil to make it grow faster, thicker and for more growth.

melrose1985
February 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
If you have any questions regarding castor oil ask away…I am not an expert but I will try to help as much as I can. I have been using castor oil for a long time ( on my hair).
Soapnuts are great. There is no chemical in it, they are SUPER cheap and not bad for your hair AT ALL. Plus you don’t need to use any conditioner or vinegar rise so it will save you tons of money since you don’t have to buy any other products.
I use soapnut powder (100gm powder costs me $1.49 and it lasts me about a month may be more) to wash my hair but on this form many people use soapnut nuts to make their shampoo. You should check out Millie’s sig for more information or ask me any questions you may have.
is this stuff going to make my face hairs grow or thicken? – IMO, castor oil does both. The lady who does my eye brows told me to put castor oil to make it grow faster, thicker and for more growth.

I looked at Millie's info about soapnuts. But i like the idea of a powder because reading through and actually using the nut it's self seems like a TON of work. I'm right now using all natural routine, meaning no cones. But using the soapnut you really don’t need any conditioner? where are you getting the soapnut powder?

And as for the castor oil i will not be putting that on my face other then my brows... which could use some beefing up.

ratgirldjh
February 27th, 2009, 12:25 PM
i am now wondering if the castor oil is giving me milia under my eyes. i have a little patch of bumpy skin under each eye - and it may have been there before - but i don't know. so now i am just putting the castor oil on my eyelashes...
i hope this is not milia...

melrose1985
February 27th, 2009, 01:15 PM
i am now wondering if the castor oil is giving me milia under my eyes. i have a little patch of bumpy skin under each eye - and it may have been there before - but i don't know. so now i am just putting the castor oil on my eyelashes...
i hope this is not milia...

I tried putting it on with a clean mascara brush and it just ran down the lashes so i tried to wipe it in a bit. I thinki got a little on my eye. It didnt hurt or anything, but its annoying. I'm sticking to the castor oil on the brows! the only please other thenmy head that i need more hair.

ratgirldjh
February 27th, 2009, 01:40 PM
i have actually read that you can put castor oil in your eyes to get rid of or prevent cataracts so i don't think it will hurt your eyes - i often put it directly in my eyes - and i think it feels good - LOL

tina1025
February 27th, 2009, 04:53 PM
i have heard that too.....I have also heard that if you put a drop of castor oil on your eye lids then it helps you fall asleep. I have tried it and i fell asleep right away but i dont know if i was just tired and fell asleep or castor oil actually helped.

i have actually read that you can put castor oil in your eyes to get rid of or prevent cataracts so i don't think it will hurt your eyes - i often put it directly in my eyes - and i think it feels good - LOL

tina1025
February 27th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Its not a lot of work but with the powder all you need to do is add some water so its every convenient especially if your traveling. I purchase mine from a local indian grocery store. But its also avilable on amazon and few other websites but i thik its way cheaper to buy from an indian grocery store.....

NOpe i dont use anything else on my hair...I wash my hair wth soapnut powder, do henna once a month, and oil whenever i feel like it......Soapnut clenses and conditions your hair so you dont need to use anything else.

I looked at Millie's info about soapnuts. But i like the idea of a powder because reading through and actually using the nut it's self seems like a TON of work. I'm right now using all natural routine, meaning no cones. But using the soapnut you really don’t need any conditioner? where are you getting the soapnut powder?

And as for the castor oil i will not be putting that on my face other then my brows... which could use some beefing up.

melrose1985
February 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM
Its not a lot of work but with the powder all you need to do is add some water so its every convenient especially if your traveling. I purchase mine from a local indian grocery store. But its also avilable on amazon and few other websites but i thik its way cheaper to buy from an indian grocery store.....

NOpe i dont use anything else on my hair...I wash my hair wth soapnut powder, do henna once a month, and oil whenever i feel like it......Soapnut clenses and conditions your hair so you dont need to use anything else.

is the powder as good as the nuts? are they basically the same thing?

tina1025
February 28th, 2009, 07:56 AM
IMO, they are the same thing and powder is as good as the nuts. I guess nuts are dried and made into powder.

LaurelSpring
February 28th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I love love love castor oil. It has stopped several big sheds for me. I started putting it on my lashes after I read a post on it and my lashes are now at least 3 x as long and much darker. I also started using shea butter on them in the morning and now I dont need any mascara at all anymore. Its incredible! I dont put it so much on my brows because they are kind of bushy anyway but for lashes its the bomb. I use a Q tip and dip it in the castor oil and put it on and around my lashes.

For my hair I do a castor oil soak the night before a wash. I mix it with just enough other oil to thin it a bit to make it easier to apply and also use a Q tip to apply. I make a part with one end and apply the CO with the other until I have covered my head then I dip my fingers in it and massage all over my head. I ususally comb it through some (its thick) and finish the length with coconut oil.

I want to try the soapnut powder. I tried the regular soapnut soak and it was kind of a pain. I would like to give that a go.

tina1025
February 28th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Qtip is a great idea to apply on the eyelashes. I usually use my finger and the oil ends up all over my face..LOL.. Thank you

melrose1985
February 28th, 2009, 09:04 AM
I love love love castor oil. It has stopped several big sheds for me. I started putting it on my lashes after I read a post on it and my lashes are now at least 3 x as long and much darker. I also started using shea butter on them in the morning and now I dont need any mascara at all anymore. Its incredible! I dont put it so much on my brows because they are kind of bushy anyway but for lashes its the bomb. I use a Q tip and dip it in the castor oil and put it on and around my lashes.

For my hair I do a castor oil soak the night before a wash. I mix it with just enough other oil to thin it a bit to make it easier to apply and also use a Q tip to apply. I make a part with one end and apply the CO with the other until I have covered my head then I dip my fingers in it and massage all over my head. I ususally comb it through some (its thick) and finish the length with coconut oil.

I want to try the soapnut powder. I tried the regular soapnut soak and it was kind of a pain. I would like to give that a go.

I have pretty long eye lash as it is... But if using the Castor oil helps darken them and lengthening them then that would rock just using the eyelash curler and being done.

I think the soap nut powder looks really easy, and maybe easier then the Castor oil.

I really dont want to use the Castor oil on my face for doing the OCM, is there anything else i can use for oil to clean my face and night? i really like the idea of it because my skin is always so dry. I am using coconut oil as my moisturizer now.

tina1025
February 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I use rice bran powder to wash my face. Its not drying at all. I use rose hip seed oil as a moisturizer.

ratgirldjh
February 28th, 2009, 12:00 PM
i just started using chandan (sandalwood powder) on my face - and it seems to like it. i have used it 2 ways: the first way was just get my face wet and dip my fingers in the powder and scrub on my wet face gently - then rinse and moisturize with VCO - the second way was to first rub VCO all over my face and then dip my fingers in the chandan and rub all over my face. the 2nd way seems less drying to me.
you can also use amla powder this way. amla powder however seems really drying to me - while the chandan doesn't seem to be so drying and it smells wonderful!

you can get both these powders at an indian grocery store. the amla is very cheap - the chandan is more expensive - but they usually sell it in very small containers for pretty cheap and it doesn't take much.

another alternative is to just rub VCO (coconut oil) onto your skin like you would do for the OCM and steam your face or just wipe it off with a damp washcloth. you can use any oil that suits your skin. for me if i do this too much however i end up with pimples - i think because massaging the oil into my skin gets it caught in my pores. this is why i started adding a little manual exfoliation back into my routine - before i was exfoliating using the miracle whip peel - and although it works wonderful for me - i think all that rubbing was rubbing stuff into my pores also :(

melrose1985
March 1st, 2009, 07:16 AM
i just started using chandan (sandalwood powder) on my face - and it seems to like it. i have used it 2 ways: the first way was just get my face wet and dip my fingers in the powder and scrub on my wet face gently - then rinse and moisturize with VCO - the second way was to first rub VCO all over my face and then dip my fingers in the chandan and rub all over my face. the 2nd way seems less drying to me.
you can also use amla powder this way. amla powder however seems really drying to me - while the chandan doesn't seem to be so drying and it smells wonderful!

you can get both these powders at an indian grocery store. the amla is very cheap - the chandan is more expensive - but they usually sell it in very small containers for pretty cheap and it doesn't take much.

another alternative is to just rub VCO (coconut oil) onto your skin like you would do for the OCM and steam your face or just wipe it off with a damp washcloth. you can use any oil that suits your skin. for me if i do this too much however i end up with pimples - i think because massaging the oil into my skin gets it caught in my pores. this is why i started adding a little manual exfoliation back into my routine - before i was exfoliating using the miracle whip peel - and although it works wonderful for me - i think all that rubbing was rubbing stuff into my pores also :(

Well i tried the VCO last night because that's all i had. I liked it, it got all the make-up off. So i think i'll try that for a bit.

And the Q-tip for the castor oil for the brows and lashes works well.

ChloeDharma
March 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I have pretty long eye lash as it is... But if using the Castor oil helps darken them and lengthening them then that would rock just using the eyelash curler and being done.

I think the soap nut powder looks really easy, and maybe easier then the Castor oil.

I really dont want to use the Castor oil on my face for doing the OCM, is there anything else i can use for oil to clean my face and night? i really like the idea of it because my skin is always so dry. I am using coconut oil as my moisturizer now.

I use sweet almond oil to cleanse, applying heavily, massaging in, then wiping with a damp face cloth....then i moisturise with either rice bran oil, jojoba oil or coconut oil.
I find sweet almond excellent as a cleanser

ratgirldjh
March 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
wow - i've never tried the rice bran powder - can't believe there is still something natural that i haven't tried!!!
i am liking the chandan powder so far - and i also have some triphala powder on order and i've heard that makes a great skin pack - so maybe i will try that next.
and of course i will pick up some rice bran next time i get to somewhere where they have stuff like that - LOL

i don't know if it was the castor oil that was giving me the milia or if it was coming from the miracle whip facial. but i have stopped both for the time being and have just been using my old stand-by VCO and a little jojoba/sandalwood oil.

the milia are still there - hope they go away...

oh and i'm still putting castor oil on my eyelashes - but now i am using a balm that contains olive, castor oil, and beeswax and just applying it to my eyelashes - it seems to stay on them better. so far i haven't seen my eyelashes get thicker or darker - but they may be a teeny bit longer!

melrose1985
March 3rd, 2009, 07:22 AM
I use sweet almond oil to cleanse, applying heavily, massaging in, then wiping with a damp face cloth....then i moisturise with either rice bran oil, jojoba oil or coconut oil.
I find sweet almond excellent as a cleanser

Well i have been just using the VCO because that's all i have. Do you think (or anyone) that the VCO is an okay cleaner?

Where can i get the sweet almond? Any stores? i like to be able to look at the stuff before buying it.

wh!terose
March 3rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
its very nice for hair but mix it with light oil ..as well for the eyelashes :D i put some in old mascara bottle

s_tresses
March 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM
What is OCM?

I am thinking about trying castor oil but I CO and I want to transition to washing hair with herbs. Would the soapnut powder be enough to get Castor oil out of hair?

melrose1985
March 3rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
What is OCM?

I am thinking about trying castor oil but I CO and I want to transition to washing hair with herbs. Would the soapnut powder be enough to get Castor oil out of hair?

OCM is "oil cleansing method". That's the reason i bought the castor oil, but when i realized that it helps thicken and make hair grow i really didn’t want to put that on my face.

I to would like to know the soapnut powder will get oils out of the hair. I don’t shampoo my length, but i need to shampoo the roots if I’m wetting my hair because my hair looks greasy with water only. I use the VCO on the length after i condition my hair.

ratgirldjh
March 4th, 2009, 12:35 PM
i frequently use VCO to cleanse my face.
what i do is just briefly rub it on and then either tissue it off or wipe it off with a wet washcloth and then apply either castor oil or jojoba/sandalwood oil.
sometimes i apply VCO and then some cleansing grains - either sandalwood powder or triphala powder - whatever i'm in the mood for - then wipe it off and rinse and apply oil.
or i just do the cleansing grains w/o the VCO.
both work well for me and are not too drying.
i have found that i prefer the castor oil at night since it is thicker and takes a little longer to soak in than the jojoba or VCO.
also i think that the cleansing grains are taking care of what i thought was milia under my eyes - it is now gone.

EDIT: i have still been using the castor oil on my face and the little patches of rough looking skin are getting worse! so i am going to stop using it for a while and see if VCO will help it go away. i got a vic's cloth and i really like to use it for steaming and then massaging my face - so hopefully it will help. i think that VCO will also help to grow eyelashes. the only problem with VCO is that it definitely makes my vision blurry! when i use castor oil i can put it right into my eyes and not have blurry vision! weird, i would have thought it would be worse for blurriness since it is so thick!