PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with 'mixed' hair types on one head

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 05:04 AM
Many newbies often post puzzled that they have very different hair textures on different parts of their head.

This used to worry and bother me too. Before LHC, I could not understand why the hairs on my nape would not grow, and why they had such a coarse, curly, texture that reminded me too much of 'other body hair.'

Since joining LHC I have found some better ways of dealing with my coarser, wavier nape hairs while also respecting and caring for my baby fine crown hair, and thought I'd post some of the ideas that work well for me.

The babyfine parts - Because my hair on top is fine, I almost never condition the crown. I do do SMTs on my entire head, since they are so good for my scalp, but have to be very careful even with them - my fine hair gets weighed down super easily!

The 'medium' hairs - luckily, these are at my nape, which means when I put my hair up when showering or bathing, these are the hairs that get damp from normal splashing. I've discovered that this dampness helps me be able to oil my hair (I cannot heavily oil, oil my scalp, or get oil on the finer crown hair) in the spots where it needs it. I imagine if your hair is fine on top and coarser underneath that you could do the opposite? I'd like to hear feedback on this!

My coarser hairs do well overall with more leave-in, more oiling, more misting. I also sometimes use aloe or hair gel on them and finger-style them 'straighter' as they have a tendency to cause a weird bumpy, kinky layer under my finer crown hair.

This seems to be working! My fine crown hair is growing, my medium-thickness nape hair is growing (for the first time ever) and my hair seems generally happy. My scalp does well with little to no conditioning, whereas my coarser nape hairs benefit from extra conditioning. It's all a matter of balance.

If any of you have other tips for dealing with different hair textures on your head, bring 'em on! :D

peace

Katze

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 05:40 AM
i have really weird hair on one side of my head at the back. if i'm not careful i get huge greasy patches that feel awful, so i have to make sure i get the shampoo in there and rinse really well. i used to have greasy hair that was also quite dry and staticky but i managed to control it by using less harsh, natural shampoo. my fringe also gets greasy when the rest of my hair is fine so i wash it over the sink or in the shower with an SLS shampoo to get it clean

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
good point Rosie, part of it is also having to wash different parts of the head differently! I focus my (regular sulfate) shampooings on my hairline and crown, and hardly ever shampoo the coarser, wavier hair at nape.

My hair was also both "greasy" and "dry" until I started paying attention to things like sulfates vs. no sulfates. It took a while to get used to it being softer and smoother (and darker in color) from more moisture, as well as to realize that I do indeed have two very different hairtypes on my head!

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 07:02 AM
definately. im just getting used to my non sulphate shampoo and my hair started getting greasy a lot quicker than usual, but it also felt less stripped and my hair got properly "clean" everywhere. i hope that makes sense. anyway it is starting to get used to being cleaned more gently. it seems with harsh shampoo, i get a really clean fringe and greasy patches at the back and with gently shampoo, greasy moisturised fringe and no greasy patches at the back. im hoping it does even out!

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 07:15 AM
yeah, there seems to be a really fine line between stripping and getting clean enough. If I go more than a month without any sulfate washings, my hair gets dull, lifeless, waxy, and stringy. A sulfate wash clears this up, but then I have to pay extra attention to the "M" patches, using leave-ins etc.

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 07:24 AM
i am so glad it's not only me! the amount of hairdressers i have baffled......one told me to use this clarifying shampoo which was strong enough to dissolve my hair. it didn't work, i ended up with dry ends and waxy roots all over. ergh it was disgusting

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 09:26 AM
it seems like we're the only ones!:confused:

suziwon
February 23rd, 2009, 12:11 PM
it seems like we're the only ones!:confused:

Nope, you and Katze aren't the only ones! I have a patch of hair in the center back of my head that is much curlier and much coarser than the rest of the hair on my head. It's also where the majority of my white/silver hairs are. Impressively (to me anyway) it also manages to be drier than the rest of my already extremely dry hair.

It took a while to get used to it being softer and smoother (and darker in color) from more moisture, as well as to realize that I do indeed have two very different hairtypes on my head!

I'll second that! I've noticed that the reddish brown color that my hair has been for many years has been replaced by a dark chocolate when fully moisturized. While I've still yet to decide if I like my hair being the darker color, I have learned that it's time for a trim when my ends get lighter and color and stay lighter in color regardless of how much moisture I add to them.

As for what I do to care for my hair, it's back to varying. The only constant is that I use the CWC technique and steer clear of cones. Sulfates don't tend to affect things one way or the other for me.

Product wise, I've been using the hair cleansing cream, too shea extra moisturizing conditioner and weekly deep conditioning treatment by Jessicurl for a few months now.The too shea goes on the length prior to cleaning with the hair cleansing cream, and the weekly deep conditioning treatment goes on after rinsing. I leave the deep conditioning treatment in while I finish my shower and then rinse. After my hair dries a little (I get the best results when it's damp, but I'll put it in sooner if I'm in a rush) I add a small amount of Nightshade's Panacea to the length.

Recently, I've started trying Lush products...I really liked the results I got when I used the Jessicurl Too Shea on the length prior to washing with the Lush Curly Wurly and conditioning with the Lush Retread followed by the Panacea as a leave in. However, my hair is long enough, thick enough, and dry enough that I got maybe three weeks of use from one container of Retread washing every second to third day. :( I'm thinking that I might be willing to try one more container to see if it lasts any longer. If it doesn't, it's likely to become an occasional treat, as it's a bit pricey to only get three weeks out of the container. Even if my hair is baby soft for days once it dries.

My only current issue is my scalp. The only thing that seems to work for stopping the itching and crusting is Nizoral. The draw back to the Nizoral is that it has something like 5 or 6 detergents in it, making it hell on my hair. I've tried the shampoo bar that Lush makes for dealing with this sort of thing, and it helps a little. I've also tried scritching my scalp prior to getting into the shower to wash, and that helps a little too. The length of time between washes is entirely dependent on my scalp's behavior; I can't go more than three days between washes because I can't stop scratching on day four. I keep meaning to pick up some catnip, but because I only have a dog, I'm usually not thinking about it when I'm in Petsmart. :mad:

logica_divina
February 23rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
Yes, I'm M/C as well. I do also have some fine ones but they are very very rare.

maskedrose
February 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
I actually need to change my profile to F/M, because like Katze, my nape hair and two spots behind my ears are medium and kinky/wiry. They've been really dry this winter, so I've started using an extra rich conditioner on my ends/underlayers, then putting a bit more of the same conditioner in as a leave in, concentrating on my weird wiry parts and going fairly lightly over the rest. And this is all over my normal CO wash - my hair is being needy this winter :)

It's pretty happy with this routine and with monthly cassia treatments.

karli
February 24th, 2009, 12:49 AM
I also have some courser parts in my underlayers. noticed it when trying sheabutter. Most of my hair got stiff and oily from it, but the underlayers got smoth. so now I use a small amount of jojoba in most of my hair, and a lot of shea on the courser parts.
My fine hair likes conditioner though, so co works fine.

tiny_teesha
February 24th, 2009, 04:31 AM
My hair is somewhat the opposite.
Crown- coarse medium
Everything else Under- Fine medium.
I'm glad it is this way, the coarse hair sort of weighs down the rest, and the fine hair look unruly.

But then the finer hair is lighter..and i want that on top! haha

My hair curls most on the hair near my ears. The fine undergrowth is straighter.
Right side is thinner and tapers faster and earlier.

The joys of hair right?

patissegrietje
February 24th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I have medium to coarse hair at the top of my head, and really fine + stick straight hair underneath.
The m/c hair is dry and wiry, while the fine hair is smooth/silky and shiny.... pity nobody can see it :-D

patissegrietje
February 24th, 2009, 04:41 AM
ooh oops, and i haven't found the ideal way of treating it; i usually concentrate on trying to 'tame' the coarse hair on top.
I used to believe my top hair was just really damaged and wouldn't behave because of that.
To my surprise cutting it short multiple times didn't help it ;-).

Katze
February 24th, 2009, 08:36 AM
ooh oops, and i haven't found the ideal way of treating it; i usually concentrate on trying to 'tame' the coarse hair on top.
I used to believe my top hair was just really damaged and wouldn't behave because of that.
To my surprise cutting it short multiple times didn't help it ;-).

Yeah, I used to think my nape hair was damaged, too, and could not understand why it didn't "behave" (but I thought I had straight hair then, too...)

For those with coarser hair on top, how do you condition? Do you put conditioner on the crown, but not condition the finer hair underneath? Mine feels "easier" in this respect, or maybe I've just gotten used to it, because I can condition the underlayer more and just leave the finer bits alone. I would like to be able to use leave in/oil more on the finer ends, but am still growing that shortest "shag cut" layer so when I condition or oil "from the ears down" they only just get caught in that.

patissegrietje
February 24th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I used to think my nape hair was damaged, too, and could not understand why it didn't "behave" (but I thought I had straight hair then, too...)
:p The stupid thing is that the fine hair is more vulnerable and breaks off easily. Whenever that happened i was always annoyed a 'healthy' hair broke off, and not a 'damaged' one.
And i too believe my hair is straight with some body to it, but i made hair typing pictures yesterday (no combing, air dry) and it looks like i have some stretched s-wave going on, but since i never see any of that when dry? :confused:

For those with coarser hair on top, how do you condition? Do you put conditioner on the crown, but not condition the finer hair underneath? Mine feels "easier" in this respect, or maybe I've just gotten used to it, because I can condition the underlayer more and just leave the finer bits alone. I would like to be able to use leave in/oil more on the finer ends, but am still growing that shortest "shag cut" layer so when I condition or oil "from the ears down" they only just get caught in that.
To be honest i didn't think about the possibility of treating both hair types differently before i saw this thread, but it might be a very good idea, the coarse hair on top is VERY dry, it always looks as if i blowfry or overstretch it :(

Jessaka
February 24th, 2009, 01:19 PM
WHOOPS, I posted in the wrong thread. Please disregard my post.