PDA

View Full Version : My favorite updo - 'retro' pinned Dutch braids

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 04:55 AM
This is a great hairdo for those of us growing out/long bangs, or with lots of fuzzy baby hairs that stick up all over the place, or layers. It looks complicated, but if you can Dutch braid, it's really quite easy.

First of all I start with 'dirty' hair, and even oil the length to help get it to stay better. My hair is really messy, no matter what I do, but I find that this hairdo, on 'dirty', oiled hair, is a good fix for even my unruly fine, frizzy hair.

1) divide hair into two sections, from hairline to nape. I do this a bit crookedly as I naturally have a (left) side part, and like to include my growing-out bangs on the right side.

2) use an elastic to keep the second side out of the way while you start with the first site.

3) starting *as close to the hairline as possible*, begin a small Dutch braid heading back over the crown of the head. After braiding 1-3 'bumps', start adding hair to each section from the *hairline* first. This helps keep the braids tighter and the whole 'do looking nicer.

4) Finish the braid at the nape, making sure to tightly braid any remaining hair into one of the sections. Continue the braid as far as possible to the ends of the hair. (NOTE: I have extremely thin ends, so I braid as far as I can and rely on the thinness of the braid ends to help keep this 'do together. I assume it would be different for those of us lucky enough to have thick ends or no taper)

5) Repeat with the second side.

6) To make these double Dutch braids into an updo, you can do various things. If you are able to bun (I am not) you could coil them into a bn. I usually either fold them togther and clip them up, or pin them alongside each other along the back of my head, making sure the ends are 'hidden' under the bulk of the braid.

On me, this hairdo is really quite easy, looks nice in a 'retro' sort of way, and is a way of putting my hair into an updo that still looks good at the end of the day. I struggle mightily with how 'messy' my hair is, so hopefully this updo can help some of the rest of you who have similar problems!

Xandergrammy
February 23rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
No pictures??

Kuchen
February 23rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
I'm a bit confused about the braids. Do they go along the parting, or are Pippi braids or... It does sound like exactly what I'm looking for (braided, retro) but I can't picture it!

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 06:52 AM
I am the world's slowest digital photo taker, because the whole processing thing (upload, fix, save, load to LHC) takes soooo much time, but finally got some of today's hairdo. I did this without looking in a mirror in about 5 minutes - hence the non-hidden bobby pins. Most LHCers could probably do a much better job than me, especially in the back.

Again, it's on really "dirty" hair - tomorrow is my swim day, so I have oiled and brushed the heck out of my hair to try to get it as smooth as possible, but you can still see how much frizz/wispiness I have, even when my length is hanging in "bacon strips"! Same with the hair cleavage - dirtier hair parts less nicely on me.

It is the "poof" at the front (where my bangs and front layers are woven in) that gives it the "retro" look for me. This could just be because of my own appearance, but I think you could also do all kinds of fun rolling or poofing things with this provided you have enough volume at the roots, as I do.

And I love how visible my silvers are on oiled, darker hair! :cheese:

Front/top/side:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=32536

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=32538

Back:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=32537

Left side:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=218&pictureid=32539

Kuchen
February 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
Aha! Cool! I see what you mean now. This could be a good alternative to "predator braids" too.

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM
Aha! Cool! I see what you mean now. This could be a good alternative to "predator braids" too.

what on earth are "predator braids"?!?

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
That sounds interesting. I'd love a pic of it. I'm bettr with pics then I am with written instructions

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
That sounds interesting. I'd love a pic of it. I'm bettr with pics then I am with written instructions

i have never really figured out pics in posts, but go to the links above for the pics!

Kuchen
February 23rd, 2009, 07:20 AM
There's an article on predator braids in the article section, I think. You do a high topsy tail on either side of your head and then braid the hair.

may1em
February 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Dutch braids are so awesome used in updos! I think I might try the off-center part, now. Off-center parts always look better on me, too. Thanks, Katze!

I like making a Chinese bun with mine.

Schnee
February 23rd, 2009, 07:56 AM
I do dutch braids with a diagonal part a lot. Usually I will put the braids up in a chinese bun. It was even my wedding hair style. ;)

The best thing with dutch braids are that they will be ok for 2-3 days, but I have to redo the braids form neck down. :)

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 08:00 AM
I can't get the pictures up. it says I don't have permission to access the page ??

Peggy E.
February 23rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
Dutch braids are so awesome used in updos! I think I might try the off-center part, now. Off-center parts always look better on me, too. Thanks, Katze!

I like making a Chinese bun with mine.

I have a natural part on the left which I'm always fighting. A losing battle, sadly....

That's a really good idea of ending this with a Chinese bun. I think I will try it in a couple of days. Just washed, so it will be a while before my hair is "dirty" enough to try and tame it at all.

It's amazing how much my hair sounds like yours, Katze. In fact, mine is now quite a bit shorter, as the few REALLY long, straggling hairs seem to have disappeared! There's still enough straggling to allow me to braid forever and not have to secure it with anything - the mess just hangs in there.

It can really be a pain! (You must be getting excited about that "kitty" aren't you?!)

Atlantic
February 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I am so going to have to try this. I do something like this with French braids, but the Dutch braids look so much more defined, and (drumroll) I just taught myself how to do a Dutch braid this weekend! My fingers are still getting slightly confused at times, but it actually seems to be working now. :)

Islandgrrl
February 23rd, 2009, 10:35 AM
Katze, that's a really pretty style on you. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to do it, but I'm off to give it a go.....

Katze
February 24th, 2009, 02:24 AM
I can't get the pictures up. it says I don't have permission to access the page ??

Maybe you don't have enough posts to view my album?!?

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I re-did it before going to pregnancy yoga, and got COMPLIMENTED on it by the midwife who runs the course. My first hair compliment since I've been living in this country! OK, R. is a bit of a freak, but she actually asked 'what is that interesting hairdo? ' I explained that it was 'just two braids pinned up' and she went on to say how exotic it was and how it suited me. :disco:

Xandergrammy
February 24th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Hooray for the hair compliment!! This is a really pretty hairdo and I'll have to give it a try.

BTW- your pictures are wonderful. If I didn't have DH to do most of the photo stuff, I'd be lost. You did a good job. Thank you. :flowers:

Katze
February 24th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Hooray for the hair compliment!! This is a really pretty hairdo and I'll have to give it a try.

BTW- your pictures are wonderful. If I didn't have DH to do most of the photo stuff, I'd be lost. You did a good job. Thank you. :flowers:

:) thanks! I finally started balancing the camera in a potted plant in the windowsill! that way it is high enough, and I get hairdos photographed in natural light, and I don't have to kneel on the ground.

I'm going to try this tomorrow on clean hair and see if I can get some comparison pics.

Again, i think those of you who are better at updos could do some really nice stuff with this 'do...

Masara
February 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I like the way your braids come straight down over the back (if that's clear) Mine go round my head even if that's not what I plan.
I usually end my Dutch braids in a sort of bun (like this one (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=399&pictureid=22313) but with Dutch braids instead of French ) I also found it was a good way to do a braided Chinese bun before my was really long enough.
I really want to try bringing the end braids back along the original braids as you describe but I'm not too sure what to do with the ends, which I always try to hide.

rhysiana
February 26th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Just had to pop in and say that this thread inspired me to do double French braids for the first time last night, the closest I could come since I have yet to figure out the coordination for Dutch braiding. Lots of fun, but my arms sure got tired! I was so proud of it, in fact, I kept it in and wore it to work today, even though it got a little fuzzy from sleeping on it.