PDA

View Full Version : What makes hair feel like plastic?

Jae6
February 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
The last 2" or so feel like Barbie hair, and I'm trying to figure out why. I'm guessing I need a trim because it's just the bottom 2" (vs. the shortest layers of my hair that dont' feel plasticky). Thoughts?

BTW, if anyone knows of threads that discuss this, please link and let me know what search terms you used 'cuz I couldn't find it, but I swear this has been discussed before.

TIA everyone!

Gothic Lolita
February 23rd, 2009, 01:31 AM
Some people say that their hair feels like this when coated with cones or they really need to clarify. However, then it can't just be the last 2 inches and I don't know your routine and wether you use cones.

Have you tried oiling it? When my hair gets dry that's the first thing I try and it usually helps. Sometimes I just forget to rinse my conditioner out properly and it gets sticky, it's the sme with too high-concentrated ACV rinses.
So before you decide to trim, I'd try alterbatives before.

manderly
February 23rd, 2009, 01:43 AM
I agree with Gothic Lolita.

First thing I normally try if my hair is feeling crummy is to do a deep condition (SMT, heavy oiling, heat & conditioner, etc). If that does nothing, I try to clarify with BS mixed in with SLS poo and then condition well. If that doesn't do it, I trim a bit :)

Sometimes hair just gets damaged. Considering the hair on my ends has been through daily blowfrying for years, I'm always happy when it feels decent :)

Starr
February 23rd, 2009, 02:07 AM
Chances are if it feels like plastic, then most likely it's coated in plastic. . . just like the others said before, now might be a good time to clarify.

Sydney
February 23rd, 2009, 03:29 AM
When was your last trim?

SweetPea88
February 23rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
My hair has had that feeling before and it was due to cone buildup. I'd also suggest doing a clarifying wash and then a nice moisture treatment (I recommend coconut oil). For some reason cones on my hair usually lead to Barbie-like hair.

Gladtobemom
February 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Mine gets that way when I'm using protein products and cones together.

Even after I clarify, it seems to stay wiry, crunchy, and stickery.

I find that the Kenra clarifying shampoo, followed by a good oiling with unrefined coconut oil (last 4" of my braid or so) and it gets softer and I get that nice bend on the end.

Anything that says "hydrolized protein" doesn't mix with cones on me.

I've learned that cones help me with frizz and are OK as long as I clarify, and the Kind of cones seems to matter too. But with protein . . . plastic hair.

Susana
February 23rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
I have to agree here that the best thing might be to do a deep oil treatment, for days if you can with coconut oil. Then maybe do a BS and Vinegar Rinse ;) If its still weird, you might need to trim :S

lora410
February 23rd, 2009, 09:25 AM
I had this exact issue when I first came here. I clarified, oiled and all was right with the world again :)

rosie91
February 23rd, 2009, 09:29 AM
mine felt like this when i used a really harsh sulphate shampoo and then a coney conditioner. never again. it was awful

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 10:27 AM
Mine gets like this if I go too long without sulfate shampoo. Dull, lifeless, waxy, tangled on the ends... it needs clarifying!

Other than that, I find that my ends have the most damage (they are dyed), and that gradual trimming, accompanied with frequent *light* oilings, deep conditioning (SMT) and leave-ins, is slowly improving the texture of my hair. But if I don't wash with sulfates, the 'crunchiness' comes right back.

GlennaGirl
February 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
Do you process your hair? Mine only ever felt like that when I was commercial coloring it

MadPirateBippy
February 23rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
Clarify! After you clarify, do a vinegar rinse- that cursed my hair of the dreaded Wax Plastic feeling. Oiling can help, too.

Jae6
March 2nd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hey all, thanks for the replies and sorry I'm late! =)

I was thinking likewise like you guys, but the thing is I don't feel these plasticky ends on the shorter layers of my hair (shortest layer is at collarbone). It's just at the very bottom.

I do clarify on a regular basis, and I don't use 'cones on a regular basis. I do have one deep conditioner w/ 'cones I use once every couple of months because it's there, but otherwise I just add honey to my regular shampoo for a deep treatment + clarifying. Y'think hard water could be the issue? I use Mastey Traite as my shampoo at the moment.