PDA

View Full Version : I wear a hairstick...so what?

pdy2kn6
February 23rd, 2009, 01:16 AM
Today i woke up and something all of a sudden came over me...i just thought...screw it, i am sick of worrying about what people think about how i wear my hair. I have been very unconfident about certain styles i wear, only just recently developing the confidence to wear my hair in a bun, but wrapped around with cloth to give it a different look than the typical bun. I have previously only ever worn my hair with hairsticks infornt of my family and at home, today though i just felt...whats the worst people can think? Its my hair and i can wear it how i choose. So i got my pencil out and thought this will have to do until i recieve my gabon ebony 60th street hairfork. I cant wait till i recieve it, hopefully in the next week before uni starts. So i got my hair in to a nautilus bun i think it is called, and then went to the gym, and walked around the city centre. I felt quite self-conscious at first, trying to hide the back of my head when i was near big groups of people, however as the day went on i just thought who cares. Now i am sat in macdonalds (scrounging off their free wireless connection), and i couldn't give two-hoots. I thought safe, protective styles overrule what randomers think about me. Just wanted to share with you guys. Now i have opened up for myself a whole new world of new styles available for me to try. are there any posts which have a list of all the different varieties of buns to make using hairsticks? I really would recommend anyone who is somewhat embarrassed or worried about wearing certain hairstyles to just ignore what other people may think, looking around at everyone with typical 'male' short hair...where's the fun in that? Its always funner being different!!!:) below is a picture i took before i came to australia, of the hairbun i was wearing today...nautillus bun?

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s198/pdy2kn6/hair/ppppp044.jpg

Nat242
February 23rd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Good for you! :cheer: Your bun looks great!

My partner wears buns with stainless steel hairsticks (custom made from Nightblooming) on special occasions, and has only ever received compliments about them.

Gothic Lolita
February 23rd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Your bun is very pretty! And I'm happy for you that you decided that it's your hair and that people's comments won't bother you anymore! For me it was the same and it took a while for me to wear my hair like I wanted, not because friends like it better when it's down!

manderly
February 23rd, 2009, 01:40 AM
LOL, your post had me scratching my head for a few minutes, until I realized you're a guy! I couldn't figure out why anyone would be ashamed of wearing a bun :D

Good for you, buns can be masculine! And it looks very nice. :D

Bene
February 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
i didn't think ppl would actually say something to someone else about how they wear their hair. i mean, if mohawks can make it into generic ho-hum territory, i don't see how a dude wearing a bun in a stick would cause anyone to look twice.

by the way, great bun :D

Starr
February 23rd, 2009, 02:26 AM
Yayy for you! That definately deserves a happy dance!:disco:

People will have their opinions, the only persons who's opinion matters is your own. . . I think it's cool for guys to have long hair and rock buns (Trolleypup, Gumball, etc.) You're in good company.

Elphie
February 23rd, 2009, 03:34 AM
Nothing hotter than a guy who has the confidence to do what he wants with his hair rather than what other people expect.

Arctic
February 23rd, 2009, 03:52 AM
The bun looks great with the stick! And your hair looks great too!

Addy
February 23rd, 2009, 03:55 AM
Your bun looks fabulous! I wish I could do that!

Carina
February 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM
That bun looks awesome on you.I say go for it!I think you are doing the right thing.If they make fun of you just know that it is always good to go your own way.Good luck :waving::thumbsup:

Deimos
February 23rd, 2009, 04:20 AM
Your hair looks great like that !

pdy2kn6
February 23rd, 2009, 04:27 AM
thanks guys, im sure it was more me worrying in my own head...as whats the most that could happen? a few petty comments from randomers?? thats about it! :). does anyone know if there are any posts which has lists of buns people can make using hairsticks? TIA and thanks so much for all the confidence boosters

Trinka
February 23rd, 2009, 04:33 AM
Good for you!

Really, confidence makes all the difference when you're trying something slightly out-of-the-ordinary.

I wear hats often. I have so many other women tell me, "I love the way those look, but hats look funny on me."

I try to tell them that the reason they look funny to them is because they feel uncomfortable. If you are self-conscious, even jeans & a t-shirt looks out of place. If you're confident, you can wear just about anything.

Great looking hair!

Trinka

Amoretti
February 23rd, 2009, 04:37 AM
Men who have self-confidence are very attractive! :D

Johanna64
February 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
It's a beautiful bun!!
I think other people like it too :)

lora410
February 23rd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Good for you!!!! I wear an updo daily with a fork or stick. People usually like to see what new toy I will wear next :D

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 06:47 AM
I tend to use knitting needles to pin my hair up. Once in an emergency I had to use needles with knitting on them. I got some very funny looks I can tell you

EtherealJane
February 23rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
I think your bun looks great! I agree with everyone else--confidence is the key. I know it's hard--I struggle with my own confidence sometimes--but when YOU know you look great, other people will know too ;)

I know you asked for links for styles and such. I have a couple things bookmarked because I'm still learning too. Here's a LHC post with a bunch of links: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8235

I also suggest taking the names of the buns and typing them into youtube if you're still confused after reading written instructions. Video is usually the only way I can figure stuff like that out! HTH some! :blossom:

Kerynna
February 23rd, 2009, 06:50 AM
does anyone know if there are any posts which has lists of buns people can make using hairsticks?

Check out the "articles" link and then "hairstyling". There are lots of articles about making various kinds of buns using sticks.

Here is one article to get you started. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=106

I agree, your hair looks great and nothing is sexier than a man who is secure in himself and doesn't worry about what others think. :eyebrows:

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
thanks guys, im sure it was more me worrying in my own head...as whats the most that could happen? a few petty comments from randomers?? thats about it! :). does anyone know if there are any posts which has lists of buns people can make using hairsticks? TIA and thanks so much for all the confidence boosters

Try this site.
Its rather on the yummy side
http://www.longlocks.com/hairstyles.htm

Kerynna
February 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM
Try this site.
Its rather on the yummy side
http://www.longlocks.com/hairstyles.htm

This site also has a gallery with photos of people wearing hairsticks. The first photo is a guy. :)

http://www.longlocks.com/gallery.htm

eiyela
February 23rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
My bf wears hairsticks on occasion too, an elastic won't always hold his hair. Except for his little sisters pulling it out, he seems to like it. And I think it's pretty. :cheese:

twilight
February 23rd, 2009, 07:26 AM
LOL, your post had me scratching my head for a few minutes, until I realized you're a guy! I couldn't figure out why anyone would be ashamed of wearing a bun :D

ah! me too! can i just say i think hairsticks are WAY cooler than elastics, especially for guys? i have never seen a guy skilled enough with hair-tricks to use a hair stick (and i have known many, many guys with long hair), so i think that is absolutely fantastic.

i would probably talk to you just for that if i saw you on the street, personally... :rockerdud

Samikha
February 23rd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Good for you! You can also get some metal hairsticks to threaten people with if you're into that ;) That might be more masculine, I suppose. Not mine, though, they're too shiny...

Take a look at my signature for lots of hair style links!

paper
February 23rd, 2009, 07:45 AM
That looks great! :thumbsup: I love that style!

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
Good for you! You can also get some metal hairsticks to threaten people with if you're into that ;) That might be more masculine, I suppose. Not mine, though, they're too shiny...

!

http://www.argoth.co.uk/acatalog/alchhs6.jpg
http://www.argoth.co.uk/acatalog/Hair_sticks_and_slides.html

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 08:12 AM
canne resist this

http://brooklynbobcat.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/seand2.jpg.w300h450.jpg

ale
February 23rd, 2009, 08:23 AM
Hi, I've been wearing buns almost everyday for two years now and no one has ever made a comment about it (neither in the gym, where long hair is ususlly frown upon)! I feel that's actually "my" style, I love the look and the comfort it gives me; I even wore a bun at my own wedding!

So, be happy with your buns, and you won't ever come back!

P.S. Sometimes I went around with the bun AND a handlebar moustache: THAT got people talking and staring!

Loviatar
February 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
Another vote for thinking that buns rock on guys, too, here. :cheer:

Stainless steel chopsticks can look cool in guys' buns if you dont fancy using sticks with gemstones on them obviously, and 60th St have an array of straight forks rather than curvier ones (the 'Jeni' style is very neat in a guy's hair I think, it's kind of sharp and angular and would look great in something like charcoal dymondwood or gabon ebony.

Ron Quattro on ebay also does a lot of metal hair accessories/tools like Starlite sticks which are plain aluminium sticks - I have a charcoal pair which are sort of matte gunmetal colour, very cool. (I am not a guy but I appreciate masculine hair tools - and my partner may pinch them if he grows his hair out again :lol: )

Gladtobemom
February 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM
Wonderful,

Doesn't it feel great to just be the way you want to be?

SweetPea88
February 23rd, 2009, 08:36 AM
It looks great on you, keep on being happy with it!

neon-dream
February 23rd, 2009, 08:38 AM
Stunning bun!!
Well done :)!
:blossom:

GypsyGoddess
February 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
It looks great! Someday my hair will be as long as yours, although never as blonde...

xeternalsilence
February 23rd, 2009, 08:51 AM
Good job. :thumbsup:
It looks great!

I wore my hairsticks to school for the first time a few days ago, and received tons of weird looks and "why do you have chopsticks in your hair?"
...and I'm a girl :confused:

Aisha25
February 23rd, 2009, 08:53 AM
:applause: Im so happy for you that you finally do what you want to do. Who cares about people seriously,, there nothing but fashion sheep. You should feel very proud of yourself:thumbsup:

Peggy E.
February 23rd, 2009, 08:56 AM
The more people see those brave souls, such as you, who are willing to take a stand for their right to BE, this sort of post will be a thing of the past!

It's always taken people time to accept change - any change at all, not simply a long-haired guy wearing a bun with a hairstick. But in the realm of global priorities, why would anyone want to waste their energy on criticizing someone's hair, for godsakes?!

But when they grow accustomed to seeing your hairstick, and the guy down the street is so impressed with your bravery HE starts to wear a hairstick, which then catches the eye of a guy at a pub who notes him in the distance and thinks that's a great look and HE starts to wear a hairstick, well, pretty soon you have so many guys with long hair wearing hairsticks and nobody even remembers there was a day not long ago when a brave young man stood up and took a chance.

Such are the great revolutions in culture completed on this planet!

Good luck to you. Enjoy your hair any way you wish to wear it - be proud, confident and you will do a lot of people a great service!

Coriander
February 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
Why should you get any flak over wearing your hair up? People have different styles all the time and you don't see them being harassed over it.

I like it :D

Fluke
February 23rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
I've always thought the letter openers shaped like knives and swords and other cool stuff look so awesome used as hairsticks!
I believe I have seen some members here post pictures of things like that, I just can't remember who.

Gumball
February 23rd, 2009, 11:08 AM
It's great that you're doing what you want to do and not just what you feel you should be doing because of what others might think or say. To add to that I think your bun looks amazing! I'd sport that. Buns can be really fun to wear (see avatar) and they really can hold if you need some elemental defense! Rock on!

Feye
February 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
The bun is looking great! I like the ideas about having a nice collection of male-looking hairsticks, it will be cool!

MadPirateBippy
February 23rd, 2009, 11:52 AM
Be proud to wear your buns. It's stupid that something like a bun might be considered women only- I mean, it's only that way because so many more women have long hair.

Gender roles confound me, though. Most the time i just think they are stupid. Do what you like, and tell the rest of the world to get a grip.

Islandgrrl
February 23rd, 2009, 11:57 AM
Nice bun. Nice hair. As long as you like it, the heck with everyone else's opinion. Unless, of course, they agree with you!

CindyLea1
February 23rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
If you like the bun, go for it! I think it looks nice!

My husband has me french braid his hair on occassion. He has a mohawk and I just braid it down the middle.

Who says that men can or can't do a hair style.

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 01:34 PM
Talking about mohawks and stuff has anyone here come across a book called haircults. Its all punk and rock styles and my college library had it but i've not been able to find a copy since

dorothea-brooke
February 23rd, 2009, 02:49 PM
There's nothing more attractive than someone with confidence! Your hair looks great -- I loooove men with buns! -- and I hope you parade around with pride from now on. :)

AmyJorgensen
February 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM
I went hairstick crazy and my husband got curious and started putting his somewhat past shoulder length hair up in a bun as well. I thought it looked great on him. With his beard, I thought it looked like a combination of a samuri warrior and Thomas Jefferson. I mean that in the best way. :)

intothemist1999
February 23rd, 2009, 03:10 PM

:D I totally missed that!! :o

However, as a female, I can still relate because it took me a long time to build up the nerve to wear a bun out of the house! It's just SO different from how I normally look(ed). I really had to wean myself into wearing one at work, in particular. It's only been since the beginning of the years, but now I feel a bit self-conscious if I wear it "down" (in a pony) because of its length.

Congrats on going out with your bun! It looks fantastic!

pdy2kn6
February 23rd, 2009, 03:20 PM
Wonderful,

Doesn't it feel great to just be the way you want to be?

definately

WindowDressing
February 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
definately

It looks AWESOME.

I like the idea of a sword or a dagger also for gals or guys.

I think your look is fantastic!! Enjoy your new buns and do what you want! They look good on everyone, IMO!

My hubby is thinking of growing out his hair after retiring and the bun is one of the ways he will wear it, besides cornrows. If he gets it really long he will wear braids like American Indian warriors.

Hugs,
WD :)

Avalonna
February 23rd, 2009, 03:54 PM
Your bun looks great! I think there are plenty of manly hairstick and fork options out there -- not that you need to choose manly ones!

I tend to use knitting needles to pin my hair up. Once in an emergency I had to use needles with knitting on them. I got some very funny looks I can tell you

I am trying to imagine such an "emergency" and what your hair looked like! :D

punky
February 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM
I think your hair looks fine. Just be yourself. What about Samurai Warriors, didn't they wear ornaments in their hair. I doubt very seriously that anyone would have said anything about it.

Supermodelsonya
February 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
I feel you OP. I like it!:)

Briar
February 23rd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Not only does it look great, but I would walk up and introduce myself and shower you with compliments if I saw you sitting in a McDonald's rocking that awesome bun. Long haired guys don't do enough interesting or protective things with their hair.

As my friend who was shy but is now the lead singer of a band tells me, if you can't be confident about it, fake it until you are! :)

Nyghtingale
February 23rd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Dude, that is great hair, no matter how you wear it. :cool:

julya
February 23rd, 2009, 07:03 PM
My son has long hair too, and he sometimes asks me to put it into a bun for him. He had it in a Chinese bun just the other day. He's only four though, so I don't think he knows it's somewhat unusual.

skay
February 23rd, 2009, 07:43 PM
Today i woke up and something all of a sudden came over me...i just thought...screw it, i am sick of worrying about what people think about how i wear my hair. I have been very unconfident about certain styles i wear, only just recently developing the confidence to wear my hair in a bun, but wrapped around with cloth to give it a different look than the typical bun. I have previously only ever worn my hair with hairsticks infornt of my family and at home, today though i just felt...whats the worst people can think? Its my hair and i can wear it how i choose. So i got my pencil out and thought this will have to do until i recieve my gabon ebony 60th street hairfork. I cant wait till i recieve it, hopefully in the next week before uni starts. So i got my hair in to a nautilus bun i think it is called, and then went to the gym, and walked around the city centre. I felt quite self-conscious at first, trying to hide the back of my head when i was near big groups of people, however as the day went on i just thought who cares. Now i am sat in macdonalds (scrounging off their free wireless connection), and i couldn't give two-hoots. I thought safe, protective styles overrule what randomers think about me. Just wanted to share with you guys. Now i have opened up for myself a whole new world of new styles available for me to try. are there any posts which have a list of all the different varieties of buns to make using hairsticks? I really would recommend anyone who is somewhat embarrassed or worried about wearing certain hairstyles to just ignore what other people may think, looking around at everyone with typical 'male' short hair...where's the fun in that? Its always funner being different!!!:) below is a picture i took before i came to australia, of the hairbun i was wearing today...nautillus bun?

Pdy2kn6,

Good on you! Congrats on this milestone on hair acceptance, etc.

By the way, you know "you've arrived" when people say to you:

"Why are you wearing a bun/hairstick/etc."

and you answer (with non-chalance and just the right amount of confidence):

"Why not"?

And they take another look at you ...

and have no answer

or

say to themselves

"Hmmm, yeah why not?" :)

P.S.
I like how your hair picks up the light real well and has a nice golden color!

EdG
February 23rd, 2009, 07:46 PM
That's totally cool. Congratulations! :cheese:
Ed

pdy2kn6
February 24th, 2009, 01:58 AM
I think your hair looks fine. Just be yourself. What about Samurai Warriors, didn't they wear ornaments in their hair. I doubt very seriously that anyone would have said anything about it.

true, but i have to emphasise different era, different cultures, different set of beliefs and views. not that i care about the views of western culture no more...we shouldnt be confined to certain set of norms and values

pdy2kn6
February 24th, 2009, 02:01 AM
My son has long hair too, and he sometimes asks me to put it into a bun for him. He had it in a Chinese bun just the other day. He's only four though, so I don't think he knows it's somewhat unusual.

haha its better to start him of accepting it as normal from a young age, then he will have no fear continuing to wear it later in life :)

pdy2kn6
February 24th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Pdy2kn6,

Good on you! Congrats on this milestone on hair acceptance, etc.

By the way, you know "you've arrived" when people say to you:

"Why are you wearing a bun/hairstick/etc."

and you answer (with non-chalance and just the right amount of confidence):

"Why not"?

And they take another look at you ...

and have no answer

or

say to themselves

"Hmmm, yeah why not?" :)

P.S.
I like how your hair picks up the light real well and has a nice golden color!

lol, funny enough i have had thast answer before when my family have asked me why do i wear my hair like that...then i say "why not". and they often say..."whats the point in having long hair if you never wear it down...." one day i will shock them all :) when i finally do wear it down

Heavenly Locks
February 24th, 2009, 02:15 AM
Dude. You rock.

and your hair is awesome. :)

HoneyMouse
February 24th, 2009, 02:26 AM
Your bun looks great! I think there are plenty of manly hairstick and fork options out there -- not that you need to choose manly ones!

I am trying to imagine such an "emergency" and what your hair looked like! :D

I'll try to recreat it next time I'm doing lace and the ponies get out :) and take a pic

HoneyMouse
February 24th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I was trying to find some mens long hair sites but all I can seem to find is rasta dreadlocks or wild man of the woods.

SimplyLonghair
February 24th, 2009, 03:00 AM
I love the bun and you rock it :rockerdud Just be who you are and be cool with it! :cheese:

winter_star
February 24th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Woo Hoo! Your bun looks great. I wish my guy would try something different and wear hair sticks.

AprilElf
February 24th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Good on you! Your bun looks excellent. :thumbsup:

didrash
February 24th, 2009, 04:20 AM

Same here :) Your hair is just so nice, and the bun looks great on you! I also do not think people would comment. Some of them may think is unusual, but as they know you as a person they would not care. You can always say that you are going for an ancient chinese look :).

Hairbear
February 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Good on you. Life is too short to worry what people think. As long as it isn't harming anyone else, then why not.

You living in Australia now?

Heavenly Locks
February 24th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Ooo check out this awesome looking dragon stick! :) I think it would look cool on you...just under 7 bucks too!

http://gryphonsmoon.com/cat/jewelry/hair-accessories/dragon-hairstick.t.jpg

http://gryphonsmoon.com/Hair+Accessories.page

Les
February 24th, 2009, 05:50 AM
Greetings from another bun-wearing-man. I love the freedom & flexibility that buns provide. I have acquired a small collection of forks & stick - even made a pair of sticks myself out of carriage bolts. Though I wish I could find more sticks that weren't so jeweled with dangly bits. I used to get self-conscious when wearing a bun out, now I don't think anything about it. The only experiences I've ever had as a result of it have been positive - a few months ago I was spotted "in the wild" by another LHC member because of how I wear my hair. Keep it up, it looks good on you.

ale
February 24th, 2009, 11:03 AM
I was trying to find some mens long hair sites but all I can seem to find is rasta dreadlocks or wild man of the woods.

http://www.mlhh.org/

No rasta and no wild men!

HoneyMouse
February 24th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Thanking you ale

adiapalic
February 24th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I understand the self-conscious thing, but I've gotten lots of compliments from girls around my college when I wear my hairsticks. :) Your hair and bun-style all look great. Makes me want to go play with my hair now :D

BlackfootHair
February 24th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Good for you for not worrying about what others think.

I wish my hair was long enough for a hair stick! :D

pdy2kn6
July 6th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Good on you. Life is too short to worry what people think. As long as it isn't harming anyone else, then why not.

You living in Australia now?

true true!! too short to worry about what others think!! i was in australia for 6 months on a semester studying abroad, but now im back home safe and sound :)

pdy2kn6
July 6th, 2009, 03:07 AM
Greetings from another bun-wearing-man. I love the freedom & flexibility that buns provide. I have acquired a small collection of forks & stick - even made a pair of sticks myself out of carriage bolts. Though I wish I could find more sticks that weren't so jeweled with dangly bits. I used to get self-conscious when wearing a bun out, now I don't think anything about it. The only experiences I've ever had as a result of it have been positive - a few months ago I was spotted "in the wild" by another LHC member because of how I wear my hair. Keep it up, it looks good on you.

haha, ditto! i used to feel so self conscious about it, now its a part of my daily ritual. I remember the thread in which someone wrote how they spotted you lol, i guess hairsticks also make us long hair community members more identifiable!

Rentlle
July 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM
gosh, your bun is great!
it's so big! :D
It's realy cool that you wear buns!
all men should do that XD

GlassEyes
July 11th, 2009, 10:52 AM
Nothing wrong with that.

I admit, I freaked out a bit when I first wanted to wear hairsticks--Nightshade can vouch for that. XD; Now, I could care less, and I own quite a few, most even topped and decorated.

I could care less what anyone has to say about them. :shrug: Now, anyway.

Amara
July 11th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Go you! Nothing better than self-confidence in a guy.