PDA

View Full Version : Waxy Hair!!!!

Susana
February 22nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
Hi guys!!

I am a WO girl, but I am kinda new at it (since Jan 6.09) its worked great, except that I have hard water and right after I rinse my hair is all waxy. Does anyone now if this eventually stops happening? The waxyness goes away after some time (like a few hours...but I was just wondering if it stops happening)

And on a nostalgic note, I got tangles on my hair and I was afraid I had damaged it when I was untangling it (it was very tangled) so I cut like 1-2 inches off :(

Thanks for listening guys :)

Katze
February 23rd, 2009, 03:03 AM
Hm, for me, after a couple of months of WO my hair got waxy and would not get clean again. I finally washed using just sulfate shampoo, had happy shiny smooth hair again, and decided my hair needs sulfates.

I like WO as an in between wash - I alternate WO with shampooing, and alternate sulfate and no-sulfate 'poos, but for my fine hair and tending-towards-greasy scalp, it does not get it clean long term...

Vinegar rinses might help if you have your mind set on WO, though...make sure you do lots of scalp massaging with the diluted vinegar on your scalp, and try to work the sebum downwards... hth...

Heidi_234
February 23rd, 2009, 03:17 AM
Miracle Water (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51184), perhaps?

SweetPea88
February 23rd, 2009, 08:18 AM
I don't WO myself, but perhaps a vinegar rinse would help things?

Anje
February 23rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I've noticed that the waxyness doesn't completely go away (since sebum is waxy, after all), but it lessens a bit with time on WO.

I'll second the diluted vinegar rinse. For me, this removes quite a lot of excess sebum and gets hair quite clean. It also seems like it'll help prevent mineral buildup from the hard water, but I don't know whether this is really the case.

Susana
February 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM
Thank you so much for your prompt responses guys :)
Katzy- I initially tried to go straight into NW/SO....that was not great for me, I stuck it out for like 1 month and a half, but after it was just too oily so I rinsed with water. The first time I rinsed, my hair loved it, I don't know if it was because it was pretty well coated in sebum, but it was great and wavy and soft. I am thinking maybe I am not leaving enough time between rinses. I was just so happy with the clean looking hair that I started rinsing with water about 3 times in one week :S I will try some scalp massages and vinegar rinses. Thank you so much :)

Heidi- Thank you so much for that tip, I had never heard of Miracle Water before, I will have to check it out too. I was already thinking of a shower filter, but I thought they would be expensive. This would be much better :)

Sweet Pea 88- WOW I love your waves :) (I will try the vinegar rinse and hope it helps :) )

Anje- Good to hear from a WO girl who has the same thing :) For me, its only really an issue right after the shower, when the hair is drying. After a few hours its not terribly waxy, but I was afraid of it being a sign of mineral build up- specifically calcium, which I've read its terrible for hair and can cause even hair breakage :S It's still good to hear that it lessens with time. On an unrelated question, I really like your hair waves too, did you find that it got wavier on the WO. Mine did with the first rinse this week, but not so much since. Maybe because I stroke it down too much with a towel to move the sebum down :S?

:):) Thanks Again Ladies :) :)