PDA

View Full Version : Sock Bun - negative reactions!

YogaGirl59
February 22nd, 2009, 05:35 PM
I mentioned in an earlier thread that my DH commented that my sock bun reminded him of a Librarian or "school marm". Well, today I wore the sock bun to the gym and later took my mom out for lunch. She took one look at the sock bun and said it reminded her of an old lady at the Bingo Hall....whoa! WTH!! My mom is VERY supportive of growing my hair long. In fact, she constantly tells me long hair makes me look younger and I should not cut my hair. I guess I should give up on sock buns....sigh

Xandergrammy
February 22nd, 2009, 05:38 PM
If you like the sock bun, then you should wear it. Maybe you could add some accent braids or something to soften it up a little? I have no problem with looking like a school marm. :gabigrin:

P.S. There's a thread somewhere called The Tight Bunned Mean Ladies Club. I'm a member!

Coriander
February 22nd, 2009, 05:41 PM
I agree... if you like it, why not wear it?

Barrettes or clippies or braids might make it a little less "marm"ish, but I say wear it how you are comfy wearing it. It's your head :)

rags
February 22nd, 2009, 05:46 PM
I third the "if you like it then wear it" advice. I know my buns can make me look more severe. I just don't care. :shrug:

wackyredtangles
February 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM
I get the same thing when I wear sock buns. I also have a roundish face, so I like to do the top part in french/dutch braids or twisties, then put the back into a sock bun. Still, I say if you like it, wear it. I'm sure you look great in it. =)

Jessikinz
February 22nd, 2009, 06:44 PM
I get the same compliments, except when I wear a regular cinnabun. I just brush it off my shoulder, and go on with my day. Cause I love how my hair looks when it's up in buns, and that's the important thing to remember.

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
I think a sock bun looks very "Princess Grace-ish". If someone tells you it looks school marm-ish take out a ruler and rap their knuckles :p

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 06:56 PM
Oddly enough, the only people I tend to see in sock buns are little girls going to gymnastics or cheer classes and it strikes me as one small step away from being pigtails.

I wear them despite the fact that they are super juvinile looking, In My Humble Opinion.

So between your family's impressions and mine, we have...an 8 year old librarian school marm.

That's just weird enough I want to wear them more!

Jessaka
February 22nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with the other gals, if you like it, keep with it :) I never even heard of a sock bun til I joined the forum haha.

RavennaNight
February 22nd, 2009, 07:13 PM
Hahahahaha! DH isn't too keen on my sock buns, but I love them. He said it looks like "cebolla de cabeza." (onion head in Spanish, though it may be backwards :confused:) Any bun warrants the "stern teacher" comment from him, too. I feel for you. If you love your sock bun, then wear it. I think it's aesthetically pleasing, especially with a hooded sweatshirt, but that's just me.

PseudoScot
February 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
If it's a concern, you could try making different shaped sock buns - or add an accent braid to change the look some? That could be cool.

They'll get used to it - if you like it, that's what matters! :)

happymommy
February 22nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
How odd! I've always called them Ballerina Buns so they evoke graceful and young images for me.

I'm so sorry they hurt your feelings! Hugs!

Darkhorse1
February 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
I love the look of a sock bun!! I haven't figured out how to do it yet, but it looks nice :)

gdimoonbeam
February 22nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
Didn't the young and beautiful Audrey Hepburn wear sock buns?
Breakfast at Tiffany's

Chromis
February 22nd, 2009, 08:19 PM
Oddly enough, the only people I tend to see in sock buns are little girls going to gymnastics or cheer classes and it strikes me as one small step away from being pigtails.

I wear them despite the fact that they are super juvinile looking, In My Humble Opinion.

So between your family's impressions and mine, we have...an 8 year old librarian school marm.

That's just weird enough I want to wear them more!

Heh, and they make me flashback to the military. Hmmmm...so that's SGT 8 year old librarian school marm (who practises ballet in her spare time)!

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 10:52 PM
Heh, and they make me flashback to the military. Hmmmm...so that's SGT 8 year old librarian school marm (who practises ballet in her spare time)!

Let's call her Sergent Hilda, the Wunderkind Librarian Ballerina.

Heavenly Locks
February 23rd, 2009, 12:13 AM
Sock buns are the military bun of choice. To me, they say "serious lady alert!" ;) It's all in what you are exposed to though.

Sock buns and camo go together like peanut butter and jelly. At least to me! :)

Delila
February 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM

LOL!! Too funny.

lora410
February 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM
I love sock buns and no matter what anyone tells me I will still wear it. I haven't made one in awhile though.

SweetPea88
February 23rd, 2009, 08:59 AM

Hahaha!

I almost forgot what I was going to say for a moment...I think that sock buns look great and not old-ladylike. I hate to sound like a broken record, but it's your hair! :)

Susana
February 23rd, 2009, 09:05 AM
If your mom likes your hair long and she too didn't like it, perhaps to can "soften" it up a little bit :S (if you don't care if it looks "pretty" or not then wear it as you've been, your mom will get used to the look) but maybe you can even get her to change it up a bit for you, maybe doing some interesting parting at the front of the hair, or not pulling the hair back to tight, some toyd or something?
Check out this lady's buns, they are pretty cool :)

http://www.jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/3.html

and this:

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/meowgoddess/th_100_1366.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.network54.com/Forum/242462/message/1190314604/New%2BBuns&usg=__PQRGxFhOIxy_nEDJyuCnGUTYJmQ=&h=157&w=160&sz=6&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=LXflWaD9RKsteM:&tbnh=96&tbnw=98&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsock%2Bbun%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26clien t%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

Good luck :)

Deborah
February 23rd, 2009, 12:01 PM
The only time I have ever thought a bun looked "old ladyish" is when ladies place the bun too high on the head. I don't know if this could be the problem. Just thought I'd toss it out for consideration. :)

Fencai
February 23rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
I hadnt gotten that reaction yet, but if you like it, then keep on wearin' it! you're the one who has to tolerate it!
I like to tie pretty velvet ribbons around mine with the bow on the underside to make it a little "younger" looking.

Coriander
February 23rd, 2009, 12:17 PM

I feel a cartoon coming on...

When I have some spare time - keep posted lol

Beldaran
February 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM

I feel a cartoon coming on...

When I have some spare time - keep posted lol

LOL, I was going to go home, put on my boots and camo pants, my librarian blouse and pin striped vest a sock bun and my tiara! Do we think my husband would take a picture for me or call the asylum first?

LadyGunn
February 23rd, 2009, 12:33 PM
My mom hates my sock buns too but I wore one the other day & left the ends down & a lady at church went buggy over it. Of course, Mom doesn't like that I'm growing my hair either, but that's too bad for her... :p

Unofficial_Rose
February 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM

Snarf! That is a fantastic mental image. :rollin::applause

Actually, when I wear buns (hair too short at the moment, boo!) I always feel like: from neck up = BBC costume drama,say Jane Austen-type of thing; neck down = jeans+tshirt dress-down scruff.

NB: Tight bun + specs are SOOO good for those "For the love of God don't talk to me" days esp. at work!

Isilme
February 23rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
I hadnt gotten that reaction yet, but if you like it, then keep on wearin' it! you're the one who has to tolerate it!
I like to tie pretty velvet ribbons around mine with the bow on the underside to make it a little "younger" looking.

Funny you say that, I have always thought that a high placed bun look younger and the nape buns looks old and "granny style"
I also think it has a lot to do with what you use to dress up your bun, a totally smooth bun with no decorations at all can look old but the same bun with pink sparkly butterflies definitely looks younger!:)
It all depends on how you dress, decorate the bun, do your makeup (or none at all) and how you feel.

mooglewoo
February 23rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Ug, I hate the sock bun LOLZ Therefore I don't wear it. But I wear other buns that I do like, and when people make rude comments, I just say, "good thing it's my hair and not yours!"

So I back up all the members who have said IF YOU LIKE IT, WEAR IT! :D

vamq
February 23rd, 2009, 12:53 PM
When I make a sock bun, I always put a fake flower next to it.
Never got any bad comments

*thinks*

No, that's not true. At work, they called me a librarian. But I don't care about them :)

Amberlee
February 23rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Funny, I think the cinnamon bun looks old ladyish and the sock bun kind of regal - BUT, no one ever comments on my cinnamon bun and my mother and SIL both think the sock bun makes me look "tight."

Xandergrammy
February 23rd, 2009, 02:16 PM

:joy: I love this!!!!

joyfulmom4
February 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
I'm wearing a sock bun right now. :D I braided a scarf through mine and left the ends dangling down my back. I think it looks rather pretty and the scarf gives it a more romantic feel. Perhaps you could try decorating your bun differently? With something soft and feminine like a scarf or ribbons or some classy but young-looking clips or other accessories? Leaving a little bit of soft fluff around the hairline helps make updos look less severe too.

Otoh, some days I just don't care. I go with tightly pulled back buns when I'm in too much of a hurry to mess with decorations and frills. :)

joyfulmom4
February 23rd, 2009, 02:32 PM
One more thought.

Where I position my bun makes a difference in how matronly I appear. I happen to be a short person and have a short neck. This means that buns positioned low on the back of my head look frumpy b/c the eye is drawn downward. A bun placed higher up toward the crown gives the illusion of more height and a longer neck. The whole appearance is younger and fresher on me when I wear the bun higher. Otoh, some of the women I see look positively elegant with low buns. I tend to think women with long slender necks wear low buns beautifully. But ymmv. If I do wish to wear my bun lower, I can still get a nice look by sweeping the front and sides upward toward the crown and clipping them there before I make the bun at the lower position.

In any case, where you position the bun it at least as important as the style of bun. Try out different placements to find what suits you best.

coppercurls
February 23rd, 2009, 08:46 PM
I think a sock bun looks very "Princess Grace-ish". If someone tells you it looks school marm-ish take out a ruler and rap their knuckles :p

I like the way you think!:p

plainjanegirl
February 24th, 2009, 06:35 AM
if you look on my profile page I have a pic of when I recently did a sock bun with pin curls.

angelthadiva
February 24th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I'm saddened that their response to my beloved sock bun style was negative...When I wear a sock bun, I get the "ooohs and aaahs" and "how'd ya do that?" :D

Ahem, I bet if you do "naughty librarian" for DH he will change his mind about the whole thing...It's call conditioning! :)

LaurelSpring
February 24th, 2009, 06:57 AM
3 words come to mind....

Hot for Teacher.... :eyebrows:

rymorg2
February 24th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Sock buns are the military bun of choice. To me, they say "serious lady alert!" ;) It's all in what you are exposed to though.

Sock buns and camo go together like peanut butter and jelly. At least to me! :)

OMG I've worn my camo fork in a sock bun, does that count????

rymorg2
February 24th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I get that all the time too. I don't listen. I love sock buns and they're HUGE on the back of my head due to all my hair. Any bun that eats the back of my hair is a good bun in my book. Just look at my siggie. LOL....

I work in a salon, I'm a manager and stylist. One of my employees looked at it the first time I wore it and said "that bun looks like you have one of those bun formers in it" and I said "that's because I do, my hair isn't long enough to do this on it's own." She just smirked at me.

I'm sure I'll get to the point where sock buns aren't in my repertoire anymore, and that's ok, I'll have other buns I will be able to do at that point.

JamieLeigh
February 24th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Ha ha! I KNOW I look like a librarian, no matter what updo I try, thanks to these rectangular, thick-framed, tortoise-shell glasses. But I embrace it. You know, a lot of people think librarians are hot! ;)

I am jumping on with what most have already said in this thread: If YOU like it, since it's YOUR head, wear it!!!

rymorg2
February 24th, 2009, 08:19 AM
One more thing....as for placement, I tend to place mine low on my head due to issues with the weight of my hair.

lillerina
February 24th, 2009, 10:00 AM
I'm planning on getting a, well, I've always called it a 'doughnut' because that's how it looks, but it's a sort of net version of the rolled sock for padding out buns. But I sometimes make a 'fake sock bun', that is a bun where I split the hair in half and roll it out, and pin it there. It gives the smoothness and the picture of the hair radiating from the centre much like a sock bun, but I can make it as big or small as I like, and I don't have the extra hair to worry about. I tend to make it enormous, and then the only comments I get are "wow, your hair is huge!"

LadyLongLocks
February 24th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Sock buns are fun, but I don't wear them in public-only for photos. I think they are great for shorter hair since they make a nice big neat bun.
I have so much hair that these days I try to minimize the bun so a sock bun not for me.
I now have a bun called the MOCK SOCK. It looks like a sock bun but it is with hair only-no sock insert. I'm working on photos.
That was a mean comment about your sock bun! Next time make a double one...one on each side...he he.

twilight_faerie
February 24th, 2009, 05:53 PM
As so many others have said: If you like it, wear it. Who cares what other people think?

If you really want to soften up the way your sock bun (any bun, really) looks, though, try pulling a few tendrils of hair out at the front and let them hang down.

Myrrh
February 24th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I love sock buns! Especially when I want to keep everything out of the way, nice and neat.

Mike
February 24th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I checked out sock buns on youtube. They look cool and make it look like you have more hair. I see more guys wearing buns these days. When my hair is long enough I am going to try it. I can't wait for someone to tell me I look like a LibrariMAN haha. I'll tell them their book is overdue.

Chrissy
February 25th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Hey....what happened to the old standby LHC phrase.....I'M NOT HERE TO DECORATE YOUR WORLD!!:agree: I do love sock buns and can't wait until I can once more make one!!!

Rock your hair girl!!!!

harpyangel
February 25th, 2009, 06:47 AM
I'm wearing my first EVER sock bun today! (Bought this morning) :) No compliments so far but I feel like a ballerina! When I mention that it's new people have said they like it. Also bought a scrunchie with sparkly beads on so that helps, and a butterfly clip.

Yea I went a bit crazy in Boots this morning, good times!
Harpyangel xxx

~GypsyCurls~
February 26th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I just recently got one of those doughnut things and am looking forward to wearing it! I seem to be bun challenged...and with my black framed glasses I will rock the sexy librarian look! :D

Shanarana
February 26th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Here's my sock bun. I find that if I have wisps of hair coming out it doesn't looks as "stern".

Ok, link not showing, but the picture is on my profile page.

LaurelSpring
February 26th, 2009, 01:46 PM
This thread inspired me to wear my sock bun hair today. I have a foam form but I dont really like it so much so I went back to my first one which is an old brown sock. This one is smaller and I am able to stick a metal hair stick through it. I want to find one of those mesh ones or try to make one. The foam ones you cant stick anything through. I did receive one compliment. ;)