PDA

View Full Version : First Chinese Bun!

Tangles
February 22nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
This is a major landmark for me. I always saw the Chinese Bun as an intricate style reserved for those with lonnnng hair, but surprisingly, it works quite well on my upper BSL hair.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/lbphe/ChineseBun.jpg

Don't laugh at the hair stick. Chopsticks are all I currently have. I later shaved them down with a pencil sharpener and they will work quite well that way. In celebration of this achievement, I also ordered my first pair of real hairsticks from Nightshade's site. I wasn't planning on being enabled, but I found the PERFECT set, so yeah, I kinda caved in.

Coriander
February 22nd, 2009, 05:00 PM
Congratulations! :cheese:

I am digging the chopstick hairstick, actually. Goes with the theme :)

And Nightshade's sticks are gorgeous aren't they? They're going to be my graduation present to myself.

Congrats again! It looks great!

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
I was suprised too at how little length is needed for a Chinese bun. I think yours looks great. Enjoy your new hairsticks! Being enabled is a GOOD thing! ;)

Tangles
February 22nd, 2009, 05:07 PM
The thing about the Chinese Bun is that it looks so hard and so unusual, but it's ridiculously easy, and at least on me it holds rather well. As you can see I used claw clips to reinforce because I was paranoid it would all fall apart before I got a chance to photograph it. I will use pins next time.

I know, I felt so guilty about buying the sticks because I am not justified right now, but it was literally a design I would have made myself. I couldn't resist :p

Mary <><
February 22nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
Gorgeous! Count me in as another one who was shocked by how little hair is required for a chinese bun. The one in my siggy was done with about 15" of hair! Love the chopstick, but I am sure Nightshade's will be way more asthetically pleasing for you, LOL! She has beautiful hair toys!

Gumball
February 22nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
It looks fantastic, Tangles! I'm so happy you've reached such a great landmark for yourself!

SweetPea88
February 22nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
It looks great! I bet it will look even more gorgeous with that new stick! :)

enfys
February 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
oh it looks lovely! I'm wearing my first Chinese bun too haha. It's funny how it makes it look like your hair is longer than it is too. It's quite chunky compared to most buns.

Tangles
February 22nd, 2009, 05:27 PM
It reminds me of eggs in a nest. LOL. I think next time I'll try to reserve more hair for the outside part.

Xandergrammy
February 22nd, 2009, 05:32 PM
That's a beautiful Chinese bun!! My first Chinese bun was made with a stalk of bamboo that was about a foot long!!!

AJoifulNoise
February 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
That looks lovely. You did a great job! The chinese bun was my favorite for a very long time. I've been trying to bring it back for a while now, but I'm stuck on the cinnabun. And I prefer my chinese buns braided.

I :inlove: Night Blooming. You'll have to take an action show when you get it!

littlemiss
February 22nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
Looks great!! enjoy your new sticks!!!

Kerynna
February 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
That looks beautiful! I tried to do a Chinese bun on my hair the other day and I still can't do it. It looks amazing on you, so I'll just keep on trying. ;)

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 06:46 PM
Congrats! It took me forever to figure out chinese buns, but they are such an elegant way of spiffing up a ponytail.

Tangles
February 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
It's weird but this is way easier for me than any of the other styles... for ex. I can't do a proper cinnabun, the way it is portrayed here, or a lazy wrap.

Jessaka
February 22nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
I think it's very pretty! I need to get cracking learning these different buns.

Arctic
February 23rd, 2009, 12:15 PM
Well done Tangles, it looks great!
I can technically make a chinese bun I can't seem to be able to hide the elastic and it never looks nice, I guess I need a bit more length. Or thinner elastics, I usually use terry cloth types. Or plain old practice :o

Unicorn
February 23rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Congratulations, is looks georgous.

Unicorn

Feye
February 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Congratulations! I also learned how to do this just recently, doesn't it feel empowering to know a few styles? :D

RedStripe
February 23rd, 2009, 03:15 PM
Looks great! This is also one that I learned recently and like. I also find that it holds really well and that it's really easy to do -- except I have the hiding--the-elastic problem too.

Fencai
February 23rd, 2009, 03:39 PM
congrats!!!! That is indeed wonderful!!!!

Supermodelsonya
February 23rd, 2009, 05:55 PM
I don't have hair nearly as long for this style but I still stick a chopstick in for decoration mostly.... It looks good!

LifeisAdventure
February 23rd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Great job and congrats on your first enabling! ;) Many more are likely to follow.
And hey, your hair may only be BSL, but it's shiny and sleek and looking great! Keep growing!

kali_shey
February 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Gorgeous!

Wow, I'm way too dim to figure that out. :::envy:::