PDA

View Full Version : I'm bored with my hair, and I want advice (Kinda long and pic heavy).

wackyredtangles
February 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM
So I'm just bored with my hair. I recently got a haircut, where the hairdresser interpretted my request for a trim with a very slight angle that was already cut into my hair the way i wanted it to hack off a good inch or two for an angle. Its hard to do any cool updos now.

I'm also bored with the color. I'm a natural redhead, the very carrot-top orange variety, although it did darken up with age, and I decided to start to henna. The first time around I loved it. It was the perfect auburn color. It hasn't changed too much, I'm just a bit bored with it. I've never has any haircolor besides red, but I have changed around the shade alot, and added highlights and such. About two years ago I decided to get serious about my hair health, and I haven't dyed it since until the aforementioned henna. I've done the henna dye about 2 - 4 times, once a month. One really awful side effect is that it got rid of all my natural curl, which was kinda sad.

And now I'm just bored. I'm very blah with my hair right now. I know I won't get it cut, I've done that too many times, then wound up with a hairstyle I hate. Long hair is definetely the easiest to maintain and 'style'.

Anyways, looking for some advice on a new haircolor. I'm thinking of going a really dark brunette with reddish tints. I'm not sure though. Its hard to take that leap of not being a redhead anymore, as its always made me kind of unique. I'll only use natural haircolor, meaning henna, amla, and/or indigo.

Advice would be really really really appreciated! thanks so much!

wackyredtangles
February 22nd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Ack I'm sorry! I'm so bad at this pic uploading thing.

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh273/jilrowe91286/Hair/fortfoster.jpg

Coriander
February 22nd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, aren't you gorgeous! :thud:

I really love the third photo - your hair is a perfect tone for your beautiful skin, I just can't get over it.

I would suggest, having been a color addict for awhile, that you start slow if you want to go darker. Maybe go one or two shades darker at first and see if you like it. It's harder to go back if you don't, trust me :laugh:

I have never hennaed myself, so I don't have any sage advice with that - but I know there are henna experts on this board who will be along to give advice.

Good luck :)

scalawaggirl
February 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Well, I'm a natural redhead, too (similar to your coloring), and I ended up going too dark at one point from chemical dyes. It didn't flatter my coloring at all and I put highlights in to lighten things up. Ultimately, I decided to go the natural route so am glad to hear that you intend the same. Coriander's right that you look great!

Fast forward and I'm back to being a redhead. I do understand the desire to change things up but if you go dark with Indigo/Amla, it may be tough to get back should you change your mind later. Now, having said that, a lot of us have had success lightening our henna/indigo hair w/various methods while using coconut and other oils to do a pretreatment for protection but I wouldn't count on that because it's a gamble. A gloss might be an option to give you some color depth but not too much change.

I do think that being a redhead is unique and especially, if it flatters you, which it certainly does. How about considering some fringe or some face-framing layers (nothing drastic, though)?

Is there anything else that you are concerned about with your hair? Are you happy otherwise with the state and your routine? These might also be things to consider to change it up.

wackyredtangles
February 22nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Coriander -
Thanks so much! Especially for the skin part. I used to have alot of acne, still kinda do, so when anyone tells me I have nice skin I'm still kind of, huh, me?

Scalawagagirl -
You're right with the being a redhead is cool thing. Again, its always made me kind of unique. I'm not really sure I want to do alot of layers or anything. I've tried them before, and they look great at the hairdressers, but then once I get back home and wash out my hair I can never get them to look again. I had bangs once, and I really didn't like them, but maybe I'll look into it. Is a fringe the same thing as bangs?

I was thinking of going brunette because I know I can do it naturally. I'm also pretty sure the color would suit as my mom has my exact skin and eye coloring (creepily so, in fact) and she has really dark brown, almost black hair with a bit of reddish tint to it. I always thought it was gorgeous. All of her sisters have the same color hair too.

I'm not sure. I'm leaning towards getting some amla, and doing that with cassisa, to get rid of some of the brassiness and hopefully get some curl back. I guess I'll think on it more though.

Thanks!

spidermom
February 22nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Very honestly, I don't get this idea of being bored with your hair color. How much time do you spend looking at your hair color? I get so busy that I could just about forget what color my hair is. Anyway ....... if you're bored, I think it would be a better idea to find something more rewarding to do with your time. A new color becomes the same old color as time passes by.

wackyredtangles
February 22nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Spidermom -

I'm actually a very busy person. I attend college, I work, and I'm currently applying for grad school. Too much free time is not my issue here, and neither is not having enough rewarding things to do.

I like to feel attractive, play with my look, and change around colors. I was looking for advice on what colors I could do naturally that people thought would look good. I appreciate you taking the time to post, but its not exactly valid as I have different thoughts and priorities on things.

spidermom
February 22nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Absolutely. No problem. We're all different.

maunaloa
February 22nd, 2009, 06:51 PM
I don't have any advice. Just wanted to pop in and say I LOVE the pic of you sticking out your tongue. You are gorgeous - even being silly. :p

melrose1985
February 22nd, 2009, 06:52 PM
I wish i had you hair color!! i love red heads, Well mostly the boys : )

You hair color is so pretty

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 08:53 PM
Your hair is amazing and lovely- I hope to cure your boredom you decide to learn a few new updos instead of do anything drastic to it- your hair is so pretty and it looks so good on you!

Heavenly Locks
February 23rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have nothing to add, except that your current hair color and skin are like...amazing. Lucious looking really. :)

I will also say that a few new updo styles or some hair toys might cure your boredom. I'll be sad if you color it darker...it won't take away from your beauty, but I think it's perfect the way it is!

Curlsgirl
February 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM
I do understand about being bored with color but remember also that you will have to deal with the "root touchup thing" with almost anything you do unless it is very temporary. THAT is the headachy part. Trust me!

jivete
February 23rd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Try some wigs. I think it's a great way to try a new cut/color without the committment or damage. I know some people that change their hair color on a regular basis, but usually have to keep it fairly short in order to do it.

I don't know how adventurous you are, but dread-falls are fun or any of the crazy color clip-ins. But nothing beats a good wig for a complete make-over. I'm thinking of getting another one soon, maybe really dark, stick straight with heavy bangs...

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
Can I show you guys a really great load of styles on this LJ page

http://luna-tech.livejournal.com/

Anje
February 23rd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Just wanted to say hello and welcome from one redhead grad student in Indiana, to another.

wackyredtangles
February 25th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the outpouring of support, everyone!!

curlsgirl - Having to keep up with the color is a big pain sometimes, but its also kind of fun if you like what you're doing. I do NOT like the way my hair looks with noticeable roots. So that is a major point in favor of leaving my hair alone.

Thanks everyone so much for your compliments. =)

I'm not sure what I'll do right now. Its still the darker henna color, and I'm undecided on going brown or not. I guess I'll keep it for now, and try some new updos to see if that alleviates my boredom. We will see. Might also be this time of year, it always makes me kind of batty. Well, battier than usual. =)

Teazel
February 25th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I agree with Heavenly Locks - your natural colouring is perfect the way it is, and I urge you to experiment with updos and hair toys before you do anything drastic with the colour. :flower:

akiss4lexie
February 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM
Oh man, I was JUST there a few weeks ago. I was getting bored of my hair, and longing for highlights (which is the stupidest idea I could have, since I just finished growing out highlights from 2.5 years ago).

Then one fateful night a week & a half ago, I had some friends over at my place, and I was fixing my hair after drinking some gin & tonic. I looked at myself in the mirror and said, "Something's missing... You know what I need? BANGS!" and I went and grabbed the scissors and proceeded to cut in some sideswept bangs. Don't ask me why my friends chose to sit out in the living room laughing, rather than trying to talk me out of it. I'm starting to question whether they really have my best interests at heart.. :confused:

Anyways, I actually LOVE it. I haven't regretted my drunken haircut for a moment. The bangs frame my face nicely, I can pull them back with a cute clip when I need them out of my way, they add some oomph to the otherwise plain hairstyles I've been wearing the past few months. It's amazing how much just chopping a few inches off a chunk of hair has changed my attitude toward my whole head of hair.

The point I'm making is that before you go making permanent changes that you might regret, or that might hinder your progress towards long-term goals, see if there isn't something more minor or temporary you can do to liven things up. As others have suggested, do some different updos, get something new to put in your hair, cut in bangs. (I'm considering playing around with clip-in highlights to satisfy my craving without the damage.) If you really think that changing your color is the way to go, then do what makes you happy. For what it's worth, I think you look gorgeous the way you are. (I really love that shirt you're wearing in the second pic, btw!)

tiny_teesha
February 26th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Perhaps try a rinse first, deposit only, so you can see how your hair would look like without it being permanent? That is a change that will last a while but not take years to grow out!

patissegrietje
February 26th, 2009, 04:37 AM
I photoshopped your picture to brownish and a different type of red. Ihave to say that i like your natural colour best, but i'm biased because it looks al lot like mine and after tons of dyeing adventures i settled with my natural tone :wink:
I agree with tiny teesha to take a rinse first so you can still wash it out if you don't like it!

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/ouwekrakkemik/fortfoster03.jpg

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k210/ouwekrakkemik/fortfoster02.jpg

HTH, back to work!

jeniffer
February 27th, 2009, 04:06 PM
girl your hair is amazing, are you sure you are not just having one of those bad hair days?

Pierre
February 27th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Try mixing amla with henna and see if your hair gets curlier. I don't see that much difference, but some people do.

If the henna is too dark, you can dilute it with cassia. And if you want to go darker, you can gradually add indigo or katam to your mix.

I agree with Heavenly Locks: try some new updos or hairtoys. I recently invented one (at least no one else knew what it's called) in which I make a braid on each side, join the braids at the occiput, and fold it up on top (see my album for pictures). I have Ficcares and hair scroos and am planning to get some Flexi-8s.

feralnature
February 27th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Just wanted to add that I agree with the remark about you having beautiful skin. It is not until we are older that we realize what we have lost, never underestimate the virtues of youth.

Demetrue
February 27th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I think your hair and coloring are already gorgeous _ I would NOT go with brown, BUT, I sense that you are looking for a more dramatic look - maybe more of a contrast, so I would say go with a henna/cassia mix to make the red really pop.

wackyredtangles
April 13th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I just really wanted to thank everyone for their support. All the nice words stayed my hand, so to speak, from anything drastic. I waited it out, and decided to stick with the red, and even toned down the henna some. The night before last I did a 1:1:1 henna:cassia:amla mix with half a can of coconut milk. Diluting the henna and adding the coconut milk brought it down to the perfect shade, very close to my natural hair color, and I love it. I'll definitely be staying a redhead. =)

learnthenLive!
April 13th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I just wanted to say red hair is my favorite and your hair is so beautiful! I wish my hair was your color. I don't have any experience with coloring hair so I have no input I just wanted to tell you that your hair is beautiful.

KajiKodomo
April 13th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I just wanted to say that your hair is gorgeous! :D

Islandgrrl
April 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM
From one redhead to another....embrace the red.

I spent too many years coloring my hair BROWN because I didn't like my redness. No matter what color I made my hair...it always turned red again. Whatever I put on faded, got brassy, whatever...but the red always showed through.

Love the red.

wintersun99
April 13th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I just really wanted to thank everyone for their support. All the nice words stayed my hand, so to speak, from anything drastic. I waited it out, and decided to stick with the red, and even toned down the henna some. The night before last I did a 1:1:1 henna:cassia:amla mix with half a can of coconut milk. Diluting the henna and adding the coconut milk brought it down to the perfect shade, very close to my natural hair color, and I love it. I'll definitely be staying a redhead. =)

Yay! Don't know if what I have to say now, is valid, but maybe...

If you are finding that the many layers of henna are weighing your hair down (i.e. curl loss, etc.) than you can do a few things to lighten or remove a layer of two. You can try making an Amla+EVOO hair pack and leave on for an hour or so. Or, you may also want to try a couple yogurt or mayo packs. If truly desperate, a bit of 10% peroxide for a short period of time (less than an hour and only do it once). You may find that just a bit of henna removal will bring the curls back. These methods should not change the color much, if at all. Maybe a shade.

Also wanted to mention that using chemical color over BAQ henna is certainly doable, but in my experience it rarely lasted. Something about the henna blocked the chemical dye from adhering to my hair. Semi-perm dyes washed out almost immediately and perm. dyes stuck around a week or two and than disappeared. I was left with damaged hair, using the perm. dye. Rinses will more than likely not yield a result, at all.

If, in the end, you still want to try changing the color then maybe just go for a few highlights or lowlights around the face, not throughout the whole hair.

Oh, and go treat yourself to a new hair treat or toy! :eyebrows: