PDA

View Full Version : Helping your hair to grow

HoneyMouse
February 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
My hair is about waist length and has been for about a year or more. I don't cut but it just isn't growing. I'm trying rosemary rinses as I was told they might help but I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions. My great granny could sit on hers but I'd be happy if mine at least was down to my bum.

apols if this is in the wrong place

neon-dream
February 22nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Some people's hair just stalls for a while at certain lengths, mine stalled between BSL and waist for around 2 years. Now it's almost waist!! Woo.
Maybe this has happened to you?

plainjanegirl
February 22nd, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hi and welcome to LHC! Yes I second that hair can stall. Also do you heat style your hair in any way ? If you do then you could be getting growth but it could be breaking off from damage....just an idea.

Flaxen
February 22nd, 2009, 02:05 PM
We had a member here a while ago who thought her hair was incapable of growing longer than waist. Then she started wearing it up all the time, and now her hair is beyond classic length. If you wear your hair down a lot, give that a try. :smile:

littlemiss
February 22nd, 2009, 02:08 PM
Hang in there with time and patience it will grow, personal Iv found grow my hair to be a long Process and have needed lots of patience, and my hairs not even long yet!!!

plainjanegirl
February 22nd, 2009, 02:27 PM
We had a member here a while ago who thought her hair was incapable of growing longer than waist. Then she started wearing it up all the time, and now her hair is beyond classic length. If you wear your hair down a lot, give that a try. :smile:

That is a good idea too. I have been trying this last week to wear my hair up, but sometimes I do a braid cause the updos are alot of pressure on my head and neck.

LHGypsyRose
February 22nd, 2009, 02:29 PM
You've already gotten some great answers but I thought I would add onto it. My hair has also gone through those looong resting phases even when I wasn't trimming all that often, and I hope it don't happen again any time soon:pray:. For what ever reason...it took me forever to get passed classic length! It seems that I floated somewhere between tailbone and classic for years! Just don't get disscouraged, because alot of people give up and end up cutting at this point.

Debra83
February 22nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
Are you taking enough vitamins for your hair? Are you wearing it down too much? Just this week I discovered that my woolen Hudson's Bay winter coat (which I put on quite frequently during the day when I go for smoke breaks) may be "trimming" my hair at the collar area - so now, I'm making sure to try to remember to put it up in a clip when I put my coat on. It came to my attention after I read a post from a lady whose hair stalled for about 2 years at about midback and she realized she was trimming it with her office chair all the time. Sometimes we have to really look to see what we are putting our hair through without realizing it.
Are you scalp massaging? (big difference) - are you implementing all the great advice available on this site? I'm sure it will kick off in no time if you are.

squiggyflop
February 22nd, 2009, 02:42 PM
i suggest vitamins and possibly a one month series of monistat treatments.. my hair used to grow ultra fast with natrol skin hair nails vitamins plus a centrum (like 2-3 inches a month) but vitamins will only help bring your hair to the maximum speed allowed by your genetics.. i recently had a stall and a short series of monistat treatments made it start back up again.. how do you wear your hair when you sleep? do you use satin pillowcases? how do you detangle.. what kinds of combs/brushes do you use.. cones or no cones?

DragonLady
February 22nd, 2009, 02:51 PM
My hair didn't seem to want to pass my waist for a decade. I thought my previous damage from dye and perms had ruined it, and that I would never grow more. Then I came here, and reading through the discussions, I slowly began to realize the problem was my chair.

My hair always grew at a normal pace, until I started working from home on the internet. I've been working from this chair since 2001, and never realized it was abrading my hair and causing it to break off. I've covered it with a big sheet of slippery, satin-y polyester and am very careful now about not letting my hair get trapped between my back and my chair -and I've reached tailbone just since July.

wackyredtangles
February 22nd, 2009, 03:50 PM
I've noticed that my hair grows the most when I wear it up alot. There are just an awful lot of perils to wearing it down. I also started putting a piece of silk over my head for when it dries to keep it from getting damaged when its when.

Hope this helps.

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 09:33 PM
All the advise here is fantastic. I'd say join a "hair up for a month" challenge, learn some non-damaging hairdos, and then read, read, read, read. This forum is an amazing source of information. If your hair has half a chance of getting longer, with the information and support you will get here, you'll get to your goal length in no time. :)

arabidbutterfly
February 23rd, 2009, 12:56 AM
Also, in addition to all the great tips so far, be sure to protect your hair at night with a braid, updo, scarf, or combination

Gothic Lolita
February 23rd, 2009, 01:38 AM
The tips you got are great and have helped already many members. But since when didn't you trim it? I believe it was Spidermom, who got a great growth spurt after trimming her wonderful hair a little bit. For some people trimming makes a bit difference and encourages the hair to grow, maybe because the ends are trimming themselves.

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 02:45 AM
goodness thank you for all your replies. I don't heat style my hair more then once every couple of months and I do tend to wear it down a lot 'cos its just easier in the mornings to brush and tie. I'd never cut my hair so no fear of that and I've got it up in a edwardian twist this morning so I don't know how *up* this counts as.
I've never tried vitamins for my hair but I'll defin give it a try. I did scalp masssage a some of years back and it did start to grow but I had forgotten about it.
I wear my hair loose when I sleep and pillow cases are just plain cotton mix. one Q tho what are monistat treatments and are they expensive.

thanks everyone

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 02:48 AM
I'll check out the hair up for month challenge I really like the idea of it. My sisters hair is down around her bum and its really fine and naturally highlighted in about 4 shades. *envy* *envy* lol. I'll start wearing it up at night as well

arabidbutterfly
February 23rd, 2009, 02:53 AM
There is an entire thread on here about monistat (mn)and all the different ways people use it and the results. You should be able to find it easily using the search feature. It is quite lenthy and in-depth.

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 06:24 AM
thanks. will check it out