PDA

View Full Version : scalp hair pulling

Comfrey
February 22nd, 2009, 06:36 AM
I was wondering if any of you are losing hair from the top of your heads due to hair being pulled when its kept in a bun.

Before I came here, I normally shoved my hair in a scrunchie. Now though I often put it in a cinnamon bun, which means the scalp hair needs to be caught by whatever grips or sticks are being used.

Does this constant gripping/pulling cause hair loss at all? I'm just a bit concerned thats all. :rolleyes:

eadwine
February 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless you put it up really tight. Simply vary with the placement and when something does pull I grab a small knitting needle and unpull the hairs that pull.

Fairlight63
February 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM
When I put my hair up in a scrunchie I put a large bobby pin at the base of the scrunchie to give the pony tail or bun some support so it doesn't pull too much. I try not to wear my hair up in the same style all the time to give it a break.

Sunshine69
February 22nd, 2009, 11:59 AM
When I put my hair up in a scrunchie I put a large bobby pin at the base of the scrunchie to give the pony tail or bun some support so it doesn't pull too much. I try not to wear my hair up in the same style all the time to give it a break.

I don't understand. How are you placing the bobby pin so that it helps support? I'd like to try this if I can figure out what you're talking about :)

spidermom
February 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
I haven't noticed any extra hair loss. I can't tolerate anything being pulled tight, so if I feel any pulling at all, I re-do my style until it's comfortable.

GlennaGirl
February 22nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
The last time my hair was fairly long (or longer than it is now), I wore it in a hairstick nearly daily for about a full year and I definitely didn't get any thinning.

Comfrey
February 22nd, 2009, 02:02 PM
thanks everyone, it's probably me being paranoid :o

s_tresses
February 22nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
I used to put gel on my hair and put it in a *really* tight ponytail. I had very thick and frizzy hair at the time which means a lot of weight pulling it down. And yes I have had hair loss due to that and many other factors. But yea, I don't think its a good idea for hairstyles to be really tight.

Coriander
February 22nd, 2009, 03:16 PM
I didn't notice any hair loss but I do notice a lot of pulling and tenderness if I have my bun in the same place every day. Also if I wear a ponytail the weight of it will pull on me.

Try varying the placement, and try using different hair toys in different places too :)

julya
February 22nd, 2009, 03:51 PM
I was complaining about hairline pulling from updos at a meet and Dianyla suggested separating out the top section of hair first, then mixing the hair back together and putting it all up. It is very simple, but it does help with that pulling feeling.

sharpclaw
October 19th, 2009, 11:56 AM
My apologies for reviving an old thread, but I am really relieved to read this. I have been wearing my hair in the same tight braid for over fifteen years and notice that my hair seems thinner than it used to be. I am going to look around this forum for ideas on other styles that keep my hair out of my way, but do not constantly pull so hard on my scalp!

Magicknthenight
October 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Ah i know what you mean! I've been worried about this as well. When i first came here my hair seemed pretty thick. Now it really bothers me how thin it feels. I try not to make my hair too tight when i put it up but sometimes I'm in a hurry or i just make it to where it feels secure and at the end of the day have a sore scalp to where it was apparently too tight. Looking back at pictures and the differences i wondered if it was due to tight hair but just put it off saying it was less frizz because i was taking care of my hair. I do wear the same styles pretty much all the time. I know i need to learn more but i usually don't get it or it doesn't stay. I mostly do the lazy bun which is fine but I've realized hair forks can easily make it too tight. I also sometimes do a Chinese braided bun but i have to wrap it pretty well so it doesn't unravel.
I don't really know what to do about it except make sure its pretty loose when i put it up even if it feels like it might fall...

Tressie
October 19th, 2009, 08:14 PM
I was complaining about hairline pulling from updos at a meet and Dianyla suggested separating out the top section of hair first, then mixing the hair back together and putting it all up. It is very simple, but it does help with that pulling feeling.

Thank you! This is a good idea to try. I've been a bit concerned about the hairline receding due to the pulling from updos!

Tressie
October 19th, 2009, 08:17 PM
thanks everyone, it's probably me being paranoid :o

Well, if it is, that same paranoia has been around my bathroom mirror lately too!:( I hope it really isn't thinning for either of us!:)

clairenewcastle
October 19th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I started to suffer a receding hairline about 7 - 8 years ago due to my hair being worn in a tight ponytail every day, a style I really now regret wearing for that reason.
My hair hasn't really recovered.

fluffybunny
October 19th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Oh, no, I made the mistake of googling this topic. Did you know there's a medical term for hair loss due to bun wearing? "Chignon alopecia". Horrors!

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1073559-overview

This article suggests you'll get dandruff and itching in the affected area before the permanent damage. I guess that's some comfort.

sharpclaw
October 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
Oh, no, I made the mistake of googling this topic. Did you know there's a medical term for hair loss due to bun wearing? "Chignon alopecia". Horrors!

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1073559-overview

This article suggests you'll get dandruff and itching in the affected area before the permanent damage. I guess that's some comfort.Thanks for sharing this article. I could not understand at least half the terms used, but still got the general idea.

Overall, I need to find good alternatives for keeping my hair back and controlled, but not bound tightly in a perpetual braid that puts so much stress on my hair and scalp.

Anje
October 21st, 2009, 01:00 PM
Sharpclaw, it's possible that wearing the same tight braid all the time could affect your thickness, and varying things a bit certainly won't hurt. Even braiding high or low or doing french braids could make a difference. It's also possible that some thinning might simply be due to 15 years of aging. Most of us have thinner hair in our 20s or 30s than in our teens, and it often thins out a bit more later in life. (Lots of exceptions of course, including some folks who actually seem to thicken.)

Oh, and welcome to LHC!

sharpclaw
October 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Anje, thank you for the information. I originally was rather panicked when I noticed that I was shedding more hair than usual lately (and have since learned that might just be seasonal shedding) and learned that constantly stressed hair could thin out.

Just age probably has more to do with my hair being thinner than it was, but, as you said, it could still use some variation for its health. People -- including me -- constantly call my hair beautiful, and when I let it down, look at it, and say, "That is not beautiful," it is time to give it a break and make some changes! :sad

And thank you for the welcome. :)

jojo
October 21st, 2009, 01:53 PM
I get more hairloss from keeping it down.