PDA

View Full Version : Temporary Hair Color

Chrissy
February 22nd, 2009, 05:31 AM
I've been pondering the idea of coloring my hair. I don't want a permanent one though. I'm just bored with my hair color. It does not look as good in person as in my profile pic. I thought it would be fun to do a temporary color. I can't afford big bucks. Are there any in the regular retail stores that are kind (as much as that is possible with color) to your hair?

I would like suggestions from anyone who has ever done this. Also I don't want permanent cause as my hair grows I don't want the maintenance. Oh and does temporary color just fade away after awhile?

Thanks!!

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
Stay far far away from Natural Instincts! :scared: At one time it worked very well and then they change it. Made it "New and Improved" :bull: and :liar: It didn't fade/wash out for me.

Alana2000
February 22nd, 2009, 06:26 AM
I noticed they changed Natural Instincts, and its just not really a good product.. so I am just echoing what Carolyn is saying.

rymorg2
February 22nd, 2009, 07:02 AM
Chrissy...

I'm a stylist. Temporary is a misnomer. Some of the color will fade out but a lot of the time some of the faded color sticks around. It's just not a guarantee that it will fade out. And it's not predictable either. So be careful.

As for products, I can't really recommend any since I only use salon products, though Sallys may have something you could try. I think they may carry the Roux Fanciful line, which is more like a rinse, and does fade out fairly well, at least on the grayhaired ladies I have used it on. But again, everyones hair is different.

mellie
February 22nd, 2009, 07:03 AM
Chemical dyes that say "temporary" have always ended up being permanent for me!

However, there is a healthier alternative: some folks here use cassia for a blond color that washes out, or henna or henndigo glosses for a red or brown color, respectively.

I used henndigo (not as a gloss) and although it's a permanent color, it blends with new growth so that there's no harsh demarcation line like with chemical dyes. I think if one used it as a gloss (meaning mixed with conditioner) that it would be even milder too, although I haven't personally tried it that way.

HildeMV
February 22nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
I used l'oreal casting creme gloss, and it worked for me. It takes longer to fade than what it says on the box. At least in my experience. I used the 600 dark blonde.

plainjanegirl
February 22nd, 2009, 07:42 AM
I wanna pipe in and say please think about it first....for at least 2 weeks.
Your hair color is so pretty now. And even the temporary colors can linger for a long time.

Silver & Gold
February 22nd, 2009, 08:00 AM
Chrissy, I would avoid using temporary hair color. First of all it never washes out completely and second, even if it does the developer strips some of your natural hair color giving a lift of a tone or two and taking it to the brassy side so then you find yourself stuck coloring again and again just to tone down the brass. It turns into a cycle.

If I were you I would try perking the color with cassia, it really made my hair golden. I stopped doing cassia for this reason because just wanted the coloring and was using the cassia for condition only.

However, if you are married to the thought of using temporary color I would make one suggestion. There are color rinses (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Color-Rinse/ROUX1,default,pd.html) (you can find a wide variety at Sallys and less so at say a Walmart) that just coat the hair and only last until you wash again. You could experiment with the idea to be certain this is what you really want. (Although I think your hair is beautiful.) If you still decide you want something more lasting then I would still go to a Sallys rather than a drug store and purchase the color you want with a seperate developer. I would go for something as pale as possible within your given hue and then use a very low volume developer like a 10 or mix a 10 with a 20 to give you a 15. What comes in the box, especially with a light color could really lift your natural color because it is probably a 20 or 30 in a temporary color.

Still, I want to tell you don't do it. Even if you think your hair is not nearly as pretty as your picture I would wager that you are very wrong. We don't always see ourselves true. I'm so often amazed at how I am perceived. You are so beautiful and your hair is gorgeous, truly. I can't help but believe part of the reason your hair is so pretty is that lovely sheen that comes from virgin hair.

mellie
February 22nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
I can't help but believe part of the reason your hair is so pretty is that lovely sheen that comes from virgin hair.

Yes, I agree!! :-)

DragonLady
February 22nd, 2009, 09:52 AM
"Washes out in x - n shampoos." has always been been some of the worst lies I ever heard. :(

I dyed my hair with temporary dye, thinking it really would wash out. I was just bored and wanted a change while I was on vacation from work. I ended up having to keep retouching it every few weeks for almost three years, and my hair slowly became more and more fried. I swear it took a full decade to grow out the damage. :(

WaimeaWahine
February 22nd, 2009, 12:10 PM
I've been using chem dyes for over 25 years now and it's certainly not for everyone. It can damage hair badly. On the bright side its inexpensive.

Ideally you don't want to go more than a shade darker or lighter than your natural color in case things go wrong and corrections need to be made.
Clairol's non-permanent Loving Care washes out the fastest in about a week with almost no damage.

For about $2.99 at Target I'll sometimes use Revlon's Colorsilk (permanent) but the color fades fast, doesn't cover gray well, and washes out in the shower like a temporary product. I'm not advising you use that but rather the brand and line name if they have what you're looking for.

Darkhorse1
February 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
A few things to consider:
1. Do you have gray?
2. Are you blond?
3. Is the hair damaged?

I use a semi permanent color, but I get it done at the hair dressers because I don't trust myself to do it. I'm lucky I have dark hair. With lighter hair, it's a bit trickier to get the right shade. I'd go to a hair salon to do it. Gray hairs are harder to cover with a semi-permanent (no peroxide), and it will wash out HOWEVER, if you are a blond and use a dark color, it won't wash out as much. The hair is more porous and absorbs a darker color. Same as damaged hair. I would consult a professional. Semi permanent colors will wash out in 15 washes. Mine lasts about 6 months or more. They used to last 2 years, but I have more gray growing in ;)

hope that helps! :) The shine it creates is AMAZING!! That's why I still with demi/semi permanent colors.

BranwenWolf
February 22nd, 2009, 02:44 PM
Hi!
I just used Clairol Natural instincts about three weeks ago. I have fairly thick waist-length hair and it took two boxes. Here's the results- Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Mighty_Mule/feb09003.jpg
After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Mighty_Mule/feb09005.jpg

I touched it up this past weekend.

It does appear to be washing out fairly quickly. My hair was rather stubborn to take it in some spots. There are some spots that look like they may keep a copper color for a while but I don't mind.

I think this worked for me *only* because it didn't take 100% in most spots, and I have about 8 different colors of my natural hair to start with, so if it goes brassy it won't show.

And, Clairol does have peroxide in it, especially the lighter shades. It made my eyes water pretty bad. My hair is remarkably forgiving and I didn't have a problem with the chemicals, but this is NOT true for everyone!

Chrissy
February 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Thanks to all of you for all of your advice/experiences. Well I guess flattery goes a looong way!!!! I'm not going to do it. The virgin hair....yes I want to keep it that way. Those of you who said such nice things about my hair...thank you!!! You are all wonderful people. At least my hair is now collar length. It's at the get stuck in your collar stage. If you pop it out it's a little longer than collar but just keeps going inside the collar.

It has grown quite a bit since I first chopped. So upward and onward I go. You guys are so sweet to be honest and I appreciate it very much.

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 08:59 PM
I did temporary hair color once for halloween, it lasted until I cut the hair off 4 years later.

I do not recommend it. The spray on kind looks bad, the dye damages your hair and lasts for ages.

For $20-50 you can get a decent quality wig and play around with that, and it will last for years. I have a couple of those days I just *want* short hair. It works out great.

Teacherbear
February 22nd, 2009, 09:12 PM
I've used those Level I (isn't that the shortest temp-dyes?) before. I don't know if it ever completely washed out, but it did lighten up. The last time I used this kind of dye was about 10 or 15 years ago.

I've been thinking about doing this too, but I want to cover my grey (I'm not liking it much lately). I'm afraid that level of dye won't cover the gre, though.

I'll be reading this thread to see what people say.

Lilylady
February 22nd, 2009, 09:25 PM
On the topic of wigs:

Way back in High School I was in the Colorguard (flag team) and we had to wear wigs. It was essentially a banana clip covered in hair, so it had to match your head but was a really easy way to have a beautiful updo. I sort of wish I'd kept mine.

Silver & Gold
February 22nd, 2009, 11:38 PM
Thanks to all of you for all of your advice/experiences. Well I guess flattery goes a looong way!!!! I'm not going to do it. The virgin hair....yes I want to keep it that way. Those of you who said such nice things about my hair...thank you!!! You are all wonderful people. At least my hair is now collar length. It's at the get stuck in your collar stage. If you pop it out it's a little longer than collar but just keeps going inside the collar.

It has grown quite a bit since I first chopped. So upward and onward I go. You guys are so sweet to be honest and I appreciate it very much.

:joy: YAY!!! :joy:

Kuchen
February 23rd, 2009, 01:17 AM
I've used those Level I (isn't that the shortest temp-dyes?) before. I don't know if it ever completely washed out, but it did lighten up. The last time I used this kind of dye was about 10 or 15 years ago.

I've been thinking about doing this too, but I want to cover my grey (I'm not liking it much lately). I'm afraid that level of dye won't cover the gre, though.

I'll be reading this thread to see what people say.

My experiment here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20488) might be relevant. It's too early to say if it rinses out, but I'm only colouring the whites in my bangs and wispy, face framing layers, which will always be short.

Tap Dancer
February 23rd, 2009, 05:32 AM
If you use a temporary color, stay away from dark browns and black. I've heard that they don't usually fade as well. Maybe you could try some wigs for fun?

HoneyMouse
February 23rd, 2009, 06:17 AM
I like to use the stargazer brand. The red is really pretty and it doesn't smell nasty or overly stain your skin if you get a mishap. They come in a load of colours and are non perminant.

Chrissy
February 23rd, 2009, 04:40 PM
Wigs sound fun. I just would feel silly wearing one. How do you find one that doesn't look like you have a dead possum on your head? :) I remember years ago wigs were hideous!! I mean like 30-40 yrs ago. My great Aunt had beautiful white hair but oh no she didn't like it. She would put this awful ugly wig on her head and it looked bad!!!

I've always thought it would be fun to go somewhere and try some on. I just know nothing about them.

BranwenWolf
February 23rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Wigs are SO much better these days- the knack is to spread some of the strands on the edge around so you don't see the edge of the fabric. (and make sure it's sitting on your head straight!!)

When I cut my hair to BSL I had some hair pieces to wear that were really fun, not a full wig, but a clip-on ponytail with perfect curls, so I didn't have to do that to my real hair.

kali_shey
February 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I love Natural Instincts ...for covering my dark-mouse-brown-and-gray (I'm only 31!) roots XD but DragonLady is right ...it's not temporary hair color any longer ..it's now somewhere between semi-perm and permanent ...which, like I said, suits me, but wouldn't be good for somebody who just wants a change for a bit.

I think there's somebody (? lol I'm so helpful) who makes a very temporary mousse-type hair color that I've seen at the grocery store for about $8 USD (and lasts about 8 - 10 washes). It still may stain lighter hair, however; I've never used it.

Anyway, good luck!

LaurelSpring
February 27th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I will add to what the other have said...Beware!

Anything you have to mix a developer with will have some peroxide and will lift your natural color. As Silver & Gold said this will turn brassy and leave you with demarcation. I fell for this ploy too many times! The temporary one wash ones to me seem like rinsing your money down the drain.

I like my Cassia. You might be able to experiment with some herb rinses. Wigs for fun?

serenitygal
February 27th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I'd suggest waiting a couple of weeks. If you still want to do it, then good for you! DO IT! While we all love hair (that's why we're here, right?) having fun with your hair is part of loving your hair.
I use a temporary color that I get at Sally's. It is part of the Clairol Beautiful Collection. Here (http://www.sallybeauty.com/Clairol-Haircolor/SBS-320252,default,pd.html) is a pic of what the bottle looks like. No ammonia, no peroxide. And yes, it does fade, but fairly gently. My hair tends to feel a bit sleeker post-color, but that's probably at least in part because I oil it and put it up for 24 hours after I color.
One thing that I have noticed about it is that my ends hold the color better than the scalp area. It isn't exceptionally obvious otherwise, but if I hold a braid tassel up by my face then I can see a lot more red in the ends than in the hair closer to my scalp. I think that this is because I haven't cut in 7 months, so my ends are drier (and thus hold color better) than the rest of my hair.
I do keep the color up because I feel prettier when my hair is a slightly darker brown and has more red in it than I naturally have. I just don't notice that much damage with the color (I have yet to see a single split end), and it imparts a gorgeous shine.While I know that every color is going to cause some damage, I'm willing to baby my hair by putting it up a lot and oiling frequently in order to have hair that I like.
To each her own, of course, and only you can make this decision.
But if you choose to color...I WANT PICTURES! :D

ktani
February 27th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Chrissy...

I'm a stylist. Temporary is a misnomer. Some of the color will fade out but a lot of the time some of the faded color sticks around. It's just not a guarantee that it will fade out. And it's not predictable either. So be careful.

As for products, I can't really recommend any since I only use salon products, though Sallys may have something you could try. I think they may carry the Roux Fanciful line, which is more like a rinse, and does fade out fairly well, at least on the grayhaired ladies I have used it on. But again, everyones hair is different.

I agree with you that this is an excellent choice!

I use catnip tea to colour/condition (it yields a light yellow stain) but my now deceased friend, who was much older than I, used the Roux Fanciful rinses and loved them. They do wash out pretty well and they are somewhat conditioning. She mostly used Frivolous Fawn, which on her mostly white hair, was a light ash blonde.

The Fanciful rinses are acidic and hair friendly. Supposedly they can rub off but my friend never had a problem with them and neither did her friends who used them. My friend did not need to use conditioner, following it. Here is a link so you can see the colour choices, http://www.haircareusa.com/roux_fanci_full_rinse.htm.

It has an 84% review rating from, 26 reviews at makeupalley.com, http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/ItemId=70041/Fanci%20Full%20Rinse/Unlisted%20Brand/Hair%20Color. Although it is not waterproof, my friend never had a problem with that either and she would get head sweats (I sweat on the back of my neck). I did research it ages ago and the mousse is alkaline, while the rinses, as I said, are acidic and from all reviews I have read, they are preferred to the mousse.

turtlelover
February 27th, 2009, 06:03 PM
The ONLY haircolor that never damaged my hair and never ended up making it look brassy -- and I've tried MANY types-- was Robert Craig. Sadly, that is permanent. The other stuff like Clairol Natural Instincts that claims to be temporary still lifts the hair's color and ends up looking brassy and bleaching it out somewhat. I say DON'T DO IT!!!

Chrissy
February 28th, 2009, 07:20 AM
For those of you late to posting I'm not going to do it. I still look at my hair in the mirror and hate the color!!! I'm hoping when summer comes it will lighten some. When I lived in AZ full sun most of the time I think my hair looked lighter. So time will tell. Again thanks to everyone for your posts.

BranwenWolf
February 28th, 2009, 11:07 PM
You also might consider your bathroom/bedroom/wherever the mirror is lighting- my natural color looked terrible at my place but good down at my parents.
I'm wondering if going red from blonde was a mistake but too late now. It does appear to be fading in an orderly fashion and I discovered a trick to blending my roots in. (that doesn't involve more dye. I really like the color right now and haven't regretted it, but obviously not the case for everyone!

Chrissy, if you wanted a bit of lightening have you considered honey?