PDA

View Full Version : buns that don't pull?

AmyJorgensen
February 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
I have very thick and heavy hair that is about waist/lower back length and I am looking for advice on buns that won't pull much and are secure and fairly simple to do. I plan on using hairsticks to secure it. Thanks for any tips.

eadwine
February 21st, 2009, 09:41 AM
A cinnamon bun, but then braided. Or a braided nautilus.

neon-dream
February 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM
I have this problem too, most buns pull my hair after a while.
I found if I do cinnamon buns perfectly they don't pull, so I think it's just getting the hang of getting them right.

HairColoredHair
February 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM
It really just takes some practice to figure out where to set them (high, low, middle of the head) and how to secure them to get the to not pull.

I prefer a cinnamon bun with wavelength pins (bent double-pointed knitting needles) or a figure-8 with a ficcare. :D

eresh
February 21st, 2009, 10:34 AM
A simple braided bun doesn't pull, is well balanced and stays put all day :-)

Make a braid, insert hairstick through the hair above the base of the braid (against the back of your head so to speak), then twist the braid around the stick and tuck in the ends (braid goes against your head, underneath the stick)

Also a logroll works well for me.

Silverlox
February 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
I find that any braided bun will be more secure and distribute the weight more evenly. Especially Harpgal's braided pinless bun (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=71774). That is one of my staples.

The woven bun (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=54) is also wonderfully comfortable to wear, and looks very elaborate.

Iylivarae
February 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM
For me, it is the equilibrium bun (I think Nightshade wrote an article about it).

AmyJorgensen
February 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
Thank you all. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I can't braid my hair "behind myself." Only to the sides. I never learned when it was shorter and now it gets tangled and looks messy when I try to braid in the center behind myself. I've tried the cinnamon bun and one that involves twisting hair around the hairstick in a propellor-like fashion and inverting the stick down through the hair mass. Today, I've experimented w/ figure 8 and infinity...which seem to pull less. I guess I just need to get the hang of braiding behind myself....practice. ;)

Coriander
February 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
Hi Amy :)

I don't have lovely thick hair like yourself, however I've found that a lower-set Chinese bun works wonders in keeping me from having that hair-being-pulled-out-from-the-top-of-my-head feeling. :)

HairColoredHair
February 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Thank you all. I'm somewhat embarrassed to say I can't braid my hair "behind myself." Only to the sides. I never learned when it was shorter and now it gets tangled and looks messy when I try to braid in the center behind myself. I've tried the cinnamon bun and one that involves twisting hair around the hairstick in a propellor-like fashion and inverting the stick down through the hair mass. Today, I've experimented w/ figure 8 and infinity...which seem to pull less. I guess I just need to get the hang of braiding behind myself....practice. ;)

Keep practicing! I learned to braid my own hair at about tailbone length. :)

Remember to take your time and detangle the length as you go!

AmyJorgensen
February 21st, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'll try the low set Chinese bun after my hair dries. Thanks :)

Nightshade
February 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM
For me, it is the equilibrium bun (I think Nightshade wrote an article about it).

This and a Gibraltar. There's a link to the Equilibrium bun in my siggy :)

Anje
February 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM
Nautilus buns are particularly good non-pull buns for me.

I also get more comfortable results when my sticks are horizontal. Vertical sticks pull badly for me.

Jessikinz
February 22nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Pretty much everyone has mentioned what I was going to say hehe. But another one that works for me that doesn't pull is the wrapped bun.

HotRag
February 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
Braided buns works best for me.

Cinnanmon bun from braid, or chinese bun form one or two braids.

Sometimes folded flipped up braid secured with ficcare, but sometimes I can't get them to not pull.

Duchess of Erat
February 22nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
The orchid bun works for me, as long as I make sure the hairstick is vertical.

ETA: oh and the low cinnamonbun like in my avatar was also very comfortable.

KnightsLady
February 22nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
The lazy wrap bun works for me, if the hairstick is slightly angled. The top of the hairstick goes in horizontal or close to, but gets more comfortable when it's about 4 o'clock/10 o'clock, but my hair is not yet waist, so that may be making a difference.

LadyLongLocks
March 5th, 2009, 03:19 PM
I have fairly heavy hair too. I have tried using hair sticks for 3 years and have had little luck with comfort and hold. As beautiful as they are, they pull the hair and I just cant make a comfy bun. I also have poked my kids with the ends and now I have this "fear" while wearing them!
I am stuck on the small jaw clips and recently have tried Amish pins. If I ever use hair sticks, it is after I have secured my bun with the clips and pins. I only add the sticks as decoration.
My hair has a ton of "slip" so this makes hair sticks harder to use too IMO. I cant count on sticks to hold my hair either. I can count on my clips to be secure and comfy. Sticks also make me have sore spots on my head!

Curlsgirl
March 5th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I like securing updos with either forks or Amish pins and find they tend to pull less than sticks too for some reason. Also after you make the bun if you grab the whole thing and twist it just a little back the other way it seems to relax it a bit and keep from pulling so much. I forget who told me that. I like the inside-outside bun or Figure 8.

Cinnamon Hair
March 5th, 2009, 08:18 PM
This is not a hair stick updo, but it's very comfortable all the same. I learned this from Daeana. Gather your hair like for a ponytail but don't secure it, twist the hair to hold it in place then lay the pony over your head and use a medium sized claw clip to keep the base stable. Now take the extra length, twist it like for a bun, and wrap around the claw clip, thereby making the claw clip the center of your bun. Tuck the tail under and if necessary use a pin to hold the tail in place. For me, this updo feels weightless.