PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Moist Conditioner - change in formulation?

Celebrian
March 30th, 2008, 02:14 PM
I've got a bottle of this (purchased here in UK) and it's about a year old.

It has a cream body with a purple top - and seems to have a different formulation to other Aussie Moist bottles elsewhere, which have a purple body plus top and apparently different ingredients!

I've been enjoying a return to using my UK bottle - but is it simply an older, out of date formulation - or is the different packaging and formula a USA version?

Anybody know?

I'm confused - but need to re-purchase soon as I'm running low!

peachy.pudding
March 30th, 2008, 02:19 PM
yes i have noticed the change in packaging, the ingredients are still good, no cones. it works just as well, maybe even better now

Celebrian
March 30th, 2008, 03:14 PM
yes i have noticed the change in packaging, the ingredients are still good, no cones. it works just as well, maybe even better now

Hi peachy.pudding do you get it in UK? The formula I have here does contain cones in the form of hydrolysed wheat protein (which I've read is a water soluble cone- and is why I'm using it).

How long have you used the new one?

akurah
March 30th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Hi peachy.pudding do you get it in UK? The formula I have here does contain cones in the form of hydrolysed wheat protein (which I've read is a water soluble cone- and is why I'm using it).

How long have you used the new one?

Hydrolysed wheat protein is NOT a cone.

Kirin
March 30th, 2008, 03:38 PM
its a protein not a cone. I've been interested in trying aussie.... if they are cone free i'll run to the store tomorrow!

Celebrian
March 30th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I thought it was strange myself. I read it on naturallycurly.com under 'CurlReading' section. Yes, obviously it's protein, but...

Here is the list:

Silicones.
Used to add shine and gloss to hair, decrease combing friction and tangling, provide conditioning, and act as humectants.

Amodimethicone not soluble in water by itself
Amodimethicone (and) Trideceth-12 (and) Cetrimonium Chloride mixture that is soluble in water in the bottle
Behenoxy Dimethicone Sparingly soluble in water
Cetearyl methicone not soluble in water
Cetyl Dimethicone not soluble in water
Cyclomethicone not soluble in water
Cyclopentasiloxane not soluble in water
Dimethicone not soluble in water
Dimethicone Copolyol water soluble
Dimethicone copolyol water soluble
Dimethiconol not soluble in water
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane water soluble (my italics)
Stearoxy Dimethicone Sparingly soluble in water
Stearyl Dimethicone not soluble in water
Trimethylsilylamodimethicone not soluble in water
Lauryl methicone copolyol water soluble

teela1978
March 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane water soluble (my italics)
Ah, that is a cone that has been stuck on to hydrolyzed wheat protein (the polysiloxane is the cone)

Celebrian
March 30th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Ah, that is a cone that has been stuck on to hydrolyzed wheat protein (the polysiloxane is the cone)

Oh, I see - thanks very much for clearing that up. I didn't put the cone part on in my first post (I just thought it was a pseudo-scientific name for HWP!!).

Celebrian
March 31st, 2008, 06:08 PM
No, it's no good. I'm sorry to be a nuisance, but can anyone find the ingredients list for the current UK formulation of Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner.

It is not the same as the USA one - and I can find that list, but not the UK one.

I don't know why they are different (grrr) but they are...

HaiirPEACE
March 31st, 2008, 06:15 PM
i used to use the aussie freezing spray but then they changed the can and the ingredients and it worked like crap. so i complained and they gave me my money back, but i'll never use their stuff again

Celebrian
March 31st, 2008, 07:22 PM
Ok. I've typed out the ingredients list from this bottle of Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner which I've just purchased from the supermarket. It was very hard to read, so I hope I've been accurate!

Can anyone please reassure me that there are no silicones in here. And if that is the case - what is it that gives the hair an amazing silicone type feel after use (it does!)? Could it be the Macademia?

AQUA-CETEARYL ALCOHOL-BEHENTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE-CETYL ESTERS-ACETAMIDE MEA-SODIUM PCA-DMDM HYDANTOIN-PARFUM-PHENOXYETHANOL-METHYLPARABEN-CETRIMONIUM CHLORIDE-CETEARYL ALCOHOL-POLYSORBATE 60-LINALOOL-PROPYPARABEN-HYDROLYSED WHEAT PROTEIN-HYDROLYSED WHEAT STARCH-BUTYLPHENYL METHUPROPONAL-ALOE BARBADENSIS-LIMONENE-TRIDECETH12-PROPYLENE GLYCOL-MACADAMIA TERNIFOUA-ANTHEMIS NOBILUS-ANICOZANTHOS FLAVIDUS-TARAXACUM OFFICINALE-CALENDULA OFFICINALIS-PRUNUS SEROTINA-EQUISETUM ARVENSE-SAMBUTUS NIGRA-ALUM SATIVUM-ERTICA DOCA-ETHYLPARABEN-BUTYLPARABEN-ISOBUTYLPARABEN-Q19140-Q17200

Anybody?

tomm
March 31st, 2008, 08:18 PM
Definitely no 'cones in that list!

As to what is giving you that 'cone type feel - I'm not sure. There are a number of humectants listed. That might do it.

Celebrian
March 31st, 2008, 08:37 PM
Definitely no 'cones in that list!

As to what is giving you that 'cone type feel - I'm not sure. There are a number of humectants listed. That might do it.

Bless you tomm. I was hoping that you would drop by here. Thanks for that reassurance.

Yes, the 'silicone' feel this product gives is a mystery to me really. But I'm very certain that I'm right regarding the feel of the hair post-usage. I used to use this stuff in the days before I came to LHC (and learned about the ubiquitous 'cones!) finding it gave an almost 'child-like' slip to the hair.

If this is a reliable effect - then I'm thinking 'why would anybody head for the silicones, as such, when you can get that silkiness from products like this?'

But that's just me... :D

tomm
April 1st, 2008, 10:17 AM
Bless you tomm. I was hoping that you would drop by here. Thanks for that reassurance.
You are most welcome!

Yes, the 'silicone' feel this product gives is a mystery to me really. But I'm very certain that I'm right regarding the feel of the hair post-usage. I used to use this stuff in the days before I came to LHC (and learned about the ubiquitous 'cones!) finding it gave an almost 'child-like' slip to the hair.

If this is a reliable effect - then I'm thinking 'why would anybody head for the silicones, as such, when you can get that silkiness from products like this?'
Your reliable slip is my icky-sticky feel :D I've tried several different humectants because I heard that they were supposed to leave your hair with a very 'cone-like feel. It didn't work for me - but 'cones do (in moderation).

Hair can be so mysterious sometimes! :)

getoffmyskittle
April 1st, 2008, 11:39 AM
I have a US version of Aussie Moist. It is in a purple bottle with a cream-ish top. It definitely has cones. So, apparently the US and UK versions are different.

Celebrian
April 1st, 2008, 12:00 PM
I have a US version of Aussie Moist. It is in a purple bottle with a cream-ish top. It definitely has cones. So, apparently the US and UK versions are different.

Tee hee- I was answering you on this question in the 'cone converts' thread at about the same time as you were answering me in this one! :D

Life is full of suprises...

Yes, different formulations. Don't really know why though...