PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about washing

Stephunny
February 20th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Should I wash my conditioner out with cool water or warm water?
Also, how should I be drying my hair?

School has been depriving me of LHC :mad:

Catladyintown
February 20th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Hi Stephunny I wash my hair in cool or warm water, but make sure the finale rinse is with very cold water. I believe if you use cold water on your finale rinse it close the hair shaft. I air dry only.HTH

Fillette
February 20th, 2009, 08:47 PM
While washing your hair use cool water if possible. Nothing too warm/hot.
As far as drying your hair, I would recommend air-drying as often as possible. And if you absolutely have to blowdry, use the cool setting and use a diffuser.

My 2 cents! :)

rose_in_bloom
February 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM
I find that cold water is less damaging to my hair.

Deborah
February 20th, 2009, 09:13 PM
I wash in HOT water and rinse in HOT water. Then I do my final rinse (with citric acid usually) in icy COLD water. Works for me.

arabidbutterfly
February 20th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I wash in warm (not hot) water and rinse in cool-ish water. Air dry only.

Coriander
February 20th, 2009, 09:39 PM
I wash in rather warm water when I shower but I rinse out the conditioner with the water as cold as I can stand it.

Works well for me - then I wrap my hair up in a turbie-twist and let that go for a couple of hours, then switch to a new turbie-twist and let that go too.

HTH :)

Jeni
February 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
I wash in warm/hot water but do my final rinse in cool/cold. I'm not sure if rinsing my hair in cool water actually does anything (I've heard it closes the cuticle but then heard that is a myth) but it helps be get out of the shower...

I dry by squeezing the water out of my hair with the towel and then letting it air dry. I tried twisting it up in a towel but that just gave me tangles.

Stephunny
February 25th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Doh! I really should have been specific with my drying question. I don't even own a blowdryer. I meant, how should I be drying it with a towel? Are turbans allowed? :laugh:

Stephunny
February 25th, 2009, 01:01 AM
By final rinse, do you girls mean after washing out the conditioner? Or is washing out the conditioner the final rinse? :o

Heavenly Locks
February 25th, 2009, 01:16 AM
For me the final rinse IS the rinsing of conditioner :) Cool water and I blot my hair with a towel (no rubbing!) and twist it up on my head. After it's dry enough not to drip I let it down to air dry.

If I do use a hair dryer, I wait until my hair is 90% dry and use the warm setting. I try not to get too close to my hair and not overheat it. :)

jera
February 25th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I wash in warm water but rinse in cool, not cold water, and finish with a cool herbal rinse. Air dry ( except if the temps are below zero. ) ;)

SimplyLonghair
February 25th, 2009, 02:54 AM
By final rinse, do you girls mean after washing out the conditioner? Or is washing out the conditioner the final rinse? :o
For me it is after the conditioner. And if I am doing ACV after that too. Kind of like using the no spot rinse at the car wash:p

I use a cotton tea towel They are also called flour sack towels or an old tshirt to dry with and do a turban twist. It doesn't leave lint and drys well.

Jeni
February 25th, 2009, 03:05 AM
The conditioner is the last thing I rinse out but I do it with warm water, then for the final rinse I do it with cool water.

If you want to use a turban and it doesn't tangle your hair then go for it. I can't use them, my hair somehow tangles while up...I just squeeze as much water as I can out with a towel and let it dry down

Monsterkitti
February 25th, 2009, 03:15 AM
When I can stand it I rinse with cool water after Ive rinsed out the conditioner but tend to wash with rather hot water (cant stand being cold :))

I fold my hair up on my head and then wrap it up with a towel so it doesnt get caught up in the twist of the turban if that makes sense :)

Once its not dripping I let it air dry or damp bun it.

Curlsgirl
February 25th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I get cold enough washing my hair without rinsing in cold water so I don't. I also blot with a towel down and don't put it up in a turban. I let it dry mostly by itself usually. I do some drying with a dryer underneath if it is very cold or late.

harpyangel
February 25th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I wash my hair in hot (ish) water - my shower can be temperamental. But wash out conditioner with cool water, helps wake me up. I squeeze the water out without twisting the hair then put in a turbie-towel for as long as I have time for. I do blow dry my fringe so it hangs right, but I use the cool setting. Then I just comb the rest of the hair and leave to air dry - takes for EVER and I'm only just nearing APL!

Harpyangel xxx

JamieLeigh
February 25th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Different temps work for different people. LOL, some people's hair kinks up in cool water; and others find that warm water leaves their hair flatter. It's all a matter of trial and error, like everything else hair-related. You have to find the cycle that works best for you. :twocents:

My hair likes warm for a wash, and then a final cold rinse. And I air-dry. Buns take too long to dry for my taste. :)

Anje
February 25th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I normally just wash and rinse warm. My hair seems fine for it, and I don't leave the shower shivering. (Rinsing upside-down causes tangles for me, so whatever temperature water hits my hair is also going all over my body.)

Turbans are good, but try not to twist too tightly. Also, once your turban is getting fairly wet, rotate or replace it so that you have a dry portion against your head. Definitely dries more effectively that way.

Forever_Sophie
February 25th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I wash in HOT water and rinse in HOT water. Then I do my final rinse (with citric acid usually) in icy COLD water. Works for me.

Same for me (minus the citric acid!). I know hot water isn't great for hair but I'm in Canada and it's freezing :p

Katla
February 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I normally just wash and rinse warm. My hair seems fine for it, and I don't leave the shower shivering. (Rinsing upside-down causes tangles for me, so whatever temperature water hits my hair is also going all over my body.)

Seconding this. I frequently rinse in cool water in summer, especially when it's hot outside, since I don't have a/c and getting a proper flow of air going in my apartment is close to impossible. But in winter? I'm keeping my nice, warm rinses. My hair doesn't seem to have minded so far, thankfully :)

CaityBear
February 25th, 2009, 03:40 PM
For the last month or so I've started rinsing the conditioner out of my hair with the coolest water I can stand. I find my hair does tend to be less staticy and shinier when I do.

I also just air dry and find that the best way for me.

neon-dream
February 25th, 2009, 03:45 PM

This depends on the person's routine. For me, ACV is my final rinse.
I wash in warm water and rinse in cold water :).
It's different for everyone though, so just experiment :D!

BlackfootHair
February 25th, 2009, 03:47 PM
I wash with warm water and rinse in the same. I wash my hair in the shower so I'm not about to rinse it in ice cold water, freezing me in the process. Lol :) When I have long enough hair to hold the length out I might stand outside the shower and do a final rinse on the length in cold water.

I usually just let my hair air dry. But if it's super cold out, I get my difuser on my blow dryer and quickly dry my head. No sense in having hair freeze to my scalp. :)

Aisha25
February 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I cannot do cold rinse. I tried once and it left me and my hair freezing and my hair turned into a mess the whole week after washing them. I use warmish cold water, it works the best for me:)

viking_quest
February 25th, 2009, 09:53 PM

Just started doing this (without the citric acid), and my hair is very happy.

Ash
February 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
I wash and rinse with hot water, otherwise I end up with limp and greasy hair. After the conditioner is rinsed out, I pour cold distilled water over my hair as a final rinse. To dry, I squeeze some water out of my hair and then use a towel similar to a turbie twist. I let my hair sit in the pouch part at the nape of my neck which I find causes less tangles than if I was to put my hair on top of my head. This doesn't really dry it a lot though but on work days it is braided which I can do better with wet hair, and on days off I air dry it loose.

amiaow
February 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I do all of my washing in normal shower temperature water- I guess this is quite warm! I don't do any cold rinsing- I have tried it before and found it didn't make any difference to my hair other than giving me a cold head.

I also blot with a towel and then air dry. Easy!

MadPirateBippy
February 25th, 2009, 11:01 PM
Cool water closes the cuticle and makes it easier for you to detangle. My hair loves it. Starting or ending my day with a splash of cold water makes me a grumpy... well, evil b*tch is a good way to put it.

This is the only thing where I put my sanity above my hair.