PDA

View Full Version : I'm so thin :( how to thicken up?

pdy2kn6
February 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I have only just realised how thin my hair is, i don't mean as in thinning, i just mean the overall volume of my hair. I still have a full head of hair its just i noticed the other day when i made two braids they are soo thin in width. I see people of here whose twin braids are thicker than my single braid. I have always known my hair is relatively thin, however now i have noticed how thin it really in when making a braid, as i haven't braided in quite a while. I can notice my hair is growing, its just i would really love a bit more thickness. Does anyone know any ways of getting thicker longs naturally, (NOT BY USING CONE SHAMPOOS or things like that)? or am i stuck with thin hair (volume-wise)? are there any certain foods i could eat to make hair thicker? i already eat lots of protein, such as tofu, chicken and berries (i love tofu). I use cone free shampoo and conditioners, and regualarly, if not always oil using natural coconut oil, sometimes cold pressed almond oil. Hope you guys can help:)

My hair is not really fine,as the texture feels quite strong, i would say my hair is medium, however its just when i make braids they are really small and when i tie my hair in a ponytail the overall circumfrance isnt very wide.

Angellen
February 20th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Are you saying that your problem is in the overall volume of hair, or the individual hairs themselves? Fine hair ≠ Thin hair necessarily, although one can have both. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do in that regard, although something like henna (or maybe cassia? I don't use them so I'm not certain) can make the individual strands a bit thicker, and is generally viewed as much better for hair than silicones and the like.

Sorry I'm not more help, I hope someone else will chip in with good advice.

pdy2kn6
February 20th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Are you saying that your problem is in the overall volume of hair, or the individual hairs themselves? Fine hair ≠ Thin hair necessarily, although one can have both. I'm afraid there isn't much you can do in that regard, although something like henna (or maybe cassia? I don't use them so I'm not certain) can make the individual strands a bit thicker, and is generally viewed as much better for hair than silicones and the like.

Sorry I'm not more help, I hope someone else will chip in with good advice.

yeah the overall volume of my hair is not very thick, like when i make a braid it appears really thin all the way down. I really like the colour of my hair so i don't really think i would be keen on trying henna, but thanks very much. anY imput is great. :)

Flaxen
February 20th, 2009, 04:54 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is nothing you can do to make your hairs grow in thicker. If you are healthy and do not have hormonally thinning hair, your hairs' fineness has been determined by genetics. As another fine haired person, I completely understand your frustration. When braided, my hairs smoosh together to make very compact (okay, small) braids. :(

Fluke
February 20th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Have you looked in to cassia? It wouldn't give any color change on hair as dark as yours, and people frequently report on their hair feeling fuller with regular cassia treatments.
Unfortunately there is nothing that will make your hair GROW in thicker, unless your hair isn't already "performing" at it's best, either because of defiencies or illness..

Jeni
February 20th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I agree with Fluke and Flaxen unless your hair is thin because of hormones/malnourishment/illness/etc your stuck with thin hair. I have thin hair too and I have had to just come to grips with the fact that my buns are never going to eat the back of my head like some people here, that's life. Its not all bad, we can do alot of up does quicker then thicker people (apparently, I'm up do challenged) and weight isn't as big of an issue.

I use cassia, not sure it makes my hair feel any thicker or bigger but it does keep it nice. Get a sample from H4H and try it on some shed hair also check out the incredibly long cassia thread, it has some useful info

LittleOrca
February 20th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Maybe try feeding your hair cheesecake? That seems to make things that eat massive amounts of it bigger! :) Just a little humor to make yo smile.

Psalm186
February 20th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Well, aside from trying to alter the hair shaft, or treating your hair more kindly so it doesn't prematurely break, there's three options...

1. Grow thicker hair
2. Grow stronger hair
3. Grow more hair

The following do one or the other (most grow more hair, but I know gelatin makes nails and hair thicker). It's not a complete list...

Internally
B vitamins (including Inositol, Biotin & Choline)
Zinc
Gelatine
Vitamin E
Iron
Vitamin A (2500 iu max)
Pantothenic Acid / Calicium Pantothenate
ACV (first thing in the morning)
Oats, Cucumbers (Silica)

Topically
Castor Oil (darkens hair)
*Thyme
*Sage -- Dalmation or *Clary
*Lavender
*Rosemary
Grapeseed
*Cedarwood
Bay
*Basil
Patchouli
Lemongrass
Cypress
*Geranium
tea tree

* Traditionally aromatherapists recommend avoid these oils during pregnancy. If you're having trouble with conceiving/miscarriages you're better off playing it safe.

Monistat (miconazole nitrate cream) <-- do some research before using anti-fungal creams for cosmetic purposes

SpecialKitty
February 20th, 2009, 07:35 PM
I'm a firm believer in trying to accept your natural hair type - and from your avatar photo, you have very nice, healthy, wavy hair! It is a pretty color, a uniform thickness, with a nice hemline. I would keep doing what you're doing - as your hair doesn't appear damaged or frayed in any way. If you want your braids to look bigger, maybe you can weave in some ribbons, leather strips, or artificial hair for braid bulk?

Adding body to your hair can sometimes make loose hair seem fuller - if you wear your hair loose you might try plopping or damp bunning.

For me, I've come to the conclusion that I would rather learn to love my hair than to try to do too much internal or external supplementation or manipulation (other than just basic vitamins and gentle hair care).

:cheese: :flower:

Flaxen
February 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Maybe try feeding your hair cheesecake? That seems to make things that eat massive amounts of it bigger! :)
If only. :laugh:

vindo
February 20th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Good care increases the ponytail circumference a bit, for most of my friends it has been between 1- 2.5 cm.
That said, the ones that experienced a lot of thickening were either dyeing their hair or heatstyling it.
You seem to do everything right already so I am not sure there is much more you can do.
How long have you been on Sulfate free and cone free care? How long have you taken good care of your hair?
If you recently started you might have a slight increase once that virgin hair reaches your ponytail.
Another advice I can give is to wear hair friendly updos, ponytails can cause some nape breakage = thinner lengths.

AngelInDisguise
February 21st, 2009, 12:54 AM
All that gorgeous AND thick hair in the hair forums also made me doubt if it was a good idea to have my fine and thin hair grow out again when I first started reading around.

But then again, when looking attentively you can find a lot of other fine and/or thin haired with unbelievable length and beautiful looking hair.

I fear that there is not much to do about thickening up apart from the reasons all the others already wrote. I did notice some better growth and less hairloss when going completely cone-free and all natural. It did work for me a bit but one should not expect a miracle. Some also had a very good result using oils blended with the already listet essential oils. Unfortunately I do have very sensitive skin and would not dare to try this one.

Your hair looks so nice and healthy. My best advice: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

jera
February 21st, 2009, 01:24 AM
There are various treatments that certain hair care manufacturers swear will thicken hair, like SWA by Ojon and the Kronos thickening line. They're both sooo expensive though, I've never tried them. :o

Calista
February 21st, 2009, 01:45 AM
Have you ever actually measured your ponytail circumference, or is it just a guess that your hair is thin (i/ii)? Because well, there are people here whose one pigtail is thicker than my entire braid, and yet I don&#180;t have thin hair. My hair doesn&#180;t feel terribly thick to me, either, so when I measured I was surprised that I&#180;m actually in the upper ii range.

I second the cassia idea. It can be drying, though, so be prepared to moisturize well afterwards.

pdy2kn6
February 21st, 2009, 05:54 AM
thanks guys for all your very helpful advice....i take many vitamins...such as biotin 1000mg, fish oil (1-3 a day), spirulina (a greenery from the sea which i recently baught in australia, tastes good when i get a shot of it in a smoothie, but seeings as smoothies are very pricey i got the supplements 1000mg, boots homebrand hair skin and nails vitamins), i eat lots of protein, and lots of vege and fruit, i do sort of lack in carbohydrates... does that have an effect on hair growth or density?? i dont avoid them i just have always have struggled with my weight and was a very larger child, now i am very health conscious about everything that i eat, never eating fast food or chocolates or sweets. My regular diet is largely protein vege/salad and small amount of carbs...does any one know whether carbs contribute?

pdy2kn6
February 21st, 2009, 05:57 AM
Good care increases the ponytail circumference a bit, for most of my friends it has been between 1- 2.5 cm.
That said, the ones that experienced a lot of thickening were either dyeing their hair or heatstyling it.
You seem to do everything right already so I am not sure there is much more you can do.
How long have you been on Sulfate free and cone free care? How long have you taken good care of your hair?
If you recently started you might have a slight increase once that virgin hair reaches your ponytail.
Another advice I can give is to wear hair friendly updos, ponytails can cause some nape breakage = thinner lengths.

thanks emichee, i have to admit i have only been sulphate free for the past month or so (probably the start of january). I have been caring for my hair everysince i decided to grow my hair long 2 years ago, but i do admit i went through a stage of wanting sunkissed hair colour, which no doubt contributed to the damage at the end of the front bits of my hair. I have been wearing my hair in up dos (bun wrapped with scrunchie and then added a satin scarf wrapped around it) every day for the past year (ish), before the it was largely always in a ponytail. Now i never go out without my hair in an updo.

pdy2kn6
February 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM
Have you ever actually measured your ponytail circumference, or is it just a guess that your hair is thin (i/ii)? Because well, there are people here whose one pigtail is thicker than my entire braid, and yet I don&#180;t have thin hair. My hair doesn&#180;t feel terribly thick to me, either, so when I measured I was surprised that I&#180;m actually in the upper ii range.

I second the cassia idea. It can be drying, though, so be prepared to moisturize well afterwards.

I havent actually ever measured the circumfrance of my ponytail, it was moreso a guess before i joined longhaircommunity that i was (i/ii). I will have to buy some measuring tape:) Maybe i too would be pleasantly surprised...

pdy2kn6
February 21st, 2009, 06:13 AM
Well, aside from trying to alter the hair shaft, or treating your hair more kindly so it doesn't prematurely break, there's three options...

1. Grow thicker hair
2. Grow stronger hair
3. Grow more hair

The following do one or the other (most grow more hair, but I know gelatin makes nails and hair thicker). It's not a complete list...

Internally
B vitamins (including Inositol, Biotin & Choline)
Zinc
Gelatine
Vitamin E
Iron
Vitamin A (2500 iu max)
Pantothenic Acid / Calicium Pantothenate
ACV (first thing in the morning)
Oats, Cucumbers (Silica)

Topically
*Thyme
*Lavender
*Rosemary
Grapeseed
*Cedarwood
Bay
*Basil
Patchouli
Lemongrass
Cypress
*Geranium
tea tree

Thanks for that very helpful info, i never knew cucumber was good for hair, i always considered it just not worthy of eating as i thought it was too watery to have anything significantly nutritious in it. i will defo be eating all my cucumber pieces at my salad restaurant tomorrow. I don't often come across all those types of oil you mentioned but i will defo keep my eye out, however i have a shop near me that sells grapeseed oil...what is it exactly that that does for hair? :) TIA

sissadawn
February 21st, 2009, 09:59 AM
I don't know about making your braid thicker but for wearing my hair down I've found that putting it into a damp rope braid and then bunning it to let it dry gives my hair a very subtle wave and about 3x more volume. :D

neon-dream
February 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
Since taking better care of my hair when I joined here, my pony tail circumference has increased by around half an inch.
Maybe if you just find the right routine for your hair it would get thicker?

vindo
February 21st, 2009, 02:02 PM
thanks emichee, i have to admit i have only been sulphate free for the past month or so (probably the start of january). I have been caring for my hair everysince i decided to grow my hair long 2 years ago, but i do admit i went through a stage of wanting sunkissed hair colour, which no doubt contributed to the damage at the end of the front bits of my hair. I have been wearing my hair in up dos (bun wrapped with scrunchie and then added a satin scarf wrapped around it) every day for the past year (ish), before the it was largely always in a ponytail. Now i never go out without my hair in an updo.

Great so I am sure you will experience at least a bit overall thickening...even just a few mm or less tapered lengths can make a lot of difference in how your hair feels.
Without Sulfates your scalp will most likely be more balanced = less shedding. Sometimes the scalp simply sheds more just because it is dry and irritated...therefore producing too much gunk.
Another advice is to watch your lengths and ends, you don't want them to taper too soon as it may make it harder to reach your goal...if you start with a 3.5" ponytail taper wont show as early than if you have a 2" ponytail for example. Things like tiny regular trims can help with that.

Darkhorse1
February 21st, 2009, 09:26 PM
You can have coarse hair, just not a lot of it. You can have fine hair and lots of it. I have a friend who has very fine hair, but she has more of it than I do! I have a lot of hair--I'm lucky. But, I've lost some due to age/etc.

I did read that coloring hair gives the feel of thickness, so if you henna, I would figure that would help? Your hair is gorgeous though!! I see some people's hair here and feel so puney next to their braids, but I've learned to love what I have :D

Anje
February 21st, 2009, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you're already doing a lot.

To some extent, you need to just embrace your hair type, because it doesn't really change much. If thickness could be adjusted, about 90&#37; of LHCers would be running around with 5" ponytails. In addition to all the nutrition advice you've gotten, I'd like to suggest scalp massage (perhaps with an oil -- I've seen many reports of improved thickness with certain blends), and you might consider topically applied caffeine. There's some evidence in recent years that caffeine blocks DHT on the skin, which could potentially mean less DHT-associated hair loss and shedding. (To that end, I've gotten DH hooked on the Cafe Moreno CV bars, though he's a short-hair. He thinks it helps a little, and he gets better volume with bars than with normal shampoo.)

tanula
April 7th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Try MSM about 3000 - 4000 mg and biotin 5000mg. Drink lots of water. Also I read it you start taking gelatin about 14 mg protein your hair will get thicker within 2 months. You can substitute gelatin by protein shake. :o

blondecat
April 8th, 2010, 07:55 AM
I've been on a low carb high Protein diet for over 9 years now. Actually my hair improved quite a bit from all the protein.

I like cassia, it does thiken hair up a bit.

Braid waves are fabulous. That is the look in my avatar.

elina333
April 9th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I dont think you can grow more or thicker hair, unless you have some sort of deficiency to begin with. Its all genetics Im afraid... But there are some products that works WONDERS if its volume you're after! Try a styling dust, such as Resurrection Styling Dust from Label M or Dust It from Schwarzkopf Osis. Also, salt water spray is great although it can be a bit drying if used to frequently. Also schampoos such as Nioxin can help although I you said you dont want to use such products. Well, thats just my :twocents:

Good luck! :pegasus:

joiekimochi
April 9th, 2010, 08:20 AM
I have very thin hair overall as well. It's made worse by the fact that my individual hairs are so fine you can get papercuts on them (just kidding, but you get the picture). Before I started taking biotin supplements and using biotin shampoo, if I lifted a section of my hair you can see the scalp clearly, plus I shed massively every day and more during stressful periods.

However, I started using a shampoo fortified with biotin. It reduced my hair fall dramatically! I also stopped daily washing and vigorous brushing with my BBB because it created more unnecessary shedding. After that I added biotin supplements, which sped up the growth of my existing hairs, as well as making thicker new hairs sprout out!

I also stopped leaving my hair loose (I used to LOVE leaving it loose and all over the place to fling about like a Baywatch lifeguard) and putting up into contained updos. It reduced unnecessary hair fall as well since my hair isn't being rubbed and pulled all over the place by the forces of nature. I also only comb my hair twice a day with a horn comb; once in the morning to comb out my night braid and to style it into my updo of the day, and once at night to comb out the updo and to braid it before sleeping.

Results? My ponytail circumference increased by half an inch. My scalp isn't so painfully visible any more (it still is but not as noticeable) and I find my braids becoming thicker. It is not that I have increased the thickness, but more like I have reduced the chances of it becoming thinner.

Purdy Bear
April 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Although when I did have hair it was very thick, Im going to watch this thread with interest.

I know if you eat jelly blocks out the packet that strengthens your nails (not sure what you call it in the US, its the stuff you put in trifles - might be aspec but its a sweet version - Jello?). Its made of gelatine, so I presume it would work as well for hair.

Unofficial_Rose
April 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Topically
*Thyme
*Lavender
*Rosemary
Grapeseed
*Cedarwood
Bay
*Basil
Patchouli
Lemongrass
Cypress
*Geranium
tea tree

* Traditionally aromatherapists recommend avoid these oils during pregnancy. If you're having trouble with conceiving/miscarriages you're better off playing it safe.

Monistat (miconazole nitrate cream) <-- do some research before using anti-fungal creams for cosmetic purposes

I think the OP may have trouble conceiving, because (I think) he is a chap! :lol:

spidermom
April 9th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Trims help to maintain the appearance of having thicker hair as well as keeping the ends from tapering out to nothing. Otherwise, all I know is to take good care of your health, which will maximize your hair growth potential.

I saw somewhere that you were trying WO or SO, but I think regular washing makes hair appear to be thicker. My hair looks a lot thinner if it's full of sebum and/or coconut oil.

tanula
February 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Try taking collagen and extra protein shake- egg or soy, msm makes my hair thicker.

Luna12345
February 25th, 2011, 01:01 PM
You can try monistat or Castor oil!
check out the threads:)

littlenvy
February 25th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I sooooooo feel you on the thin hair! :(:(

I have very thin hair. Pretty sure you have more hair than me.
Last year I was almost at 2" (the thickest I have ever been) and then I had a major shed and now went to 1". After really REALLY babying my hair for 5 months my hair is now up to 1.5".
The thing is no matter what I do or what I eat my hair is just genetically thin and it will stay that way. My body just does not produce strong thick hair no matter what. I also have very weak nails; so I'm pretty sure its genetic.
I have come to terms with that now. (though it still makes me sad once in a while)
Right now my hair is quiet healthy but still very thin. It looks ok if I wear it down but as soon as I try to braid it or put it up in a bun I realize just how pathetic my hair is. Its accutally emberrassing to put my hair in a bun so I never wear it that way.
The thing is, I don't understand WHY its so thin! I eat right, I take suppliments, I have regular to little stress in my life, I exercise. My hair grows quite fast but that's about it! And the funny thing is that its quiet dense. When I look at my part there is a lot of hairs and they are quite closely packed together. So what gives???

Anyway. Thank you for starting this thread and letting me vent as well.

starlights
February 25th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I used to have thin hair too... like thin volume wise... for years until I started massaging my scalp with oil regularly. Now my hair has thickened up by 5x in volume :)

andrianna
February 25th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I used to have thin hair too... like thin volume wise... for years until I started massaging my scalp with oil regularly. Now my hair has thickened up by 5x in volume :)

Starlights: Did you use a specific technique and/or oil? Always looking for healthy volume!

varintalonguard
February 26th, 2011, 02:49 AM
I can't really tell you how to make your hair thicker but I can tell you how to make it appear thicker (in theory since everyone is different). For braids try to wait until your hair is dry to braid them. I have ridiculously tons of hair and it doesn't ever look like it when I braid my hair wet. Also I find that my volume has increased when I use a shampoo bar. I'm using Misty Mountain Nature from Dreamingtreesoupnetwork on etsy. Its very cleansing so I find it adds a lot of poof to my hair which I don't want but may work for you (i just love how it doesn't build up in my hair and leave the ends feeling funny). Other than that it sounds like you have a very healthy diet and shouldn't have many if any deficiencies. Carbs I don't think do much which is sad because I so love pasta more than anything else in the world.

I probably wasn't too much help but I do hope you find something to help. I however continue my search to make my hair the exact opposite which still adoring henna.:cool:

Panth
February 26th, 2011, 04:59 AM
I havent actually ever measured the circumfrance of my ponytail, it was moreso a guess before i joined longhaircommunity that i was (i/ii). I will have to buy some measuring tape:) Maybe i too would be pleasantly surprised...

Do this!

I spent my whole life thinking I had thin hair (that is not much total, as well as it being fine). Now, I find that by LHC measuring standards I actually am on the thicker side of average (i.e. thicker end of ii) despite being an F. It's just that the only other person I ever regularly saw who had long hair when I was growing up was my best friend and she's on the thick side of iii...

There is a nice hairtyping guide in the articles section of LHC that should help you out. ^_^ Also, try checking out the massive thread titled something like "Show us your braids!" ... yes, there's lots of people there with massive iii braids (so jealousy-inducing!) but you can also see there's people with beautiful, long hair who are on the thin end of i. Their hair is still beautiful.

As far as thickening your hair - really, unless you are deficient in some vitamin/mineral/nutrient, supplements won't really do that much. Also, be very wary of mega-dosing on supplements - even the water-soluble ones can (in the long term) stress your organs by overworking them if you take too much. Igor has written a very sensible post on this in her journal, if you can access that.

Good care will help some as it will reduce taper - and if you are losing a lot of hair from the nape due to rubbing against the collar, that is significant.

Other than that, braid waves, rope-braid wurls, bandana curls, rag curls and bun curls can make your hair appear thicker when loose. Various types of buns, especially sock buns, can make your hair appear bigger when up.

Good luck! And, remember, even if you have thin hair you can still have beautiful hair. ^_^

jackiesjottings
February 27th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Another naturally thin here and have come to accept it over the years. I look on the bright side.. it isn't as heavy as it might be at my length if it was thick.

I sometimes do braidwaves- two braids one over the other each side to give the impression of more volume. Dry for gentle waves and wet for very wavy waves. Even when the waves fall out it makes my hair look a bit thicker than it is.