PDA

View Full Version : Scalp problem: Should I be using a Clarifying shampoo or a Dandruff shampoo?

Eryka
February 20th, 2009, 12:33 PM
To make a long story short, I have some serious hard water buildup on my scalp. (2 years worth). This is also combined with dead skin, clogged pores, and sebum plugs coming out left and right. Some severe hairloss has happened as well.

So my question is, do I keep using the Clarifying shampoo and just give myself scalp massages to loosen things up before a shower. Or, would a Dandruff shampoo serve my purposes better because it would chemically help scrape the layers of crud off of my scalp.

Kinda confused on this one.

rosie91
February 20th, 2009, 12:37 PM
other people having been having problems like this and it seems dandruff shampoo isn't helping them. i would try a clarifying shampoo (but only once) and then maybe use a more cleansing shampoo than you have been doing to get all the hard water muck out of your hair. but nothing too stripping as this could have the complete opposite effect. i'm not sure if its true for hard water but using natural shampoo really worked for me x

lora410
February 20th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I had this issue because I was putting conditioner on my damn scalp. So I did an oil and massage treatments; then took some baking soda and poo mix and scraped the hell out of my scalp with my nails. So far so good and no funky buildup. I just have to keep conditioner off my scalp. All these years of gunk could have bee avoided.

Eryka
February 20th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hmm interesting. Problem is that I've been shampooing and scraping for a few weeks. Granted its better but, when I run my nail over my scalp, its still rough feeling. (Think running your finger over some toasted bread.)

As for the no conditioner on scalp thing, my scalp was at its happiest when I did do that. I think the problem was that I lived in Europe for roughly 3 years and never thought about what kind of water I was using. In the beginning I was using the same Clarifyer Im using now because it made my hair so nice. But after it ran out, the buildup began and hairloss ensued.

I was thinking I might have some sort of yeast or fungal infection underneath because my actual scalp hasn't had air in years but, it doesn't itch, smell, or act funky other than being crispy or flakey. (Some of those flakes have been yellow/orangeish, ironically like the calcium buildup I had to clean up off of the shower every 2 weeks.) :rolleyes:

lora410
February 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Hmm interesting. Problem is that I've been shampooing and scraping for a few weeks. Granted its better but, when I run my nail over my scalp, its still rough feeling. (Think running your finger over some toasted bread.)

As for the no conditioner on scalp thing, my scalp was at its happiest when I did do that. I think the problem was that I lived in Europe for roughly 3 years and never thought about what kind of water I was using. In the beginning I was using the same Clarifyer Im using now because it made my hair so nice. But after it ran out, the buildup began and hairloss ensued.

I was thinking I might have some sort of yeast or fungal infection underneath because my actual scalp hasn't had air in years but, it doesn't itch, smell, or act funky other than being crispy or flakey. (Some of those flakes have been yellow/orangeish, ironically like the calcium buildup I had to clean up off of the shower every 2 weeks.) :rolleyes:

Have you tried a shower filter to help get rid of some of the crap in the water? Also try applying monistat to the scalp for a week and see fi that helps. Heck you may get growth out of it. If all else fails and you have ins goto a dermatologist.

Eryka
February 20th, 2009, 03:43 PM
The hard water problem was only when I lived in Europe. I moved back to the US on Dec 1st. No hard water here, but its not as clean either.

korinstuff
February 20th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure chelating shampoo is useful for removing hard water deposits. It's supposed to remove calcium and minerals. Maybe give that a try?

curls2grow
February 20th, 2009, 05:46 PM
I normally CO wash, and I get conditioner on my scalp all the time with no probs. Mayyyybe once a year, my scalp itches, I have flakes, my roots hurt. It's not my conditioners or the fact that they touch my scalp, because I've been through many rounds of my conditioner rotation by that time. So I will use Selsun Blue Moisturizing Shampoo once, followed by conditioner and that clears it up for me. I keep it in the house until it expires because I never know when I am going to need it. I would not hesitate to use that stuff a few times if I needed to, to clear things up, but that's just me. Normally one application keeps me good for a very long time (at least a year).

MadPirateBippy
February 20th, 2009, 06:23 PM
When I need to clarify I use baking soda- you might want to make a baking soda/asprin paste and scrub your scalp with it, and then rinse VERY carefully and do a vinegar rinse (the PH for baking soda is harsh on your hair, so the acid rinse is nice to get it back to where it should be).

The thing about the dandruff shampoos is they contain anti fungals. If your scalp isn't suffering from fungus, it won't really help you.

Keenkitty
August 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I am having this same problem. I have an itchy scalp that no matter how little or how often or what shampoo or conditioner I use it has been itchy and has these sebum plug things that pop out and is massively shedding!

I finally went and got some Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and am going to use the Oyin Frank Juice Leave in and see if that helps.

I hope with good product in my haiir it will make my scalp happy and not make me break out.

KJ

ktani
August 27th, 2009, 11:44 PM
I would seriously consider seeing a dermatologist at this point to find out exactly what is going on, if by now the problem is still happening. I have hard water and used to soak my hair and scalp in conditioner for years. I had gunky scalp too at one point but not the issues you describe. I switched conditioners from time to time and shampoos during that time as well.

I hope that you get some relief soon if you have not already.

If you have been trying both clarifying and dandruff shampoos, try a shampoo for normal hair in the meantime, one without additives. It may be that the harsher shampoos are making the problem, whatever it is, worse, by drying out your scalp.

ll
August 27th, 2009, 11:54 PM
It sounds like a shampoo with salicylic acid (2%), a beta hydroxy acid which is useful for scaly buildup, might be helpful. Salicylic acid is in a few of the anti-dandruff shampoos (most contain zinc pyrithione as the active ingredient). Neutrogena T/Sal is probably the salicylic acid shampoo that is easiest to find, but there are a few others, too.

HTH :flower:

Leoneska
August 28th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Poor you...you should really see a dermatologist to rule out pathological conditions.

Where I live, the tap water is really hard, too. I do the final rinse with bottled Evian water - for me it's just worth it.

Eryka
August 28th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Still have the problem, but it is better. Still going to a dermatologist sometime in September. I want my hair back!

etihwtibbar
February 19th, 2011, 12:52 AM
This post might be redundant since I've been posting it on all the dandruff posts, but I'm so ecstatic that I couldn't not share...:p

So after I decided to go organic (no SLS, and no chemicals at all) because of years of itchy scalp I developed a dandruff problem. No more itchy scalp, but over a period of six months, my dandruff got worse and worse and I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of it. I had horrible dandruff (mine was not caused from dry scalp, mine was caused from the yeast like fungus known as Malassezia furfur) and shedding and began to develop the worst and somewhat embarrassing hair thinning problems on some parts of my head.

So in ONE day I fixed my dandruff with this recipe:

about 1/2 cup of organic Sunflower seed oil (carrier oil, light oil, good for mixing, or some people use EV olive oil)

Neem oil 2 to 3 tablespoons (yes, it smells!)

30-40 drops of tea tree oil (the magic ingredient)

10 drops of organic Sage EO for moisturizing and fragrance (can use rosemary and lavendar as well which are also excellent for hair)

a tablespoon of castor oil

1 to 2 capsules of vitamin E that I poked and drained the oil out of

I rubbed this extensively for about 10 minutes into my scalp. I worked it really well into my scalp and made sure it was saturated with the oil mixture, then I put my hair into a flat bun then wrapped it about ten times in plastic wrap.

I left this on for about 14 hours! I had it on for about five hours, after which I slept with it for about eight, and left it on for a few more hours in the morning for good measure.

I then washed it out with my soapnut solution (here's a great link from mellie:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=95

Soapnuts are amazing and have natural saponins (stuff in soap that makes you clean) they are naturally acidic (and close to ph of skin and hair) and don't strip your oils from your hair or skin. I like to add about four drops of tea tree oil and and a few drops of EO to the mix, I noticed it works better for maintaining foam and and better at cleaning. After six months of constant experimenting, these are the only things that I can afford and maintain for my organic hair and body wash care (and clean my clothes). They are pretty much can be used on anything.

I looked at my scalp after my hair dried. No flakes at all. I even extensively scratched my scalp--still no flakes. 5 days later and still no flakes!! I'm going to keep up this oil soak about once a week for preventative measures but use it on my entire mane of hair since it made it so incredibly soft. Some online sources of mine recommend using a tea tree oil/neem mixture about 2-3 times a week for two to three weeks. The great thing about this mixture is that it moisturizes your hair and scalp as well. Good luck!! =)