PDA

View Full Version : hi - newbie here with a problem

ratgirldjh
February 20th, 2009, 11:22 AM
i've been a lurker for a while. i have fine graying hair (i'm 49) and it tends to be dry. i gave up shampoo and conditioner a couple of years ago and now am mostly poo bar or WO. i do use VCO for conditioning and very weak ACV rinses.

my normal hair washing schedule is once a week. but when i get nervous (like lately) i tend to wash my hair too often. i have been washing my hair with soap or shampoo bars almost every day and the ends have gotten very dry and brittle. my hair is even breaking again :(

so - i co'd my hair the other night and i hate the way it feels now. does anyone have any ideas for me on how to get it back to normal? i know - stop washing it so much - but any quick fixes?

thanks
djh

DragonLady
February 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Maybe mix up some moisturizing conditioner with water, then spray on your ends a few times a day? That, and maybe a bit of coconut oil on them to help keep the moisture in?

LHGypsyRose
February 20th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Yeah and if what DragonLady says doesn't work after a while then you may have to do a few light dustings(small trimmings of the ends) here and there to get the ends feeling healthy again and lessen the breakage. Good luck and welcome to the forum:)

WaimeaWahine
February 20th, 2009, 11:57 PM
i've been a lurker for a while. i have fine graying hair (i'm 49) and it tends to be dry. i gave up shampoo and conditioner a couple of years ago and now am mostly poo bar or WO. i do use VCO for conditioning and very weak ACV rinses.

my normal hair washing schedule is once a week. but when i get nervous (like lately) i tend to wash my hair too often. i have been washing my hair with soap or shampoo bars almost every day and the ends have gotten very dry and brittle. my hair is even breaking again :(

so - i co'd my hair the other night and i hate the way it feels now. does anyone have any ideas for me on how to get it back to normal? i know - stop washing it so much - but any quick fixes?

thanks
djh

Welcome! :flower:

I know you hate the way it feels and want a quick fix. ;) But it takes time to find the right routine that will work for you and your hair. The Articles section is a good place to get ideas and information.

ratgirldjh
February 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
thanks y'all!

yesterday i decided to do a protein treatment and used 4 egg yolks and some amla powder and a few drops of olive oil. i left it on for over and hour and it seems to be a lot better now. if i can just keep from washing my hair so often it will be fine... grrr. why does stress make me want to wash my hair???
anyway i really need to get a trim - and i am going to do that next week. i think my hair will be happier after that :)

LHGypsyRose
February 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
Yay, I am glad that your hair is feeling better! I know it can be frustrating when your ends get to feeling that way. I personally can't say why stress causes you to wash more, but I can realate in a way.. because I go through phases of wanting to wash my hair everyday. I have to occupy myself with other things.

tani-lai
February 21st, 2009, 08:30 PM
I sympathize--stress makes me twist my hair without noticing I'm doing it. So hard on the ends, especially after a weekend with the inlaws!

ratgirldjh
February 22nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
^^^ i do that too! twist my hair and also pick out the dead hairs! my bf is constantly telling me to stop doing it because he says i get hair on him!

that is how i can tell i've been shedding more lately - there are many more hairs to pick out!
hopefully it is just a shedding cycle - but i really think i have been washing my hair too much...

yesterday i put VCO on my hair and a little castor oil on my scalp and i kept in in all day and last night. later today i am going to wash it out with pine tar soap - and hopefully leave my hair alone for a week!

wish me luck ;)