PDA

View Full Version : My first hairstick = rare compliment from dh

Kerynna
February 20th, 2009, 07:31 AM
UPDATED - see photo post #17.

I've been using a pair of cheap plastic sticks from Target to experiment with buns, but yesterday I got my first real hairstick (wood with a decorative topper) in the mail and dh was curious about the package. I opened it and opened the box and he said, "What are those, deadly weapons?" and I laughed and told him that now that my hair is getting longer it is heavy and I'm looking for comfortable ways of holding it up. I told him that I have decided to grow my hair to here (pointed to my lower mid-back) and he said, "Ooooooh! Nice!" :eyebrows:

So then I gathered my hair and twisted it and formed it into a sloppy cinnamon bun (I'm still very new at this and I was surprised at myself for doing it without a mirror and for dh to see) and I put the stick in and held my hands out as if to say "voila!" He smiled and nodded approvingly and I said, "It's not a very good bun but you get the idea." And he said "Why isn't it a good bun? It looks really nice!"

You have to understand, my husband *rarely* makes compliments. He just doesn't do that. I am fine with it because I had a lot of bad experiences with men who used flowery words and flattery with me all the time. So when my dh says something nice, it floors me because I know he really means it. :)

So, a small hair success for me! Yay!

lora410
February 20th, 2009, 07:52 AM
Woot Woot. My fiancée is the same way. he doesn't compliment me or bring me card and flowers often. But when he does it means alot. Congrats on your first compliment from DH

Amberlee
February 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
It was a very sweet compliment. My DH is the same way.

Silverlox
February 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Yay for you!!! :rockerdud:joy::cheer::happydance:

Enjoy, both your new stick and your nice compliment.

Hehe.. You're gonna be hooked on those sticks now. Just like the rest of us.. :D

Btw, - where's the picture of the new sticks?

JamieLeigh
February 20th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Sweet!!! Congrats on that compliment; I bet that felt awesome! I ordered my first REAL hair stick yesterday, and I can't WAIT for it to come in...here's hoping my DH's response will be as great as yours! ;)

Throw up some pics of your new hair toys in action!! :D

GypsyGoddess
February 20th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Aw... that's so sweet! Can't wait til my hair is long enough to put up again.

scalawaggirl
February 20th, 2009, 08:26 AM
This is wonderful. :) I'm happy for you and would like to see some pics of the new do w/hair sticks!

Naava
February 20th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I know how you feel, almost the same thing happened to me, but it was my mom who complimented me (and she usually just wants me to cut my hair shorter).

I know everyone is growing their hair for themselves, but it still is nice to hear positive feedback from the loved ones :)

strwbrry dakri
February 20th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Congratulations! I can't wait for my hair to be long enough to do ANY sort of a bun.

Why is it that some men just can't compliment? I've lived with mine for 20 years, and can count on one hand genuine compliments he has given me.

Post some pics, please?

paper
February 21st, 2009, 05:07 AM
What a nice compliment, that was sweet. I bet it looked beautiful!

Misha
February 21st, 2009, 05:17 AM
How sweet! It's encouraging too, to have that positive feedback from our loved ones.

Coriander
February 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Congratulations on your compliment and your new hair toy :) I know that must have been a glorious feeling!

Dechant
February 21st, 2009, 02:03 PM
Chiming in with the "oh, how sweet!" chorus. Gotta love it when our partners/friends show us a little support...

LittleOrca
February 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
Do you have a pic of the hairstick?! I am glad you got a compliment :D but I am a curious little imp and want to see the new toy! :bounce:

AmyJorgensen
February 21st, 2009, 02:17 PM
I so love hairsticks! My current(and first) hairtoy obsession!

LadyEliza
February 21st, 2009, 04:07 PM
It means so much when it's honest and comes from the heart!

And yes, I want to see photos too! Maybe your DH will take them for you?

Kerynna
February 22nd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the kind comments. Now, by popular demand ;) , a photo of one of the sticks. It takes me forever to get a decent photo, so I doubt I'll get around today to making a photo of the other stick, but it is similar to this one, but with a lentil-shaped enamel topper in ivory, green and orange deco.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2207&pictureid=32505

Oh, and I have no idea what kind of bun this is. :p

desertrose
February 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
that is a pretty updo and i really like the color of the stick :)

cowgirllong
February 22nd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Sincere compliments are the best kind! My husband doesn't hand them out often, so I know that he really means it when he does. I envy you having a new 'real' hairstick!

susiemw
February 22nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
congratulations on the new hair stick and on having a sweet hubby and his sincere compliment on the updo!

Your hair looks very nice up with your new stick.

it sounds like your going to have a supportive hubby on your
path to longer hair!

susan

Kerynna
February 22nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Oh, and bonus - my 21 yo daughter came home today and noticed my hair up in the stick and went on and on about how much she loves it. She asked me to show her how to do it, so I used my other new stick to demonstrate ....

... and she walked away with my stick! ;) I hope she gives it back eventually .... Otherwise, more reason to shop for more.

Angellen
February 22nd, 2009, 04:35 PM
How pretty! I'm not surprised you got complimented on it. :p Congrats!

Juneii
February 22nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
aww yay! I felt happy just reading your story :]
that's a really pretty hair stick! congrats!

skay
February 22nd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Thank you, everyone, for the kind comments. Now, by popular demand ;) , a photo of one of the sticks. It takes me forever to get a decent photo, so I doubt I'll get around today to making a photo of the other stick, but it is similar to this one, but with a lentil-shaped enamel topper in ivory, green and orange deco.

<snip picture>

I think the stick goes very well with your hair color - great choice.

The bun looks very nice. I like how your highlights and streaks are shown in the bun - especially the vertical line under the bun! :)

Kerynna
February 22nd, 2009, 06:38 PM
I think the stick goes very well with your hair color - great choice.

The bun looks very nice. I like how your highlights and streaks are shown in the bun - especially the vertical line under the bun! :)

Thank you! I hadn't even noticed that lighter streak until you pointed it out. :)

LittleOrca
February 22nd, 2009, 07:41 PM

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2207&pictureid=32505

It's such a lovely stick! Simple yet elegant! :)

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 08:47 PM
Your hair looks fantastic in the photo, I am constantly making no-idea-what-this-is buns, and hairsticks are one fun addiction. Welcome to the enabler pool. Check out the bone hair sticks on the swap board- the ones from Java are amazing.

Amberlee
February 23rd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Your bun and stick are both very pretty.