PDA

View Full Version : The wrap really works!

bsc
February 20th, 2009, 03:32 AM
I am so happy. I have wavy hair, but I find more convenient to wear my hair straight most of the time because it allows me to just comb it every morning and I am ready to go. I have been experimenting with different methods in order to be able to straighten my hair without heat.
I tried the ponytail method and it more or less worked in reducing frizz, but let my hair quite wavy.
Last night I tried the wrap (you wrap your hair around your head and hold it with several pins and let it air dry) and it really works!
My hair is so shiny, completely straight, much softer than when I dry it with the drier. Even my split ends are less noticeable.
This is the method people used to use when driers did not exist.
I think it may work not this well for people with very curly hair, but for wavy hair is perfect.
I just thought I should share it.

AprilElf
February 20th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Interesting. I'd never heard of that technique before - should give it a try one day. :)
Do you smooth the hair down against your scalp as much as you can while you wrap it?

Queenie
February 20th, 2009, 04:28 AM
OMG! I can't believe I never tried this before. It's so simple and obvious!

My hair is still damp after washing two days ago - I keep it bunned all the time. I just wrapped one half in one direction, the other half in the other direction (think heidi braids). Both halves are held together with a single bobbypin at the nape - I left the ends (about 3" remaining) loose. This is SO comfortable! Weightless hair :gabigrin:

And if this smoothes my hair out on top of the comfort, that's awesome! Sometimes I let my hair dry on big rollers to get it frizz-free, wave-free and smooth, but this a LOT easier!

Thanks for posting!!

bsc
February 20th, 2009, 05:04 AM
I used the method post in this link by PurpleAshes (the second method that appears in the thread).
I first dried a little my hair with a towel until it was still wet but not soaking wet. I detangled it completely and put a little leave-in conditioner on my ends. Then I did the wrap as PurpleAshes shows in the pictures, combing each section and trying to leave the hair as smooth as possible (it is less difficult than it seems, just make sure you have plenty of long pins). Then I put a silk scarf over my hair and went to bed. On the morning my hair was great. I hope it also works for you.

bsc
February 20th, 2009, 05:05 AM
Sorry, I forgot the link:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17291&highlight=crown+method

AutumnLeaves
February 20th, 2009, 07:16 AM
I haven't read through all the responses, but I've done this before many years ago. It does work but if you have thick hair (or maybe just an odd shaped head??? LOL) you do still have to put the crown hair into a large roller. One thing I found when I did this is that the long clips or bobby pins used to hold the hair down left little crimps in my hair.

I remember when I was in high school, one of the girls in one of my classes had such pretty straight hair. Upon talking, she told me that she had curly, frizzy hair but that she used tomato paste cans to roll her hair when she washed it. I thought that was such a neat idea as with the metal and size of the openings, it shouldn't take too long to dry either. Of course, that was back in the days of sitting under a hair dryer (I still have one)...

Pixna
February 20th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I remember when I was in high school, one of the girls in one of my classes had such pretty straight hair. Upon talking, she told me that she had curly, frizzy hair but that she used tomato paste cans to roll her hair when she washed it. I thought that was such a neat idea as with the metal and size of the openings, it shouldn't take too long to dry either. Of course, that was back in the days of sitting under a hair dryer (I still have one)...

Yep, that was likely me! Did I know you back then? ;)

Actually, that is exactly what I did -- wrapped the hair around large soup cans and sat under a giant hard-plastic hooded hair dryer. I also have a quirky method for straightening bangs from back then . . .

Pull them over to one side. Comb them flat. Then hold them down with of solid row of flat hair clips (those short silver ones). The key to making this work is to get each clip smack up next to the one before and after it -- otherwise you'll have ridges. I don't necessarily recommend this technique, but back in the '60s, when there weren't a lot of other options, it worked. It's especially good for wavy hair and cowlicks. :D

JamieLeigh
February 20th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks for sharing! I may try it one of these days. Usually when I want mine to be straight, I just let it air-dry and finger comb it every 5 minutes or so, which works well for me. (My hair is fine, and I rarely get even the small tangles nowadays)

rach
March 7th, 2009, 05:37 AM
i'll give that a go http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17291&highlight=crown+method looks more realistic and quicker to do. thankyou!

brok3nwings
March 7th, 2009, 06:37 AM
My mother used to do that when she was young. She had straight hair but she says it went completly straight :)