PDA

View Full Version : Planning my first CO wash. ?s

Heavenly Locks
February 20th, 2009, 02:05 AM
I've decided to try replacing some of my CWC washes with CO washes. :) I am currently using Pantene Beautiful Lengths S&C which are very 'coney'. Will I need to do a clarifier before I try a CO wash?

I am wanting to go a little easier on my hair and scalp and the PBL have cones as well as SLS in it. I am experiencing that scalp gunk that I made a thread about earlier and I wonder if this might help.

Can you go back and forth with CO and CWC or should I just switch all together? I am washing 2x a week and mostly it's every 5 days. :)

I just got some Suave naturals coconut for a buck! Yay! I plan to slather it on and clip it up in the shower while I shave and all that. I'm guessing it will be about 10 minutes, is that long enough?

Thanks for the help.

CrystalStar
February 20th, 2009, 02:50 AM
With the switching back and forth it's up to you really I'd guess. I'm no expert on CO but I just completely switched over one day ( 2 weeks ago :p) and havn't looked back. I did a wash with shampoo and then a CO wash, and although it left my hair a little dry after the first one it got rid of any build up problems I may have had :)

Also, I don't think ya need a full 10 mins, 5 is more than enough with the conditioner I use but I dunno bout Suave so do whatever works for ya! :p

Carolyn
February 20th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Yes you can switch back and forth. I do that all the time. I don't use something as cone-y as Pantene but I still get a little build up. You might want to clarify and then give CO a try. 10 minutes should be fine. If you are really greasy you can massage your scalp with the pads of your fingers and work the grease out.

amiaow
February 20th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Just a few minutes should be enough- just make sure you use a good handful of conditioner- I use one for my shoulder length hair. My routine goes- wet hair, apply conditioner, give it a good scrub (like you are shampooing your scalp), comb, wash the rest of me, rinse everything off. The scalp scrub really speeds things up and you don't have to let the conditioner sit for a long time :)

Heavenly Locks
February 22nd, 2009, 05:00 AM
Thanks :) my next wash should be the CO one. I got caught with a surprise 'double date' yesterday and not enough time to get ready so I had to jump in and out. CWC was the best I could do and I was so looking forward to trying it.

How can I tell if my hair has buildup from the 'cones?

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2009, 05:32 AM
How can I tell if my hair has buildup from the 'cones?It will feel like it's coated with something. You could also have tangling issues. A clarifying wash is a good place to start for many hair woes. Be sure to follow the clarifying wash with a nice rich moisturizing conditioner. SMT works great for me after clarifying.

Heavenly Locks
February 22nd, 2009, 05:43 AM
It will feel like it's coated with something. You could also have tangling issues. A clarifying wash is a good place to start for many hair woes. Be sure to follow the clarifying wash with a nice rich moisturizing conditioner. SMT works great for me after clarifying.

Any recommended place to find tips on clarifying? I'm not sure what to use?

I also need to find a place online to get some aloe gel for the SMT. Having only the base here in Japan to shop at has a few drawbacks. I certainly didn't want the green stuff with lidocane in it! LOL

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2009, 06:04 AM
I use a regular clarifying shampoo. There are quite a few out there. Suave has one that's pretty good and it's very inexpensive. The label will tell you that it's a clarifying shampoo. You can also add a little baking soda to a shampoo. I can't remember how much BS you are supposed to use. I wasn't fond of the BS as I thought it was very harsh and dried my hair out much more than a commercial clarifying poo. I'd only BS in a pinch.

Sorry I can't help you with a place to order aloe vera gel. I get mine at a health food store in another town. I don't order on line unless I have to. Maybe there is a place off base where you can find it. Do you know the local name for it?

Heavenly Locks
February 22nd, 2009, 06:07 AM
Sorry I can't help you with a place to order aloe vera gel. I get mine at a health food store in another town. I don't order on line unless I have to. Maybe there is a place off base where you can find it. Do you know the local name for it?

I wonder if I can find the aloe at a GNC? There is one on base ... :)

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. So far my hair doesn't 'seem' like it has buildup that needs clarifying...but I've been using 'coney shampoo for so long that I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. ;) I will pick up some clarifying shampoo and see if it makes a difference. If not, my husband can use it.

Carolyn
February 22nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
I wonder if I can find the aloe at a GNC? There is one on base ... :)

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it. So far my hair doesn't 'seem' like it has buildup that needs clarifying...but I've been using 'coney shampoo for so long that I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. ;) I will pick up some clarifying shampoo and see if it makes a difference. If not, my husband can use it.GNC would be a good place to start. If they don't have it, maybe they can get it for you.

:D Most men will use any kind of shampoo you give them.

Heavenly Locks
February 22nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
:D Most men will use any kind of shampoo you give them.

*snicker*

I caught him using my dove cream oil bodywash on his head...he liked the way it smelled! LOL

Heavenly Locks
February 28th, 2009, 01:17 AM
UPDATE

I am now sitting with my hair up in a towel waiting for it to get to the 'dry enough not to drip on me stage' so I can finish air drying it. :)

I did it! I tried my first CO wash and um....it was different than I expected. I got in, wetted my hair and glopped on the Suave Naturals Coconut. I clipped it up with a big claw clip and went about my shower business.

At the end I took it down, massaged the scalp and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed. My hair didn't feel 'clean' like it does with my regular S&C but it didn't feel bad either. The best word I can use is 'heavy'.

I will update again when I am all dry and I can get a good look at it.

I am wondering if I waited for it to get too dirty though. I was on day 7 since my last wash and I usually wash on day 5...I wonder if there was too much oil for the conditioner to get rid of? We'll see.

AlleyKitten
February 28th, 2009, 01:47 AM
The thing that I found to be really important is the scalp scrubbing. Unless I scrub like I have shampoo in my hair and I'm trying to get it as foamy as possible, it doesn't matter how long I leave the conditioner in, it just makes my hair lank and greasy rather than clean.

I definitely find that my boyfriend will use anything I leave in the shower :p, but I don't think it's just men. I had a friend ask me for help in picking out S&C, and she happily accepted whatever I handed her. I think a lot of people who don't care much about their hair will use anything that smells nice!

Heavenly Locks
February 28th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Well, it's dry now. My length feels nice but not as slippy as I am used to and a few large patches of my roots are either still harboring oil, or conditioner...or both. I guess I need to massage more and rinse more.

Over all though, I'm pleased enough to try it again. :)

GlassEyes
February 28th, 2009, 05:42 AM
If it doesn't work the first time, try something with more 'acid', like giovanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze.

From what I've observed, those with straighter hair do better with CO if there's an elemt of acidity to the conditioner, and it's light enough. You might be even be able to try adding some ACV or lemon juice for the effect.

That said, many straighties CO with cones to great results. I think AJoyfulNoise is one of them...