PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy glycerin?

lynnala
February 19th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I went to Long's drugs today looking for glycerin. The only place they had it was in the suppositories section! So I did buy the suppositories with the liquid glycerin in them, I can just squeeze out drops for my hair. Where do you usually find glycerin, and what section of the store is it usually in?

Sunshine69
February 19th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I buy it at a store that sells home brewing and wine making supplies. You might be able to find it at another regular pharmacy/drug store.

DragonLady
February 19th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I buy it at CVS. I just ask the pharmacist, as those little brown bottles seem to hide themselves better than easter eggs.

Delila
February 19th, 2009, 07:07 PM
I'd suggest asking for help too. The bottles I've seen aren't large, and they never seem to be shelved anywhere I'd think to look.

herbgurl82
February 19th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I've seen it at health food stores in the skin care section. The brand I have seen most often is Heritage Products Brand.

lynnala
February 19th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hmm. This was a CVS pharmacy, and I did ask the pharmacist. He's the one who showed me to the suppository area!

kwaniesiam
February 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I got some at a health food store. Its a 4 oz. bottle, cost about $6.

teela1978
February 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
I've seen rosewater&glycerin at my rite aid before, and other drug stores as well. I would think that would work alright. I don't think I've ever been in a CVS though, so no clue if they carry it or not. Not many around here.

WritingPrincess
February 19th, 2009, 07:40 PM
I buy glycerin at our health food store. What are you using it for with your hair?

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I bought mine at the health food store too and bought vegetable glycerine. I have bought it at drugstores but it was not vegetable glycerine.

lynnala
February 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I buy glycerin at our health food store. What are you using it for with your hair?I'm mixing a drop in with aloe vera gel for after wash conditioning and frizz taming.

lynnala
February 19th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I bought mine at the health food store too and bought vegetable glycerine. I have bought it at drugstores but it was not vegetable glycerine.Ah ha! I forgot about that! What is glycerin derived from if it's not vegetable glycerine?

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Ah ha! I forgot about that! What is glycerin derived from if it's not vegetable glycerine?

" Glycerol is a chemical compound (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_compound) also commonly called glycerin or glycerine. .... Glycerol is a 10% by-product of biodiesel production (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel_production) (via the transesterification of vegetable oils or animal fats)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycerol

lynnala
February 19th, 2009, 08:26 PM
" Glycerol is a chemical compound (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_compound) also commonly called glycerin or glycerine. .... Glycerol is a 10% by-product of biodiesel production (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel_production) (via the transesterification of vegetable oils or animal fats)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlycerolOh my. I didn't even think that it might come from animals. Well, because of that, to honor whatever poor creature became a part of the glycerin suppositories I bought, I will use them all up before looking for pure vegetable glycerin. Is there a difference, do you think, in the effectiveness or action in the different glycerines?

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Oh my. I didn't even think that it might come from animals. Well, because of that, to honor whatever poor creature became a part of the glycerin suppositories I bought, I will use them all up before looking for pure vegetable glycerin. Is there a difference, do you think, in the effectiveness or action in the different glycerines?

I would go for food grade, vegetable glycerine, which I think, is what I bought. I no longer use it. I bought it to adulterate catnip, when I was experimenting but kept it. I think that it has a long shelf life. I really need to clean out my supplies cupboard, lol.

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM
"Storage and Shelf Life: Store at 65 to 75°F in a dry and odor-free environment for a minimum shelf life of 12 months in unopened containers."
http://www.morethanalive.com/Vegetable-Glycerin

I really need to clean out my supplies cupboard, lol.

The label of what you buy, should tell you how to store it and the shelf life. If not, I suggest contacting the company. I have, when necessary.

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Is there a difference, do you think, in the effectiveness or action in the different glycerines?

I prefer the least chemical of chemicals, lol. Food grade works for me. The effectiveness should be the same IMO. There are people who may be sensitive to the more chemical versions of glycerine and there will be warnings on them, (there were, as I recall) on the drugstore version, I bought, that was not food grade or vegetable, glycerine. I gave my bottles of that one to a friend, who wanted them.

lynnala
February 19th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I really need to clean out my supplies cupboard, lol.
Whoops! Guess so! Thanks for all the great info ktani.

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Whoops! Guess so! Thanks for all the great info ktani.

My pleasure!

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 09:53 PM
Just to clarify, even though I kept the vege glycerine, I transfered it out of the bottle it came in, tore off the label from the bottle and used the washed out bottle for something else. That is why I no longer have the details on it but I am sure that it is vege and pretty sure, that it is food grade.

misstwist
February 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
I buy mine at Walgreens and always have to ask the pharmacist. I don't use it on my hair. It works well for taking spots off wool sweaters. Sometimes I'm messy with mustard.:doh:

lailmil
February 20th, 2009, 02:14 AM
lynnala do you rinse this conditioner (aloe+glycerin) or leave it in?

I buy vegetable glycerin on a french online shop

lynnala
February 20th, 2009, 02:43 AM
lynnala do you rinse this conditioner (aloe+glycerin) or leave it in?

I buy vegetable glycerin on a french online shopI've just started using the glycerin. I leave it in. I use a drop of glycerin and a dollop of aloe gel, rub it together on my hands and then smooth it onto my hair. So far I like it a lot.

lailmil
February 20th, 2009, 02:52 AM
thank you for your reply =)
I also use glycerin as leave in on dry hair, but I see that it works better into the shampoo
Now I want to try your gel+glycerine on wet hair after shampoo :)

lynnala
February 20th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Hi lailmil, welcome to LHC! I'll be curious to know how you like it, as you have a different hair type then I. My hair is very fine, and oil weighs it down and makes it stringy, aloe does not.

burns_erin
February 20th, 2009, 02:04 PM
I've just started using the glycerin. I leave it in. I use a drop of glycerin and a dollop of aloe gel, rub it together on my hands and then smooth it onto my hair. So far I like it a lot.

I am glad you are liking the glycerin. I typically buy food grade vegetable glycerin from the health food store. I prefer it to other kinds because it tastes sweet, not that I am eating it, or chewing on my hair, but I have had unfortunate incidences with my hair flying in my mouth from wind with bad tasting products on it. Hope this keeps working for you!