PDA

View Full Version : my hair just lacks personality

lilalong
February 19th, 2009, 11:35 AM
This is my hair right after washing, after CO wash, plopping and a bit of gel (to hold the curls longer):

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2320&pictureid=28544

This is my hair right now. I washed it yesterday, dried without touching, then slept on it, then mostly carried it in a ponytail:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2320&pictureid=32234
It looks very straight, especially compared to the curls after washing.

My hair has no personality. If I leave it in a braid, it will have waves after 5 min. If I sleep on it, it's flat. If I wash it, it's curly. It does what I say.

Anyone else know this?

(I also honestly think, this hairtyping thing doesn't work for my hair.)

HairColoredHair
February 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Oh, come now, it has plenty of personality, it's just one of those chameleons! :D

I think to hairtype that kind of hair you'd have to dry it down with nothing in it all day and hairtype once it's dry. :D No sleeping on it, no product, nothing.

But hey, it's a chameleon anyway, it's EVERY type. :D

lilalong
February 19th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks HairColoredHair. See, the problem is, I'm CONVINCED it dries differently, depending on how much I squeeze the water out of my hair with my towel. To get the best curls, I need to have it almost sopping wet and then dry it without touching.

The longer I (gently) squeeze out the water with a towel, the straighter it gets..

I'm not really complaining, by the way. I'm just amazed at the difference in the two pictures..

lora410
February 19th, 2009, 11:42 AM
My hair has to much personality. Right now its being an ass by being string at the ends. I thought it was buildup, So I clairified and cut out condish. Nope still being an ass..LOL

LittleOrca
February 19th, 2009, 11:43 AM
I think your hair may have split personalities! It wants to be straight, then wavy, then curls, then straight, it just can't make up its mind! :)

It looks lovely though. :D

spidermom
February 19th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Your hair may be bipolar.

RancheroTheBee
February 19th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Your hair has lots of personalities! :grin:

Seriously, I know how you feel about the curling. Do you use 'cones? I find that they flatten hair a little bit, and make it straighter as time goes on. Lighter conditioners tend to let the hair bounce a little. Also, there's a YouTube tutorial somewhere that teaches you how to curl the hair using rags, but I forgot the title. -_-; Someone know where it is?

lilalong
February 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I think your hair may have split personalities!
:D

Your hair may be bipolar.

Aaaaaaah!:bigeyes:
I wasn't aware my hair could have psychological disorders.
:eyebrows:

Maybe a therapist could help..

JamieLeigh
February 19th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I WISH my hair would do what I tell it to do!! The only thing I can tell from your posts and pics, is that you're lucky. You have different ways that you can wear your hair. You can be either straight or curly without having to be married to either, unlike so many other people, and you already know how to achieve those looks, without resorting to heat styles or messy products.

Or maybe I should say "blessed" instead of "lucky"? :)

girlcat36
February 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Um, I would like that hair!

NiAosSi
February 19th, 2009, 06:39 PM
*Puts on Freud hat and takes a line of cocaine.* Well, I think your hair's problems have to do with your repressed sexual desires. Oh, and maybe you repressed love of your father. Oh, and your id is unbalanced. *Freud hat off."

How's that for therapy. :D

Lamb
February 19th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Well, it may be pliant and submissive to a fault, but it sure looks lovely! :)

MadPirateBippy
February 19th, 2009, 08:56 PM
*Puts on Freud hat and takes a line of cocaine.* Well, I think your hair's problems have to do with your repressed sexual desires. Oh, and maybe you repressed love of your father. Oh, and your id is unbalanced. *Freud hat off."

*dies laughing*

Your hair wants to sleep with it's father. However, since your hair has no father, it just does what you want it to do. :eyebrows:

Seems like your hair is wavy with a tendancy to curl when super moisturized-several of us wavies are like that.

Still, it must be nice to have eager to please hair! :cheese:

Alia
February 19th, 2009, 10:39 PM
Your hair has a personality...an exceedingly biddable one.:)

invisiblebabe
February 19th, 2009, 10:49 PM
I think your hair is lovely!

lilalong
February 20th, 2009, 01:12 AM

Your hair wants to sleep with it's father. However, since your hair has no father, it just does what you want it to do. :eyebrows:

:shocked:
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Thanks guys, my hair feels much better now. Maybe it can even go off meds.. ;)

Katze
February 20th, 2009, 02:38 AM
I think your hair is lovely. In its chameleon changeability, it's a LOT like mine - but yours is thicker and longer and hangs more nicely.

Your hair is truly beautiful. Truly. It's how I hope mine will eventually be - it looks so thick and healthy, and has something "wild" about it. :flower:

I still struggle with "what hair type is mine, anyway?!?" but recently got confirmation that it is, indeed, mixed. In order to do so I had to airdry it, NOT squeezing or touching, with nothing on it - hard! Mine is a mix of fine and straight and medium and curly. So it's mostly straight, but takes suggestions easily and also acts frizzy and goes into spirals like much wavier hair.

Let me give you an analogy. In addition to changeable hair, my eyes change color. As a kid this bothered me a lot, since everyone else in my family had obvious brown eyes. I wanted a distinct color, preferably green (like a cat). One day I was driving along the ocean and noticed its color - green, grey, brown, and blue all at the same time. just like my eyes. Since then this color has been one of my favorites, and I do everything I can to enhance and play up my eye color. It doesn't lack in personality, quite the contrary!

As others have said many would give anything to get "suggestable" hair. You just have to find what "suggestions" make it look nice. With mine, for example, braid waves are a no-go.

hope you are feeling better about your gorgeous hair!

Katze

Bene
February 20th, 2009, 02:45 AM
oh, boo hoo, you have shiny, beautiful, manageable, well-behaved, agreeable hair that does what you say and doesn't fight with you when you need it to take orders... oh the horror!!!!

(yes, insanely envious)

lilalong
February 20th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

Just to clarify: I like my hair - never said otherwise.
Although I sometimes do get exasperated at the vast changes it undergoes.

Unicorn
February 24th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Loads of personality! Changeable though beautiful in every guise. :-)

Unicorn

Kimberly
February 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Just to clarify: I like my hair - never said otherwise.
Although I sometimes do get exasperated at the vast changes it undergoes.

Your hair sounds similar to mine. When I leave mine completely alone to do its own thing after a wash, I get springy curls. But depending on how much water I squish out of it when I dry it, if I comb it, etc. it can end up in 1 territory. This used to bother me, especially before I figured out why it would look so different from day to day. Now I have a lot of fun with it. I think chameleon hair is the most fun of all, because we get to try all sorts of things!

Heidi_234
February 25th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Wanna switch? :deal:

SimplyLonghair
February 25th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Your hair sounds similar to mine. When I leave mine completely alone to do its own thing after a wash, I get springy curls. But depending on how much water I squish out of it when I dry it, if I comb it, etc. it can end up in 1 territory. This used to bother me, especially before I figured out why it would look so different from day to day. Now I have a lot of fun with it. I think chameleon hair is the most fun of all, because we get to try all sorts of things!

I agree I have chameleon hair too. Touching is a no no if you want curl, but it will curl nicely if I want it to, braid waves are a cynch, otherwise I just have to touch it and all of the curls disappears like magic :magic: LOL

majesticmoon
July 6th, 2013, 08:24 PM
i know your pain my hair does this. I dont go all the way to curly but extreme wavy to flat as a pancake. I notice when i let it dry without touching it too much it drys wavy.

heidr
July 6th, 2013, 08:33 PM
I'll switch with you. My hair is straight. It doesn't matter what I do to it, it's just straight. Blah.

jacqueline101
July 6th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Have you tried working with it like doing different up dos.

Wildcat Diva
July 6th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Man. Zombie thread. Three years old and change.