PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar and honey?

orangeeyecrayon
March 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I know there is a special thread for honey but i thought this deserved its own thread.

i was watching this show a few days ago (aka. yesteday) and it refrenced a book from england from some time before dentists. and it was saying that these women used vinegar, honey and tobacco (the tobacco was just for an abrassive) to lighten there teeth.

So i was thinking that this would work well as a rinse to lighten the hair, i was just wondering what your guys thought on using this would be.

i was also wondering what kind of vinegar you would all recomend, since i know that some vinegar's can tint your hair a bit, which is not exactly the effect i am looking for.

Carina
March 30th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I'm a blonde as you can see.When I do my acv rinse I add some honey and it works very well for me.But I haven't noticed any change in my color yet.

Flaxen
March 30th, 2008, 01:36 PM
I also do a honey and ACV rinse as my conditioner (1 tsp. each in 2 cups water), and I haven't noticed any color change.

Nynaeve
April 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM
I also do a honey and ACV rinse as my conditioner (1 tsp. each in 2 cups water), and I haven't noticed any color change.

Have you tried white vinegar + honey?
Isn't ACV supposed to slightly darken? And if so, wouldn't that counterbalance the honey and make you have no color change?
I ask because it seems that if you used like.. white vinegar or something, it seems like it might lighten a tiny bit.

Flaxen
April 1st, 2008, 04:17 PM
I've thought about trying white vinegar instead, but just haven't done it yet. I don't get a color change from the ACV, and the aroma is kind of growing on me, lol. :lol:

Patrycja
April 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ok-honey is super sticky so how does the ACV and honey not be sticky if used as a conditioner/rinse?

cutenappygrl
April 6th, 2008, 08:13 AM
bumping - curious to see if anyone else hae experienced any lightening effects.

Flaxen
April 6th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Ok-honey is super sticky so how does the ACV and honey not be sticky if used as a conditioner/rinse?
I use water that is slightly warm, and the honey completely dissolves as I stir it in. Then I stir in the ACV, and the whole thing is completely liquid and not sticky at all.

I do rinse this out of my hair, however. If I leave it in, it does leave spots of stiffness.

ktani
April 6th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Flaxen

The stiffness could be from honey residue and or the pectin in acv.

apple cider vinegar and pectin
http://books.google.ca/books?id=Z7QfmwwFJ7gC&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=apple+cider+vinegar+pectin&source=web&ots=Mg-YD7TLxz&sig=1Fc_UtvoIHQWyCj5Jtmwan-LtTM&hl=en

Flaxen
April 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Thank you for the link! Those book previews are cool. :smile:

It's the honey that causes stiffness for me. I've had it happen with a honey-only rinse, but never an ACV-only rinse. Fun to try to comb through! :lol:

ktani
April 6th, 2008, 04:42 PM
Flaxen

I just had removed that link - I put it back with the text after seeing your post.

Pectin in acv is controversial - it depends on what you read.

That book on closer examination looked a bit too much to me.

It might depend on whether or not acv is filtered as to what amounts of pectin are there.

Flaxen
April 6th, 2008, 05:01 PM
No problem, ktani! :flowers:

ktani
April 6th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Flaxen

Thank you - I will be more careful in the future.