PDA

View Full Version : Cassia giving black streaks?

Henna Sooq
February 19th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Hi everyone! Hope you all are well

Just wondering because someone brought this to my attention, that someone was saying that a person with blond hair used cassia obovata and they got black streaks?

How did that happen and what did anyone find out about this?

Naava
February 19th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Unfortunately cassia hasn't given me any steaks :D I'm sorry, I just had to write that :)

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 08:02 AM
This is what I have on cassia colour. The only thing I can think of, is that the cassia used, was not pure cassia.

Cassia Chemistry
".... Other constituents in senna include chrysophanic acid, salicylic acid, saponin, resin, mannitol .... and trace amounts of volatile oil."
http://www.drugs.com/npp/senna.html

Chrysophanic acid - "yellow-orange powder"
http://www.carlroth.be/catalogue/catalogue.do?ID=1178804185790&favOid=0000000100005b7e00040023&CMD=SELECT&act=showBookmark&lang=nl-nl&catId=NL

"Chrysophanic acid (sodium hydroxide fraction) ... shows orange-red with sulphuric acid, yellow with nitric acid, and a yellow .....on dilution." See "290"
http://www.rsc.org/delivery/_ArticleLinking/DisplayArticleForFree.cfm?doi=AN9154000287&JournalCode=AN

According to this link, in pure form, chrysophanic acid, is golden yellow, and there is more detail about it changing colour in different solutions. See "Description"
http://www.henriettesherbal.com/eclectic/kings/acidum-chry.html

Cassia senna or cassia obovata and its immediate relative, are pH sensitive. They will yield different colours in different solutions. That is why they can yield brassy or red or yellow tones.

That is also why, when mixed with enough distilled water at pH 7, they yield no appreciable colour.

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM
On cassia species.

"Senna or senna leaves are actually .... dried leaflets of two species of Cassia: C. senna L., known as Alexandria senna, and C. angustifolia Vahl .... Both plants .... small shrubs of the family Caesalpiniaceae. The former species grows along the Nile in Egypt and Sudan .... latter .... cultivated in southern and eastern India. Some authorities now consider both plants as belonging to a single species, Senna alexandrina Mill.; however .... distinct morphologic and histologic differences between the two species, so this revision .... not widely accepted by pharmacognosists."
http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_senna.htm

Henna Sooq
February 19th, 2009, 08:41 AM
thanks ktani! I know most people don;t have issues with cassia obovata and especially when used properly or a pure form of cassia. But someone said on another forum something about black streaks in their hair after they used cassia. It was told me through a third person who read it.

lora410
February 19th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Sound slike they got a mix of cassia and indigo if you ask me.

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 08:47 AM
thanks ktani! I know most people don;t have issues with cassia obovata and especially when used properly or a pure form of cassia. But someone said on another forum something about black streaks in their hair after they used cassia. It was told me through a third person who read it.

You are most welcome.

You would really need to talk to the person herself and ask questions. A number of times in Honey for example, people were sure that honey lightening, or just a honey rinse had darkend their hair and it had turned out that they were using something else, like castor oil or amla, that was adding colour to the hair. Many times, people do not relate certain things they use, to a colour result.

Also, it depends on what exactly this person purchased, as cassia.

Themyst
February 19th, 2009, 08:49 AM

This may be what you are talking about - it's from hennaforhair.com:

http://www.hennaforhair.com/forum/index.php?module=phpwsbb&PHPWSBB_MAN_OP=reply&PHPWS_MAN_ITEMS=8161&reply_to=46781&4e888c709e0d92276bae8ba6a347c0e5=6db1a76fcdc4d641f 59e3bd202b63e4b

Henna Sooq
February 19th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Lora it's possible.

Ktani you are absolutely right. It all depends on what they used and that's what I told the person who told me about this. I just thought maybe someone had read about it or had known what the issue had ended up being.

Henna Sooq
February 19th, 2009, 08:55 AM
yes thanks Themyst! Wow what a complete disaster. I feel bad about those black streaks. I am glad they've been figuring it out :)

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Lora it's possible.

Ktani you are absolutely right. It all depends on what they used and that's what I told the person who told me about this. I just thought maybe someone had read about it or had known what the issue had ended up being.

What I do not understand is why they were concentrating on the water source alone, when she said she had used Color Oops http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=304384&id=prod2180463#ingredient, 5 or 6 times and also used L'oreal color remover. They are both sulphur based. She may not have been using them properly and one or both may have contributed to the problem. From what I have read on that forum, some people skip the part of the colour remover kits, which contains peroxide. Most hair colour removers are sulphur based, http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100661&id=prod9331.

Flaxen
February 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Unfortunately cassia hasn't given me any steaks :D I'm sorry, I just had to write that :)

LOL, title fixed. Carry on.:)

Henna Sooq
February 19th, 2009, 05:32 PM
Right on Ktani, so true!!

What did I write as my title before? Was it different from "cassia giving black streaks"?

Themyst
February 19th, 2009, 06:05 PM

What did I write as my title before? Was it different from "cassia giving black streaks"?

Heh heh, I do believe it was 'steaks' :yumm:

ktani
February 19th, 2009, 06:28 PM

Just my take on the H4H thread. I did not notice the title change, except for the post by Flaxen, sorry. You are/were right on too, IMO.

Wyldekat
February 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM
The lady has replied on the H4H website. She now believes it was due to using color opps to remove the black streaks each time. She is now wearing her hair in braids so that you cannot notice the streaks. She is letting it grow out and will be able to cut off the black streaks. She is sticking with Henna! yay!

Henna Sooq
February 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I wrote steaks!! lol!! oopsie :) but yum too!

Yes the woman who had this experience also emailed me directly. I guess she saw my post here :)

ktani
February 20th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I wrote steaks!! lol!! oopsie :) but yum too!

Yes the woman who had this experience also emailed me directly. I guess she saw my post here :)

I make so many typos I need to correct, lol. My mind "corrects" for me to the point that when I reread a post of mine, I am shocked at the typos I have actually missed, lol.

You may have been hungry when you wrote the first title, lol.

Henna Sooq
February 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM
haha!! probably :)

ktani
February 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM

That is great. You were able to talk to her directly, which is always preferable to a second or third hand report, IMO.

Henna Sooq
February 20th, 2009, 08:02 AM
yeah for sure it is. She seems cool that she understands more what has happened and just being really patient about all of it! Don't we all wish we could be more like her or if others could be when a disaster happens like this.
It takes a lot of courage to be able to deal with black streaks like that.

ktani
February 20th, 2009, 08:05 AM
yeah for sure it is. She seems cool that she understands more what has happened and just being really patient about all of it! Don't we all wish we could be more like her or if others could be when a disaster happens like this.
It takes a lot of courage to be able to deal with black streaks like that.

I agree completely. She sought out advice on and understanding of, the problem. Great attitude and courage, IMO.