PDA

View Full Version : Hairline at nape

Kerynna
February 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Now that my hair is getting almost long enough to wear up in some nice buns and things, I'm noticing that the hairline at my nape looks very unkempt and ragged. It's shaped like a huge, jagged W and I hate it! Is there anything I can do about it? Do others have this issue?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2207&pictureid=32102

NiAosSi
February 19th, 2009, 07:18 AM
I have the same problem. Mine curl. I just leave it alone and baby them. Hopefully, they will grow out soon enough. :)

Kerynna
February 19th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Those hairs that you see lowest on my neckline are growing out at that point (and pulled up into the bun). They are not shorter hairs hanging down.

Silver & Gold
February 19th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I find that if you don't like the way your natural growth pattern is at the nape, just let the hair be a bit looser in the back. It really softens that line when you do this and the sharp "w" pattern is less obvious.

And by the way, I think a bit of a shape like this adds interest to the hair. You could also pull those strands out at the points on the sides and let them be loose tendrils. I think that's a really pretty, feminine look.

OhioLisa
February 19th, 2009, 08:09 AM
No one's hairline at the nape is perfect. I think yours looks just fine. :) I say don't worry about it.

Kerynna
February 19th, 2009, 08:19 AM
No one's hairline at the nape is perfect. I think yours looks just fine. :) I say don't worry about it.

Thank you. I think I'm just in one of those "I hate my hair" moods today. :p I looked at other people's photos of updo's and their hairline looks so even and smoothly curved around and I feel all inferior and stuff. :o

Carolyn
February 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Everyone has a nape hairline just like they do at the front. They all vary. I do know things like a widow's peak can be hereditary so I imagine that the back hair line can be the same way. I make sure my neckline hair is well conditioned and I try not to wear necklaces that catch and rip/break the hair. Also don't sleep in a necklace. It can cause a lot of breakage. There really is nothing you can do to change your hairline. You can keep the hair neater with something like some aloe when you have you hair in an updo.

rosie91
February 19th, 2009, 09:30 AM
at least it's not bald there :D

plainjanegirl
February 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
at least it's not bald there :D

My thought exactly.
Take a look at the pics of my nape hair and you will be thankful for what you do have.:D

eyesofsummer
February 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM
It's funny I came across this post, I just added pictures of my hairline to my album a week or so ago. I have a similar nape hairline (and a widow's peak, too :) ), so I'm very spiky all around. I usually wear my hair down, so I never really notice it. Even when my hair's up, it's really only apparent when the hair is pulled tightly. I agree with Silver & Gold, if it bothers you just keep that part of your hair a little looser in updos than you normally would. Personally, I think it looks nice just how it is!

Kerynna
February 19th, 2009, 10:21 AM
All these posts are really helping me feel better about it, thank you! I agree that keeping my hair looser will help. My hair is barely long enough for updos so I have to pull it up pretty good.

It also helps to know I'm not alone and that everyone's nape hairline is different. I was feeling like a freak or something, lol.

embee
February 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
No freak.. Just hair there. Lucky you! If it's short and you leave it out of the updo will it make little curls? If so, I envy you. Mine is just straight little strings, back and front. Sad. So I go many days between washings, it helps those stragglers to stay put! ;)