PDA

View Full Version : Washing scalp with minimal damage

Arfed
February 19th, 2009, 02:19 AM
Some comments in this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=20634) thread got me wondering, what exact method do other forum members use when washing their scalp, so as to avoid causing damage (while still properly cleaning the scalp)?

I base my routine off of this (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=8) article, and while it tells you to avoid piling your hair on top of your head, it doesn't go into any more detail than that.
I apply shampoo to my hair, down to my ears, then use my fingers (rubbing up/down) to work it onto my scalp; I do the same when rinsing the shampoo off.

I try not to be rough, but to clean properly I do need to rub a fair bit; it's hard to tell if I might be rubbing to vigorously?

rosie91
February 19th, 2009, 03:06 AM
i have to rub too. i think it would be more damaging if you left the oil/buildup on your hair than getting it really clean. as long as you don't get the length caught up i figure it should be fine. my hair hasn't fallen out! :D

Aditi
February 19th, 2009, 03:20 AM
If you feel that you cant get your scalp clean without rubbing it, then you rub you hair gently like gentle movement of hand strokes.That way you will get your hair cleaned without much damaging them.

Aditi
February 19th, 2009, 03:20 AM
If you feel that you cant get your scalp clean without rubbing it, then you rub you hair gently like gentle movement of hand strokes.That way you will get your hair cleaned without much damaging them.

Katze
February 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
you don't need to rub your hair at all; if your scalp does need light rubbing, then you can do this with your fingertips right on the scalp itself.

People who WO (water only) wash, for example, use this light massaging technique to remove any loose skin from the scalp and to help move sebum (your scalp's natural oils) down the length.

Shampoo is actually dissolving oils from your scalp and hair, so the cleansing takes place in this process and not in any kind of rubbing/scrubbing. Scrubbing just tangles your hair, making damage more likely.

My hair is very fine at the crown as well as damaged at the ends, so I have to be very careful with it. I get it wet, then shampoo just the scalp, very often while I have conditioner on the ends (this is called the "CW" or "CWC" method - C being condition, W for shampoo washing). The shampoo runs down the length, cleansing as it goes - no need for piling it on top of my head like in commercials! I cringe when I see women at the pool doing this - and I bet many of them have been told their hair "won't grow". Yes, it won't grow if you treat it like that!

my two cents

Katze