PDA

View Full Version : Friction during CO washing damaging?

boomygrrl
February 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
In order to really clean your hair while CO washing, you need to rub it in really well onto your hair and scalp. Or at least that's what I've read. And from experience, it does get my hair and scalp clean.
I'm wondering if long-term use of CO washing can be damaging to the hair, due to the rubbing friction?
I'm wondering if I should just use a non-sulfate shampoo, so I don't have to rub my hair as much.
What are your thoughts?

tinabcurly
February 18th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Maybe I misunderstood the instructions! I've always thought that for CO, you coat the hair and scalp with condish, masage the scalp only and detangle the length and rinse well. Use as little manipulation of the length as possible for the best curl formation.

When you say "rub" the hair, how do you mean? I'm envisioning putting the hair between your palms and rubbing your hands? If that's right, it would cause short term damage for me- nevermind long term. Doing anything besides detangling the length causes knots & breakage on my hair.

~GypsyCurls~
February 18th, 2009, 01:50 PM
As long as you rub gently, I don't think there would be any damage...but rubbing vigorously between your palms would cause damage IMO.

edensapples
February 18th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Use as little manipulation of the length as possible for the best curl formation.

Or you know, best straight hairs formation for those of us who are not blessed with those pretty locks ;)

Nevermore
February 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM
Are you using enough conditioner? I gently part my hair to put conditioner on my scalp or just glop a handful of conditioner on top and let it seep down, then put handfuls down my length. I do no more rubbing than I would for a scalp massage (fingers mostly in the same place, gently swirling over scalp) and fingercomb those handfuls of conditioner through my length, gently bun it with a scrunchie and let it sit while I do my other shower stuff, then rinse.

I can't imagine CO washing requiring so much massaging that it would be damaging if it were done right.

boomygrrl
February 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Let me clarify, I'm not rubbing the heck out of my hair. I do rub it more so than I would shampoo, as friction is helping to clean the hair.
This is more a curiosity question. I haven't noticed damage, but just curious if thereis long-term problems with it.
I do more than just detangle the length of hair. I do rub in the conditioner to "clean" it, but it's not vigorous or anything.
Yeah, I usually use a lot of conditioner. Today, I didn't, and that might be why I'm asking. I did have to rub a little harder than usual. So, I will remember to pile on the condish. LOL

boomygrrl
February 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
I used to rub my hair dry with a towel, so this is nothing in comparison. LOL

rosie91
February 18th, 2009, 02:09 PM
probably not. i rub my scalp quite a lot when i shampoo because otherwise my scalp doesn't get clean so if your scalp needs it, do it i say :)

Nevermore
February 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
Maybe a different conditioner would help too? I've had to do less massaging than with shampoo, but maybe my citrus-y conditioner helps (suave citrus smoothie) with the cleaning.

spidermom
February 18th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I stroke my scalp in one direction, from forehead/temple area toward nape area, whether I'm shampooing or COing. I do it a bunch of times in slightly different finger positions, until I feel that my entire scalp has been massaged. Then I comb conditioner through my hair.

If you're doing something like that, it's not at all damaging. Never stroke or rub in the opposite direction that the cuticle lies (which would be up the hair shaft). Always massage downward.

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2009, 02:20 PM
As long as you're not too vigorous with it, you should be fine. I think that when they suggest rubbing the scalp, they mean gently.

edensapples
February 18th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I think RancheroTheBee is right.

Ursula
February 18th, 2009, 02:50 PM
If there is noticable "friction" when applying the conditioner, I've found that it is a sign that I need more conditioner. The hair, particularly at the scalp where the most massage is needed to work the conditioner, should be slimy with conditioner.

It also helps, I've found, to apply the conditioner in stages, and in sections. I'll take a handful of conditioner, work it into the front-left section of my scalp, then more conditioner for the back-left section, etc. After covering my whole scalp, I add conditioner to the length. The hair doesn't get piled on my head, and the conditioner application actually helps detangle.

After the conditioner soaks, I comb with a wide tooth comb, adding more conditioner if needed to tangled spots, then continue to comb as I rinse.

This seems to work to clean well with minimum damage.

edensapples
February 18th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I guess only time will tell, how you feel about it in a week will be a good sign.

xeternalsilence
February 19th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I ditto everything Ursula said.

I CO, and I don't rub anymore vigorously than I did with shampoo. I do rub gently while rinsing, but that's mostly to help get the conditioner off of my scalp.

GlebeGirl
February 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I don't think I've ever rubbed my hair when doing CO. I use large quantities of conditioner, apply it all over my scalp and through my hair by the handsful so that it's absolutely coated with it, then leave it to sit for an extended period of time.

The only rubbing that happens is using my fingertips to massage my scalp before I start the rinsing process. I don't manipulate my hair at all, actually, other than to press the conditioner into it. The conditioner is usually cheap and watery enough that it just soaks right in there.

There isn't any rubbing during the rinsing process, either, because I'm just letting the pull of the water remove the conditioner.

intothemist1999
February 19th, 2009, 10:23 PM
I think the trick is to stick with the instructions of using lots and of letting the conditioner sit a while. In my case it's rarely longer than 5 minutes, but it works. I just gently finger massage my scalp.

I don't "rub" the length. I let the shower rinse out as much as possible, and I also sort of "fluff" my hair (as much as you can actually "fluff" wet hair) and lift it away from the scalp. As for the length I don't rub, but more like finger comb it or run my hands over it.

mamaherrera
September 14th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I have to bring this post back please dont' get mad. I know I'm irritating my scalp by trying to hard to massage/rub the scalp to keep it clean as I've had dandruff, product buildup, you name it. so I try to clean real well while I have product and while rinsing. I see some say they don't really touch the scalp, that they just let it sink in. Can someone please share and be a bit more specific about the techniques of cleaning the scalp, direction, motion, how they get it all cleaned without missing areas, so that I don't continue to irritate my scalp???I would appreciate any help yo can give so much. Thanks