PDA

View Full Version : Stupid texture differences. [w/ pics.]

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I wanted to know how to change the texture of my hair without using heat. I'm a big heat-appliance addict, and I know that needs to stop if I want to ever join the no-trimming club. Here's the problem; on my best day, I look like a cartoon witch. On my worst day...

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b198/emagdalene/feb18.jpg

You see those little flippy bits? Those usually only show up on one side; regardless of which side I sleep on, it ends up being random. i don't care if it curls under, like the left side, or out, like the right side. I want to it to do the same thing all over, so it looks intentional. Last time my hair was this length and I wasn't using heat, I was fourteen and my hair was straight. I've got at least 6-9 months until I can comfortably put it up into a ponytail, so what should I do until then?

Thanks, everybody! :)

PS: Excuse the look on my face. I just woke up. Also, there's a drawing behind me on the left side of the picture; that's not hair. Haha.

peachrose
February 18th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I think you will find that once you gain more length, you will love you natural texture. In the meantime I would get some cute headbands and little clips for the sides. Maybe you could also try the "plopping" method (could find this in the articles section) to bring out your natural wave but make it look more consistent.. My hair looked quite similar at this length so try to be kind to yourself :) In the meantime just try to take good care of your hair and before you know it, it'll be to your shoulders!

spidermom
February 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
You can use your blow dryer on warm or cool to give your hair some direction. Or wet it first thing in the morning and run some gelled fingers through it.

rosie91
February 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM
i think your hair is really nice and i don't think you should try to change it. i would give anything for body in my hair like you have. i say embrace the bedhead look!
(and by the way your skin is gorgeous!)

melrose1985
February 18th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I have/had this same problem. Once my hair gets long enough it weighs it down so it doesnt do it anymore.

Sorry no advice.

lora410
February 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
because you are a wavy you hair will do that when short. It will go by faster then your think, and before you know it your hair will behave:)

FallenAngel
February 18th, 2009, 12:46 PM
You look way better newly awake than I do, I assure you! Hair AND you. :)

I'm at the same lengt, and my hair does the exact same thing... But has more layers... I pretend I'm stylish. :silly: I just hope that all these stange formations will form pretty waves in a year or so.

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2009, 12:50 PM
i would give anything for body in my hair like you have. i say embrace the bedhead look!
(and by the way your skin is gorgeous!)

Bah-ha! This is my flat look; you should have seen it yesterday. The very front was about three inches from my scalp in height. And thank you; it turns out the prescription for getting rid of acne was entering my twenties. :D

Spidermom: I think I may try that, perhaps combining the two things. I've got a really light gel somewhere that might help.

Peachrose: I can't believe I forgot about plopping. And thank you; I resurrected my head band. I forgot about how useful they can be.

Thank you, everybody. Le sigh. Can't wait for shoulder. Haha.

LutraLutra
February 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I remember the "Cartoon Witch" stage all too well. :D Judging by the pic I'd say you might almost be heading out of that and into "wavy", not "weird". Not that you look weird at all, it looks cute. After I washed my hair I'd comb it into postion, then after it dried I'd dampen the worst sticking out bits then use a round brush to try and calm them down, sometimes it worked better than others. It will get better with lenght though, honest. :)

SHELIAANN1969
February 18th, 2009, 01:22 PM
My hair was a wreck when it was short, it does lay better the longer it gets, but my hair still acts wonky. I bun it inthe morning because I wear a headset all day and my hair will get caught in the headset if it isn't tight against my head, I have tried ponytails and the only other way to not rip my hair is by wearing a bandana.

At the end of the day, my hair is all frizzed out and I have to rebun at least one or two times during a 10 hour day.

It all frizzes out and sticks up, I was thinking about this yesterday. When I looked in the mirror, I looked like I had just stuck my finger in an electric socket! :D

I used gel, smoothing lotion, leave in conditioner or Aloe Vera gel when my hair was short and unruly. I still have to use something at least once a day to tame the fuzz but it acts a lot better now that it's grown quite a bit.

Your hair just has a sassy attitude! :D I love the color!!

Pegasus Marsters
February 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Give it a few months and you'll gain enough length to avoid that. Until then just dampen your hair and comb it into place in the morning. Always worked for me.

Nevermore
February 18th, 2009, 02:11 PM
I can't see your picture, but would it be possible for you to use those fabric-covered wire curler thingies, like these: http://www.tenderheaded.com/goodpilsofro.html, to roll the least common sticky-outy bits in the direction as the others? I dunno if that made sense, but basically, you'd just look at whether sticking out or going under is the flavor of the day, then dampen and roll the rebellious ones in that direction. I can get nice wavey tendrils from doing my damp (no product) hair in pin curls for about five minutes, so maybe the same trick would work for you with those flippy bits?

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I can't see your picture, but would it be possible for you to use those fabric-covered wire curler thingies, like these: http://www.tenderheaded.com/goodpilsofro.html, to roll the least common sticky-outy bits in the direction as the others? I dunno if that made sense, but basically, you'd just look at whether sticking out or going under is the flavor of the day, then dampen and roll the rebellious ones in that direction. I can get nice wavey tendrils from doing my damp (no product) hair in pin curls for about five minutes, so maybe the same trick would work for you with those flippy bits?

I like how that made perfect sense. :D That's how I describe things, too. Anyway, great idea! Thanks. :)

Elphie
February 18th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I think your hair looks quite cute like that, certainly much better than mine ever did at that length without heat styling help! Fabulous color as well! How about hair buffs or bandanas? Those might be helpful on the days it bothers you the most.

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
I think your hair looks quite cute like that, certainly much better than mine ever did at that length without heat styling help! Fabulous color as well! How about hair buffs or bandanas? Those might be helpful on the days it bothers you the most.

I Googled 'hair buffs' and it came up with a bunch of pictures of cats, and a guy with a bandana tied around the base of the neck. Is that what you need?

Elphie
February 18th, 2009, 05:54 PM
http://planetbuff.com/blog/?page_id=69

This shows a variety of ways to wear one. Think fancy bandana that's stretchy.

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thank you! :)

SpecialKitty
February 18th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Ranchero, I think you have great hair! I like the sticky-outy bits actually, and your hair has LOTS of texture, body, and charisma. Nice color and shine too.