PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Fringe = Bad idea

LaurelSpring
February 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM
I have seen a couple of threads lately about people who have cut in some fringe and really liked it so I thought I would give it a try. I had finally grown out my forever bangs and had some sort of memory glitch or something about that and thought I would just nick in a few whispies. Bad idea! Now every updo I do looks frumpy and messy because I have all these hangy out parts. :steam

The thing is when I look at pictures of me with bangs I think I look much better but when I look at me in the mirror in person I think I look much better without. Very weird.

So here I am again back on the brow out fringe wagon eating some hair with every bite now!

Tornerose
February 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Are you sure you didn't use too little hair for bangs?
I have the same problem with my hair some days, because it's so thin.. when it's newly washed it's hard to tell I have hair at all sometimes, then it seems thicker and thicker throught the week because it gets oilier and more dirty. I've been thinking about making my bangs thicker, but then again I don't want to loose the thickness of my ponytail.

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 07:54 PM
I think the best way to handle fringe as a long hair is to get a fake one made in your hair color. That way you can have fun with it, and when you are done? No damage to your length, no awkward growing out.

You can google fake bangs and fake fringe and see some really fun stuff. They're not hard to make, hard to use, or expensive to buy.

Tap Dancer
February 23rd, 2009, 05:42 AM
Since you're already stuck growing them out, why not go to a salon? Maybe you didn't cut them right? I'd let a hairdresser "fix" them. Then, if you still don't like your bangs, you haven't really lost anything since you had to grow some hair out anyway.

LaurelSpring
February 23rd, 2009, 09:37 AM
I think the best way to handle fringe as a long hair is to get a fake one made in your hair color. That way you can have fun with it, and when you are done? No damage to your length, no awkward growing out.

You can google fake bangs and fake fringe and see some really fun stuff. They're not hard to make, hard to use, or expensive to buy.

Great idea! I'll see what they have. I love being able to be fickle without commitment.

lora410
February 23rd, 2009, 09:46 AM
Ehh I made the same mistake. I made them way to short and they are now down to my eyebrows. It helps I part my hair off to the side; including bangs.

Feye
February 23rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
I cut a small side swept bangs/fringe a while ago also and it didn't look as good as I thought. Now I have changed to a deep side-part which partially covers my forehead, and that gives the illusion of bangs even if they are tucked behind the ear. I'll try to maintain this style even with one length hair and updos.

When I have tried to make it look better by cutting the fringe thicker I haven't been too happy either, so please be careful before taking the next step :)

Daoine Sidhe
February 23rd, 2009, 10:04 AM

Oh my MadPirateBippy, that's a great idea! In 2 weeks I was planning to get a fringe, but I'll google for fake ones first. You're awesome :)

CindyLea1
February 23rd, 2009, 10:12 AM
I'm sorry you hate them. I feel I need bangs/fringe to cover my wide forehead some.

If I want to wear them slicked back into an updo, I do the updo when my hair is wet. If My hair is not already wet, I spray just my bangs and sides with just plain old water, and slick them back. A couple of bobbypinsat the ends of the hairs, and just a tiny bit of mouse, or one or two sprays of hairspray and they stay.

If you are not using product on your hair, I hear tell aloe, or oils work well for taming strays.

Maybe you could take some pictures? We are usually our own worse critic. I bet they are lovely. I do like to have the front part of my hair NOT slicked back into updo's. But to each their own.