View Full Version : Sock bun help for APL

karisaf
February 18th, 2009, 09:26 AM
So, I've checked out the sock bun tutorial, but what do you do with your ends if your hair isn't long enough to do a braid to wrap around? Mine is APL.

Samikha
February 18th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I did several smaller braids and wrapped those around, then secured with claw clips :)

karisaf
February 18th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I should add that I have layers, so some pieces are pretty short.

Suldrun
February 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hi. I used sock buns at APL and I would twist a little peice and add more twisting as I pinned it against the bun. I had layers growing out too so it was a bit messy but I thought it looked cute. There is a tutorial somewhere with a video of someone doing just that but I have not been here in so long I cant remember whos it was or where to find it :(. Try youtube.

Good luck.

Sul

Kerynna
February 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
You could use some gel and smooth the ends under the sock and maybe use hair spray. Or use a hair net over the bun and pin it in place over the sock roll.

RavennaNight
February 18th, 2009, 09:59 AM
I'd just work my way around and pin the ends under with bobby pins.

squiggyflop
February 18th, 2009, 10:00 AM
hmm when i was shoulder length i just used a big beaded velvet scrunchy to cover the ends.. perhaps a scarf tied around?
i dont actually remember being apl because i went from shoulder to bsl in 2 months.. so i was probably only apl for 2 weeks.. so sorry if im not much help

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 10:27 AM
tuck the ends as best you can and wrap a long rectangular scarf around the base, making sure that the first go-round you sorta spread the scarf, so that it holds all the ends.

That's probably the best way to cover all the weird sticky outy bits left from layers (not APL, but had the issue with layers for ages)

viking_quest
February 18th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I just try to twist tiny pieces and pin them underneath and if I'm too lazy or they fall out then I separate the extra into two larger pieces and just pin them to the sides of my bun.

YogaGirl59
February 19th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have the same problem, not enough hair to wrap around the sock bun. I usually put a scrunchie around the base and tuck the pieces in. My hair is black, so a black scrunchie does not show.

Although I put my hair in a sock bun a couple of days ago and DH said I looked like a librarian or a school marm. Who uses the term "school marm" anymore??

Elphie
February 19th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I use a scarf around the base as well. It hides a multitude of sins!

manderly
February 19th, 2009, 08:10 PM
All I ever did was grab the ends and twist them around the bun, snugging them into the crevice. They held on their own.

I would normally cover it with something decorative like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1214.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1189.jpg

Or I would leave it and stick a pin/hairstick in it like this:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/astrauser/CIMG1172.jpg

Looking at photos in the same timeframe I appear to be a little past shoulder, creeping up on APL at the time.

Anje
February 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
hmm when i was shoulder length i just used a big beaded velvet scrunchy to cover the ends.. perhaps a scarf tied around?
i dont actually remember being apl because i went from shoulder to bsl in 2 months.. so i was probably only apl for 2 weeks.. so sorry if im not much help

[slight hijack]You know, Squiggy, I'm still not convinced that you're more that 2 feet tall.... [/hijack]

squiggyflop
February 21st, 2009, 08:26 PM
[slight hijack]You know, Squiggy, I'm still not convinced that you're more that 2 feet tall.... [/hijack]
[hijack] hehe:spitting:.lol. nope im 5'6" but i do have a shortish torso.. plus i was taking lots of vitamins during those 2 months.. on my regular poor diet i grow slightly faster than most but when i get proper nutrition (only on vitamins do i get this) i end up with 2-3 inches a month and max out my genetic limit on speed (which is as you see faster than most people).. i dont take them anymore.. they went from 6$ a month to now 16$ (way too much money).. so now im only slightly faster than usual.. but no im not 2 feet tall.. or am i.. :laugh:;)

on topic.. im remembering that i also used a fat ribbon to cover my pinned down ends when i got to bsl.. (i hadnt learned how to pin them neatly yet so they needed hiding) it would probably work for apl