PDA

View Full Version : Is getting my hair wet damaging it?

Naava
February 18th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I already feel a little stupid about asking this. Feels like it's something I should already know for a fact...

Anyway, my question it: Is getting my hair wet harmfull? I'm asking this because even though I do not use shampoo more than 2-3 times per a week, I still shower and get my hair wet almost every day (and use conditioner). Now I have just been thinking if I should start using a shower cap or something when taking my daily shower.

Wouter
February 18th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Well they say that hair is at it's weakest when it's wet, but i guess as long as you take good care of it and do not brush violently it's ok.
It could however, certainly if you have hard water, leave an amount of minerals on your hair. So it might be wise to clarify once in a while

Forest
February 18th, 2009, 05:33 AM
As far as I know it is not damaging to get your hair wet. Those times that you use conditioner you are also adding moisture which I guess is good. I don't think you need a shower cap unless you want to.

For some people it might be that their scalp does not like to get wet to often because the skin gets dry, but the hair should be just fine.

MemSahib
February 18th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Probably not. But it really depends upon how you handle it when it's wet. Go gently, gently.

CestMadeleine
February 18th, 2009, 05:38 AM
The hair does become weaker while wet so don't be too rough with it. I have baby fine hair so getting it wet makes it even weaker, but my scalp loves water so I wet it everyday. I just use a lot of conditioner :)

Naava
February 18th, 2009, 05:53 AM
I'm always really gentle to my hair when it's wet, so I'm not worried about that :) What I was thinking was if getting my hair wet can dry it out the same like it does to skin?

Fencai
February 18th, 2009, 06:32 AM
some times when my baby hairs get too "fuzzy" around my face, I'll just wet my hair in the shower, or do a CO just to tame them a bit, and then I make sure to oil the ends and just put it up for that day.
Just be gentle with it while its wet, and you should be fine!

Aditi
February 18th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I use a shower cap for my hair as i have dry hair and i know getting them wet everyday will rip away moisture and ph balance of my scalp.

scalawaggirl
February 18th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I definitely think that how you treat it when wet is the key - the gentler, the better. Secondarily, your water (hard/soft) could be a factor but only in extreme cases (as in high mineral content, etc.).

Being a wavy, I have to wet my hair either by CO washing or misting to fix any bed head. My hair is very soft from recent changes to my routine but I've never seen any ill effects from wetting my hair.

may1em
February 18th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I do a messy bun and face into the shower instead of away from it. That way I can bathe without getting my head too wet. I hate shower caps. Nothing like the sound of pinging water to wreck the relaxing aspect away from a shower!

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 10:57 AM
My hair got a lot better when I started using a shower head with a chlorine filter in it. If you don't have hard water in your area or have to deal with chlorine, I'd say no. If you like getting your hair wet and have chlorinated water, the filters aren't that expensive.

Honey39
February 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I think it depends on your hair type, to be honest. Since I've come here, I've realised that my hair really really thrives on being wet every day, so long as I use loads of conditioner and leave-in conditioner. My hair has never been in such soft, moisturised condition. But I comb while wet, and then scrunch into curls and leave it alone, so it doesn't get handled more, and it doesn't get brushed etc. Mind you, my hair is pretty curly and mid-back, so definitely not one of the beautiful super-longs!!