PDA

View Full Version : Fixing damage?

Neon Gloss
March 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
Is it possible?

I noticed that my hair has been falling out A LOT since I stopped blowdrying/straightening (1 month ago). Just once, I gently ran my thumb and index finger down my length and took 20 (eek) loose hairs with me (sundays are boring for me). Half of those hairs are EXTREMELY damaged from straightening/blowdrying for literally all my life (I still straighten my bangs until they're long enough to put back).

I'm a brunette, but sometimes white scraggly hairs fall out that don't even feel like my own hair. And trust me, they are scraggly and VERRRY fine, and my hair is not fine. Damage and/or stress, perhaps? :lol: Most other hairs have visible bumps/indents on them--you can feel them, too. My hair can also have some really unhealthy bends, which are sometimes prone to breaking off. The split ends are minimal nowadays, thankfully enough. You see, I'm just guessing that this is almost all heat damage. I was always nice to my hair otherwise.

Is there anything I can put in my hair to say sorry, or do I have to wait until more hair grows until it is almost totally damage-free?

rubyann
March 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Well, from what I've read, there isn't any way to repair the damaged hair.

But.....some people have had success with containing the damage with henna or cassia. I'd go look for the henna thread, I'm sure they've started it back up again.

Also, 'cones mask the damage by coating the hair shaft. Going cone free can make the damage more apparent.

Some people choose to cut off the damage and regrow from a healthy start. I can't see doing that myself, as my hair is still pretty short in my eyes and it's not that damaged.

Have you tried using oil on the ends? Or SMT? Both can help. I think you can soothe the damaged hair, not repair it completely. HTH.

Gothic Lolita
March 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM
I'd suggest too, to moisture your hair haevily. I don't believe that any damageon hair can be fixed, but after henna glossing my hair, it seems healthier. Maybe regular cassia treatments are an good option for you, just like rubyann said.

ChloeDharma
March 30th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I have to agree with the other 2 posters in that damaged hair can't be actually fixed.

It can be improved though. Heat styling is known for causing dryness, so i'd make moisturising treatments the first step. Daily misting, SMT's or similar.....aloe gel as a leave in. I also am a big fan of oils.....especially coconut oil. My hair was chemically damaged (well, part of it still is) and leaving it soaking in coconut oil most of the time, plus twice weekly moisturising DT's, misting, not using shampoo at all and regular henna turned it from dull pube-like ratty frizz to looking actually quite nice and even silky at times. But it did take months of consistent care to improve.

Neon Gloss
March 30th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Well, from what I've read, there isn't any way to repair the damaged hair.

But.....some people have had success with containing the damage with henna or cassia. I'd go look for the henna thread, I'm sure they've started it back up again.

Also, 'cones mask the damage by coating the hair shaft. Going cone free can make the damage more apparent.

Some people choose to cut off the damage and regrow from a healthy start. I can't see doing that myself, as my hair is still pretty short in my eyes and it's not that damaged.

Have you tried using oil on the ends? Or SMT? Both can help. I think you can soothe the damaged hair, not repair it completely. HTH.

It was when I started going cone-free that I realized how damaged my hair really is. It's a shame. I want my hair to look healthy, cones or not. I've seen the henna thread before, but never really read into it. I'll check it out asap. I used some olive oil on my ends a few years back after a wash. Um. Oops. I should've put it in beforehand. :o I'll just try some different oils, SMT, and whatnot. Anywho, thanks for all your help!

I'd suggest too, to moisture your hair haevily. I don't believe that any damageon hair can be fixed, but after henna glossing my hair, it seems healthier. Maybe regular cassia treatments are an good option for you, just like rubyann said.

Henna glossing... I never knew that there was such a thing. I'd always thought that henna was hair dye and nothing more. My stepmom always told me that henna was not good for you AT ALL, so I never touched it. Then again, she thinks that junk food is good for you. Either way, I'll try out this henna/cassia thing. Thank you.

...from dull pube-like ratty frizz to looking actually quite nice and even silky at times.

:laugh: Hah, that's exactly how mine is now! Thanks for the advice =)

ChloeDharma
March 30th, 2008, 10:35 AM
I just thought, another thing you might like to try is a yogurt based DT......i find when i get around to doing them they leave my hair unbelievably shiney and smoother. I use natural full fat yogurt, here's some info on it's use as a hair treatment....

http://www.freshpatents.com/Nutritive-restorative-yogurt-based-probiotic-hair-care-composition-dt20051117ptan20050255070.php

young&reckless
April 3rd, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have one big suggestion.

Wen by Chaz Dean

It saved my hair which I dyed, bleached and permed. Although nothing can fix hair this, or these saved me, just check my sig from shoulder down has had all sorts of nasty thing done to it.

Not everything works for everyone but this saved me form having to cut after two perms.

It is not cheap thought, I suggest buying it on QVC in larger sizes. I used it for two years at about $300 a year ($28 per bottle, between 12 and 16 bottles a year or one per month)

akurah
April 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Henna glossing... I never knew that there was such a thing. I'd always thought that henna was hair dye and nothing more. My stepmom always told me that henna was not good for you AT ALL, so I never touched it. Then again, she thinks that junk food is good for you. Either way, I'll try out this henna/cassia thing. Thank you.

A henna gloss will still deposit color on your hair, fwiw.

wintersun99
April 3rd, 2008, 11:44 AM

LuXious
April 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
A henna gloss will still deposit color on your hair, fwiw.

You can always hendigo! Half indigo, half henna with lots of amla and some salt, left on for 1 to 1.5 hours. The gel method is the easiest to apply. Check out www.hennaforhair.com for more info and detailed instructions. You can brighten or deepen your brunette shade while repairing your hair to a certain degree. I was definitely able to keep more of mine after henna'ing. Now I hendigo and LOVE it. It's so healthy.

rx queen.
April 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I have one big suggestion.

Wen by Chaz Dean

ooh, i just saw an infomercial for this the other day....it was calling to me ;)

it's really that great, huh??

hmmm.

Silver & Gold
April 3rd, 2008, 04:36 PM
My hair took a beating in December when i had highlights put in my hair. The beautician fried me.

What has helped me is cassia and then lots of moisture. Last week I did a cassia, while it gives strength it is also quite drying, especially if you have damage. But last night I first lightly misted, then I used pure aloe gel (the kind that is meant to be ingested so it is pure) and coated my slightly damp hair with the aloe. I smeared and combed, smeared and combed more and then topped the whole thing off with jojoba oil. I then braided my hair and slept on it.

In them morning I soaked my hair in the tub and then CO'd to remove any residual and my hair is so shiny, smooth and glossy I can't believe it.

Your hair sounds like it's more damaged than mine but I still think you might want to try something like this.

Riot Crrl
April 3rd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Just my opinion: I don't think Wen is any different than CO washing, except it costs more, lol. I have seen the infomercial a couple of times, and I always think, "Yes, yes and yes! That is all true! Except people can do it with Vo5 or White Rain and not order this $50 product!" LOL

I think it is hilarious that the celeb guests are just CO and have no idea.

I totally agree that when I was using cones and clarified the length of my hair, it alarmed me how gross it felt. At the time I believed that the shampoo was just too harsh to use over my length, but now I believe that it had been masked by cones and what I was feeling was the true condition of my hair underneath. At most it was a combination of the two together, but I definitely think the cones played a role in fooling me into submission.

(Disclaimer, I'm not saying I don't think cones can feature in good care at all, if you like them. I just think it's not good to let them build up for YEARS and never get them off, the way I had been doing.)

Firefly
April 3rd, 2008, 05:00 PM
The first time time I was growing out my hair (many years ago) it too was very damaged. I found the best things were the simplest: misting and damp bunning. My hair was not crazy about oils-- I have to be very careful not to overdo or it gets crispy feeling-- but a little oil and/or conditioner in a spray bottle for misting worked like a charm.

The great thing about damp bunning is also that, with my hair up most of the time, I forgot about it, and it seemed to get longer and healthier much faster!

Good luck to you and HTH,