PDA

View Full Version : In Between Stages Support...

howsitgrowin'87
February 17th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hey all!

So today was a pretty frustrating day with my hair. It's been so unruly and unmanageable lately, and I guess that is because it's in the awkward In Between stage of shoulderish and APL. It's hard to not want to blast it with the blowfryer to just get it to behave a bit better. I found another thread though that said that once hair gets to about BSL it can become much easier to manage.

Is this true from anyone's experience?

I'm so much more patient with my hair now than in the past and I've realized my hair usually gets to about the length it's at now and then I chop it back to short, only to be even more frustrated. I am so glad that LHC is here to help encourage me to keep growing!

Thanks LHC :)

Naava
February 17th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I know your pain :) Before now I always ended up cutting my hair in the stage that you are in now, it's so fustrating and seems to last forever. But it really gets easier after that! I'm just now reaching the BSL and I feel like my hair really looks much better and doesn't need to be styled as much as before.

Of course I'm still not entirely happy with my hair, it's hard since there are so many people with amazingly long and thick hair in here :)

Heavenly Locks
February 17th, 2009, 10:26 PM
It's true, once you get to BSL or even APL the weight of the hair can really help with some of the bizarre things shorter hair can do.

When mine was the length that yours is at now, and it was having one of 'those' days...I would do a half up, some double pony tail nubs, or something else that looked cuter than down and crazy ;) You could always work on your hat collection! :p

SimplyLonghair
February 17th, 2009, 10:28 PM
You will find many stages in your hair growth journey have frustrations. You need to find a style that you are happy with at each of these stages that will carry you through these frustrating times. For me, I relied on hair combs and barrettes to confine my hair into some semblance of order. I looked through photos and styles and came up with something that will work. Just keep working on it and it will grow through the awkward stages. :D

Masara
February 18th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I see we have more or less the same hair type. I actually found this stage easier than the chin to shoulders stage. Mainly because I could get all of it up in a bun or a French braid and that's what I did with it every day. True the shoulder to APL stage was pretty shapeless (it looked "grown ou" instead of long) but I made sur I was the only person seeing it. Doing updos and trying new ones from here kept me sane. (Even if I couldn't do many of the updos here, I could see what "another inch" would do and it gave me hope)

arabidbutterfly
February 18th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I only wish I had as much hair as you do!

Katze
February 18th, 2009, 04:41 AM
We have similar hair, and mine started 'flipping out' at that length as the waves came in, going into what I called the 'First Lady Hairdo.' No fun. I relied a LOT on little barettes, pincurls at the front, headbands, ponytail stubs, then braid stubs. One advantage of fine hair is that you can compress it easier and do some updos faster. You might also try little braids, or play with different bang/front styles.

The worse 'no mans land' for me was right around shoulder. Too short to put behind my back, too long to let hang. Then, I did a lot of French braids.

Whatever you do remember it will grow and don't get tempted to cut again just because you have an awkward couple of months.! :)

DelynofRhondda
February 18th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Oh, I can understand your frustration. One of the styles I used at the nape/collar length (and longer like yours) was a Double French Twist. Literally two French Twists, rolled into the center of the head secured with a large barrette crosswise and a few pins inside the twists. Sometimes I'd pin each twist securely and tuck a decorative hair stick into the seam between the two twists.

I'll echo the suggestions for French Plaits/Braids, too! They look very "pulled together tho informal" compared to French Twists. And, side combs-- they can be used to create a cute pony-fall.

Oh!!! Snoods. They are a great way to get to "show a little length". If you crochette you can make one (or more) using spindle floss in a fine guage.

(can you tell I've had my hair at in-between lengths numerous times :eyebrows: )

Pixna
February 18th, 2009, 06:04 AM
Hang in there!!! I've been super-short, long, and in-between. Right now I am growing back from a very short pixie cut (I'm currently at chin length). I can assure you that once your hair gets longer, it will be a LOT easier to manage. I can't wait to get to that point myself -- though I'd be thrilled to even be at the length you are now.