PDA

View Full Version : Winter is hard on my hair!

YogaGirl59
February 17th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Since joining LHC 4 months ago I have really been paying attention to my hair and trying to take excellent care and be very gentle with it. This winter weather is driving me crazy though!

I have curly hair, so it tends to be dry and will frizz if I'm not careful. I pull a sweater over my head and bam! Static and frizz! I go outside and the wind starts whipping my hair around turning my nice curls into a messy mass of frizz. If I wear a hat or scarf I get frizz too. I will usually just pull the hood of my coat over my head.

I've been using Coconut oil at night and CWC with SLS and cone-free shampoo and conditioner. I'm right at the point where I would normally cut my hair, but I'm hanging on just dreaming about waist-length hair.

Does this happen to anyone else in the winter?

Heavenly Locks
February 17th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I am not a curly but winter really does bite! :) My hair is getting really dry and staticy too. Here it is very windy and I just want to but a bag over my head when I go outside!

How do you feel about wearing it up with a stick or something? When I am having dry/static days I just put it back to forget about it and keep it out of the wind.

RancheroTheBee
February 17th, 2009, 10:00 PM
I feel your pain. I look like a Brillo pad at the moment, despite religious moisturizing and generally staying inside. Bring on spring!

Jessikinz
February 17th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Winter is very harsh on my hair. It gets extremely cold and the air is dry. What works for me is to just keep moisturizing. Moisturize, moisturize! Also, have you tried doing deep conditioning treatments? I highly recommend this, I've done quite a few since winter started, and wow my hair has never been in such good condition.

Linda K
February 17th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Ditto on the cap, hood, puttin' on the sweaters! Ugh!:(
We have had a few nicer days (spring thaw) so the furnace hasn't been running quite as much - or the Carols Daughter Tui Hair Smoothie helped a lot! :shrug: Might try to do another treatment (aimed for 30 min - ended being 1.5 hour!) in the next day or so. Then we'll see what happens when we go back into the deep freeze end of the week!

I've been trying to figure out how to put my hair up to prevent some of these same things - and not freeze to death! I seldom put it up on a balmy summer day let alone now!

rosie91
February 18th, 2009, 02:03 AM
my hair hates winter too. it gets greasy more often, looks dull, goes static and generally hates me!

Aditi
February 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
I can very well understand you pain dear, as i am also going through it right now. I apply lots and lots of oil to avoid my hair getting much drier and static and always braid them so they look more manageable.

YogaGirl59
February 18th, 2009, 06:04 AM
I've done a couple of hot jojoba oil treatments, but not a deep conditioning treatment. What do you recommend for this?

Curlsgirl
February 18th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I do overnight oil treatments with olive oil for really bad times and/or with heat during the day if I can. Also, I use a good deep conditioner like Biolage Conditioning balm moisture therappe combed through wet hair and in a heat cap for as long as I can leave it. I also use moisturizing leave-ins always and usually some oil on it while it is still damp (coconut) especially over the canopy and on the ends. I also wear it up if it is going to be windy (like this time of year) while I am outside if it is not going to be covered and if updos make my scalp sore which is a lot I wear it braided. All of these things get me through winter. Take heart spring is around the corner!!!

Finoriel
February 18th, 2009, 07:03 AM
"Winter is hard on my hair" :wink: Thatīs exactly what I thought when my braid froze to a big icicle the last time I went out with a wet braid.
Usually I enjoy winter, but sometimes it can be really annoying.

Linda K
February 18th, 2009, 08:40 AM
"Winter is hard on my hair" :wink: Thatīs exactly what I thought when my braid froze to a big icicle the last time I went out with a wet braid.
Usually I enjoy winter, but sometimes it can be really annoying.

OMGosh! I thought you were going to say it 'broke'!
All things considered, I think it's time to skip on over to Ebay to hunt up a heat cap. Years back a friend loaned hers to me a couple times. I didn't know what a gold mine I was using!:D

Rohele
February 18th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Winter is driving me nuts too. I've noticed very dry ends on myself lately. Jojoba oil on my ends before I go out, plus regular heavy oilings prior to washing have helped a lot with dryness and frizz.

Putting it up helps too, but its often too cold for me to wear it up (I can't fit updos (let alone hair toys) under a touque, or any other kind of hat for that matter). I'm anxiously awaiting spring.

deko
February 18th, 2009, 09:49 AM
My hair hares winter. Now it's -20c and freezing, and I go to work by bike. Hrrr... Hair is flat from roots and really really dry on the ends althou I try oil the ends. If I braid my hair it looks frizzy in 5 minutes, bun doesn't fit under my hat. Nothing helps, I'm also waiting for the spring :rolleyes:

Finoriel
February 18th, 2009, 10:30 AM
OMGosh! I thought you were going to say it 'broke'!
:lol: No it didnīt break, but it was stiff as a poker, that day I almost attach-froze to our door knob too.

YogaGirl59
February 18th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Hey, someone mentioned a Heat Cap. I just checked Sally's Beauty Supply online and found they have them for $29.99. I think I may get one tomorrow. Oh, and some heat activated conditioning treatment too.

.Amanaka.
February 19th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Winter sucks for hair. Period. It makes my dry, greasy, staticy, and just...blah. So I beat it into submission with more WO washes, leave in conditioners, lots of conditioner, oil... basically whatever moisture I can shove at it I do.

Linda K
February 19th, 2009, 01:42 AM
Hey, someone mentioned a Heat Cap. I just checked Sally's Beauty Supply online and found they have them for $29.99. I think I may get one tomorrow. Oh, and some heat activated conditioning treatment too.

Yes! I saw that too! Ebay has a little better price but I'm in a hurry - by the time the echeck clears, I'll have a chance to get to Sally's first - nevermind the snail mail :p

I did a deep treatment today. It actually looks worse - could a 3 day flu - lower fluid intake do that this quick?:confused:

My hair hares winter. Now it's -20c and freezing, and I go to work by bike. Hrrr... Hair is flat from roots and really really dry on the ends althou I try oil the ends. If I braid my hair it looks frizzy in 5 minutes, bun doesn't fit under my hat. Nothing helps, I'm also waiting for the spring :rolleyes:

Bike - Winter??? It does not compute, repeat,repeat, it does not compute! And I whined about getting into a less than toasty vehicle (gasp - I knew I was spoiled - just not how badly - DS likes to get it out and warming for his 'old' mom). I'm not up on the Fahrenheit equivalence - anything under 70 is cold to me! We are dipping below zero again tonight. Just 6 more weeks, just 6 more weeks, just 6 more weeks! :D

going gray
February 19th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Oh hang in there, we all have in the same problem, don't cut your hair.

deko
February 19th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Bike - Winter??? It does not compute, repeat,repeat, it does not compute! And I whined about getting into a less than toasty vehicle (gasp - I knew I was spoiled - just not how badly - DS likes to get it out and warming for his 'old' mom). I'm not up on the Fahrenheit equivalence - anything under 70 is cold to me! We are dipping below zero again tonight. Just 6 more weeks, just 6 more weeks, just 6 more weeks! :D

-20C is about -4F, not so bad. Cycling is kind of fun, and it's a lot quicker way to get around than walking. I don't own a car. I looked like a snowman when I got to work yesterday :D. You get used to the cold, hair doesn't.