PDA

View Full Version : Bow Hairstyle

tiny_teesha
February 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
http://www.healthandbeauty.net.au/2008-04/

This link has a few amazing hair dos! I especially love this one:
http://www.healthandbeauty.net.au/images/wedding-hairstyle-ponytail.jpg
It doesn't seem too hard.

This would work on BSL or longer hair i think. If the fall is to short it will slip out or not reach. Alterations could be made, the fall could be made into pin curl type things. If hair is too long the ribbon might have a really long tail, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc139/tiny_teesha/My%20Hair/hair%202/puffybow.jpg
link for my photo album photo of it (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=455&pictureid=32197) if you want to comment on it :)
I obviously have more taper then the model so it is less impressive, but I'm at BSL and i wouldn't try it on shorter hair, unless you modify it a bit. My bow is thin from taper, and i didn't have any cute embellishment style clips! Sorry! :) Still fun to figure out though!

How To:
1 - Make 2 pony tails. One containing all the hair ears up, tie that one around the crown area, and the second with remaining hair- leave it loose or tie up, loose is probably better.
2 - Tip head upside down so the top pony tail falls up and over your head. Pin it above the elastic; this will hide it and add omph. It might help to clip the bottom section out of the way so you don't include any of that hair in the pins. You will need quite a few pins to do this.
3 - Stand upright once secured and let it fall. A mirror becomes helpful here. Arrange it so there is no gaping hole and pin if necessary to keep it in place. Sorry, but thicker hair makes this work better, you could stuff in a hair rat under the fall near the head if you like. Secure the hair rat with bobby pins and secure the hair over it to hide it. This will add more volume and bulk to the style if you aren't naturally well endowed with thick hair.
4 - Now, grab the bottom section and split it in 2 down the centre of your scalp. There are a few ways to do this; leaving the hair loose or make it into a pony tail ( i don't like the later, too bulky). I like it best if the sides are crossed under the "fall", then cross them again over the "fall" for the first knot and then pin it without knotting it, or knot (as you would the first knot in a shoe lace) and pin for more security (if you cross tightly the top fall will be more narrow at the bottom, if you cross loosely it will be more fanned out at the bottom).
5 - Now depending on how big/long you want your loops, my hair is thin so it looks like a thin ribbon as opposed to the nice thick bands in the photo in the link. Just loop and pin, or actually tie a proper bow like you would a shoe lace and bobby pin it to secure. You can add an embellishment here if you like. It also helps to hide the mass of bobby pins underneath it! :tongue:
6 - Alternatively you don't have to tie this bow on top of the "fall". You could simply roll the end of the fall and tuck it under and pin. But the bow would just sit beneath it with no real purpose but it still looks ok, this is good for shorter hair.

*** Some aloe vera in a mister, for us hair lovers who don't want to use hairspray, can help to secure the style and keep it neat. It might be needed especially in the bow part.

What do you guys think?

Please let me know if i need to add, change or make the instructions clearer.

invisiblebabe
February 17th, 2009, 09:06 PM
The bow hairstyle is lovely :)

sahiba
February 17th, 2009, 09:47 PM
It does look extremely gorgeous and I'm sure you'll do a good job too. :) Best of luck and remember the picture .

Heavenly Locks
February 17th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I really like the bow :) It would be a neat chance to show off a really special accessory. I would personally like it better I think, if the poof wasn't so large. I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

LittleOrca
February 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
If you get it done, give us instructions! :D

tiny_teesha
February 18th, 2009, 01:41 AM
I DID IT!
But my camera batteries died!

It didn't turn out too well...i have a shortage of bobby pins, i need more. I'l get some on the weekend.

I lacked a pretty hair broche thing, so I just had my hair bow.
My hair is too thin for it, but how i wrote to do it above is how it did it, fairly easy i'm surprised! :)

You need at least BSL length to do it, and longer would look better, because there would be more of a tail below it.

Actually i think Emichiee has a style "medieval" one that has the bow on top which is similar to this one! I'll put up pictures tomorrow i'm charging the batteries now as we speak!

LittleOrca
February 18th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Woo! Can't wait to see it!

Heavenly Locks
February 18th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Woo! Can't wait to see it!

Me too :) :disco:

tiny_teesha
February 18th, 2009, 02:37 AM
It's not that great with my hair. But you guys can try it out, i'll edit the instructions in the first post to be more clear, if anyone can put up a picture before me that would be great. :)

Aditi
February 18th, 2009, 03:12 AM
I cant wait to see the pictures and for instructions.

Fencai
February 18th, 2009, 06:37 AM
that's totally cooL!!!!
I cant wait to try it!
Do you think that one of those "puffy pony" thingies would help the volume in the upper ponytail?

tiny_teesha
February 18th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I have no idea what a puffy pony is, but if it is anything like a hair rat, probably.
I tried the style again. I'm loading photos as i speak.
Sorry, but my hair is just not cut out for this with the small amount of bobby pins i have left!!
My hair kept gaping so i apologise. I've changed the instructions and i'll have the photo up within the next hour, it's taking for ever to load there were 600 photos and a few videos :P.

eta- photo added :) Enjoy it's all done!

Fairlight63
February 18th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Like the hairstyle. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

winter_star
February 19th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I love this hairstyle. Good job Tiny_Teesha, I like the way you have done it, a bit more relaxed and everyday.

Katze
February 19th, 2009, 03:48 AM
Teesha, that's wonderful! If you can do something like this, maybe I can, too...(looking for wedding hairdo ideas...)?

How did you stop your hair from "gaping" or getting "scalp cleavage"? We have similar issues with taper, and in this pic it is nowhere to be seen. This gives me hope!

Lovely!

Katze

tiny_teesha
February 20th, 2009, 02:25 AM
Me? No, i stumbled across hair do's and while it is a wedding hair do i ain't hooking up just yet now!!! :)
pins...haha. Basically there is some cleavage where the top and bottom half are separated...but i guess if you do it a bit loose the hair covers it. Then you just pin it up, trust me the other side wasn't so neat, and you could see through the "poufy" part. haha. But if i had enough pins or a hair rat, or more hair (extensions) then there wouldn't be gaping- OR you can just pin it closer, instead of making it really wide to close any gaps. You need LOTS of pins i can't stress enough!

Thanks guys :)