PDA

View Full Version : Questions about coconut oil and clarifying

melrose1985
February 17th, 2009, 07:55 PM
So I'm on a natural routine, i don't use any cones. I wash (roots only) and condition my hair about 4-5 times a week, basically when needed. And on those days i always follow up with coconut oil and let it air dry. I use suave naturals coconut for both.

So my question is if i wanted to do a heavy oiling (from ears down) should my shampoo be enought to get the oil out or will i need to clarify?

Thanks!

RancheroTheBee
February 17th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I find that if I do a heavy oiling and then clarify, I get a lot of poofiness. Usually, it works best if you just rinse really well afterwards.

Elphie
February 17th, 2009, 08:20 PM
Try using the conditioner the way you would use a shampoo. I find that it's easier to remove oils that way. I haven't had a problem removing oils using the same exact products that you are using.

Carolyn
February 17th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I CO wash most of the time and I find that my CO conditioner will get all the oil out. No shampoo at all :)

melrose1985
February 18th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks. I will be trying this tonight as tomorrow is my wash day.

Anje
February 18th, 2009, 07:22 AM
The usual consensus is that CO gets oil out better than shampoo.

Definitely no need to clarify.

logica_divina
February 18th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Yup, I gotta say that as well. No shampoo will ever beat a nice cone-free condish when it comes to getting the oil out. It took me some time to figure that out, but now my hair is thanking me. I LOVE CO!

Aditi
February 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM
The usual consensus is that CO gets oil out better than shampoo.

Definitely no need to clarify.
Can you explain me the logic of this theory please. Thanks and waiting for your reply.

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Well after trying this, it's not for me! I ended up having to clarify to get it all out. I will stick to a little after the shower for now on.

MadPirateBippy
February 23rd, 2009, 12:10 PM
Can you explain me the logic of this theory please. Thanks and waiting for your reply.

Clarifying generally helps get stuck-to-your-hair gunk out of your hair, like cones, or minerals that might be in your water that make your hair all crispy. Some people on here have had crunchy, destroyed hair after visiting natural hot springs that was saved after a good clarifying wash- what made their hair crunchy was mineral deposits on their hair.

Kind of think of it like a pan in the kitchen. If you burn something, or if it's just naturally sticky (like eggs) you might need to scrub to get it off. You can't really scrub your hair but a clarifying wash will do the trick. You don't clarify all the time just like you don't scrub your pots really hard all the time- it's REALLY harsh on your hair! Imagine how long a teflon pot would last if you scrubbed it harshly, if it needed it or not. Hair is more fragile and needs gentler care than metal pans!

There are things that can get stuck to your hair like the burned eggs on the pan in my analogie- the most common culprits are cones and minerals, though sometimes you can get protein hair treatments gone bad, or something else a little random.

Oil isn't really stuck to your hair- what I love doing is putting a cheap conditioner on the length, putting a plastic cap over my hair, and then shaving my legs. By the time I'm done the conditioner has gently gotten rid of any extra oil AND deep conditioned my hair. Double win! It works better than shampoo, and it's gentler.

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 12:43 PM
Clarifying generally helps get stuck-to-your-hair gunk out of your hair, like cones, or minerals that might be in your water that make your hair all crispy. Some people on here have had crunchy, destroyed hair after visiting natural hot springs that was saved after a good clarifying wash- what made their hair crunchy was mineral deposits on their hair.

Kind of think of it like a pan in the kitchen. If you burn something, or if it's just naturally sticky (like eggs) you might need to scrub to get it off. You can't really scrub your hair but a clarifying wash will do the trick. You don't clarify all the time just like you don't scrub your pots really hard all the time- it's REALLY harsh on your hair! Imagine how long a teflon pot would last if you scrubbed it harshly, if it needed it or not. Hair is more fragile and needs gentler care than metal pans!

There are things that can get stuck to your hair like the burned eggs on the pan in my analogie- the most common culprits are cones and minerals, though sometimes you can get protein hair treatments gone bad, or something else a little random.

Oil isn't really stuck to your hair- what I love doing is putting a cheap conditioner on the length, putting a plastic cap over my hair, and then shaving my legs. By the time I'm done the conditioner has gently gotten rid of any extra oil AND deep conditioned my hair. Double win! It works better than shampoo, and it's gentler.

Maybe i didnt leave the condish on long enough... But i did the treament on wed. night. Thrus shampooed the roots condish from ears down (only part that i put the oil on) and it seemed fuzzy and poofy. Friday morning it looked gross, and after work i worked out so when home and did my wash/condish again. And still looked gross and greasy. I think it was to much for my hair.

neon-dream
February 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
I always rinse oils out with a conditioner, it seems to work though I'm not sure why! haha

melrose1985
February 23rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
is it possible i put to much oil in?