PDA

View Full Version : How to Comb Hair

AveSantaMaria
February 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I am so worried that I am breaking my hair much more than necessary when I comb it. :( I currently comb my hair when it is dry. If I do this extremely slowly, it can take a whole day but seems fine/perfect in terms of loss. Yesterday I didn't have the time for this time-consuming detangling so I very quickly detangled when dry with a steel k-cutter comb that easily and quickly cut through my hair. Yet, I had significant breakage, and I'm worried that I might lose a lot of hair through unwanted trimming. I would comb when wet but my hair is definitely weaker in the shower, and I can't see how much hair I am losing in the shower so I do not know if this is damaging or not. I suspect it is but really don't know. :poot:

Please may someone help me learn what to do. Is there someting that I am missing or ignoring accidentally? Do I use the wrong comb? Should I be combing wet or dry to get to a thick bsl, wl, or longer? Are my expectations set too high? :o K-Cutter Comb (http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/ebonyline51_2041_24227638)

SimplyLonghair
February 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
It would help others to give you advise if we knew what your hair type is.

I never do my hair wet but I have wavy hair, that I mainly wait until it is dry to do anything too it. If I oil it, I do that when it is still wet and then detangle using my fingers mostly. Otherwise I leave it until dry and then detangle but I try to touch it as little as possible to keep the wavy until it "sets"

AveSantaMaria
February 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
It would help others to give you advise if we knew what your hair type is.

I never do my hair wet but I have wavy hair, that I mainly wait until it is dry to do anything too it. If I oil it, I do that when it is still wet and then detangle using my fingers mostly. Otherwise I leave it until dry and then detangle but I try to touch it as little as possible to keep the wavy until it "sets"

My hair type is a type 4b. However, it grows quickly, and I have been confused for a type 3 before. Most definitely a type 4 though!

Most major characteristic: Very very extremely fine. Looks like black wool. :poot:

logica_divina
February 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Uh, that comb looks like a cold weapon :D kidding. Personally, I detangle my hair usually when it's completely dry. But sometimes, when I have enough tome on my hand, I'd do it when it's wet slowly and carefully. I find this particular method REALLY helpful when I don't want my thick hair to look almost like an afro after it's dry :)

Anje
February 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
You have your hair listed as 4b, so it's seriously kinky and Z-waved, right?

While hair is weaker when it's wet, I find that many of the curly-haired folks around here really prefer to comb their hair when it's absolutely saturated with conditioner. Adding oil to my hair also makes it easier to detangle.

AveSantaMaria
February 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Shrinkage is amazing. I had on my profile that my next goal length is APL from shoulder-length, then yesterday I stretched my hair and realized that much of it is longer than APL. :poot:

AveSantaMaria
February 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
You have your hair listed as 4b, so it's seriously kinky and Z-waved, right?

While hair is weaker when it's wet, I find that many of the curly-haired folks around here really prefer to comb their hair when it's absolutely saturated with conditioner. Adding oil to my hair also makes it easier to detangle.

I don't know what that means to be seriously kinky and Z-waved? What is a Z-wave? :rolleyes: Kinky, yes, I think. Wool would be the most appropriate analogy though.

AveSantaMaria
February 17th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Thank you all for your kindness in replying so far!

AveSantaMaria
February 17th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I worry that many of the curlies comb when wet in order to preserve their curls, not out of consideration for the eventual thickness of their hair. Is this true? :poot:

HairColoredHair
February 17th, 2009, 04:20 PM
I don't know what that means to be seriously kinky and Z-waved? What is a Z-wave? :rolleyes: Kinky, yes, I think. Wool would be the most appropriate analogy though.

Z waved means this: Z as opposed to this: S

Curly hair is often combed while soaked in conditioner because the conditioner adds slip which lets the comb easily move through tangles while not pulling overmuch on the hair, while preserving their curl and not getting masses of frizz. I imagine that pulling hair out of its curls can't be too good for it.

SimplyLonghair
February 17th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Okay, I comb out patients with this kind of hair at work and I use huge amounts of conditioner or oils. It gives me the slip that I need to get the comb through their hair and not cause damage. I like carrot oil mixed with vitamin e oil, or any serious conditioners. Their families have the different products that we use. And I use what ever the families bring. :shrug: Just time patience and a strong comb.:bigeyes:

MadPirateBippy
February 17th, 2009, 06:31 PM
I use a bone comb while dry, and when my hair is in any position to get tangled (windy outside, when I'm sleeping) I braid it so that detangling later will be easier. Updos are your FRIEND. I also comb BEFORE i get in the shower (partly for hair, partly to save my plumbing from hair clogs) as well as after when it's partly dry. That cuts down on tangles quite a bit.

Comb gently from the bottom and slowly work your way up, that's another thing to keep in mind.

As far as the curly hair goes... you'll have to ask a curly girl!

AnneAdeline
February 17th, 2009, 06:39 PM
I usually comb my hair when it is wet, because I find it means smoother hair once it is dry. I'm always very careful with my wet hair, making sure I'm not adding to the breakage.
My hair is no where near curly, though, and I have never encountered the mythical beast of "frizz". :D

Goddessey
February 17th, 2009, 09:34 PM
My hair type is very similar to yours. I never comb my hair when it's dry. I detangle it very gently and slowly while it's still damp after a wash and that's it. All other times, I either finger comb or make sure that I've thoroughly moisturized it first, as our hair type tends to be naturally dry and brittle.

Combing when damp or moisturized (with a water based product, not just oil) gives hair more elasticity and helps eliminate most breakage.

Also, if you are in a rush, perhaps you should put off combing for when you have time. You could do an up do and smooth your hair with a BBB instead. Taking your time and being gentle with your hair is very important.

Goddessey
February 17th, 2009, 09:41 PM
One more thing...maybe you should try another comb. I've never used a comb with metal teeth but that one looks sort of...um... scary.

I'd try one with plastic, wider spaced teeth...a seamless one if possible, they're more gentle.

I buy my combs from tenderheaded.com:)

Nevermore
February 17th, 2009, 09:46 PM
That comb looks like it's too fine toothed for your hair type. Try a wider toothed comb, you can get them cheaply in any drug store/walmart-type store or even the dollar store, something like this: http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04/14/57/87/0004145787859_500X500.jpg and combing with conditioner/oil in your hair.

Anje
February 17th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately, you'll find we have a limited number of 4s around here to really help you. We'd love to have you stay, but I'm also going to direct you to Long Hair Care Forums (http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/), where you might get a bit more targeted advice.

I think you may want to consider putting your hair in some sort of braids or twists between detangling sessions, or even do a few larger braids on detangled sections during the process. At least that will keep it from re-tangling as you work through it.

SammieEve
March 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
This thread seems kind of dead, but since Iím hereÖ

Iím not sure if Iím the best one to give advice since my hair seems to be a bit stalled in the growth department right now, but I can tell you what I do to detangle my hair. I usually CO wash with V05 then follow with a heavier conditioner, currently Pantene Relaxed and Natural (I donít think its very moisturizing but I havenít found anything to match the slip). Once the Pantene is in, I section my hair down the middle and finger comb. After it seems like Iíve gotten the tangles out, Iíll use a wide tooth comb like this one http://www.sallybeauty.com/Pastel-Shower-Comb/SBS-345635,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair11-01 except the tips of the comb look smoother in person. Once Iím done with that, Iíll use a Denman http://www.sallybeauty.com/http%3a//www.sallybeauty.com/Classic+Styling+Brush+D3/SBS-103200%2cdefault%2cpd.html/SBS-103200,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10 to make sure the individual clumps of curls donít have any knots.

This might seem like a lot of handling for type 4 hair, but Iíve found that no matter how carefully I finger comb and wide-tooth comb if I donít use the Denman, by the next time I wash my hair some of my curls have started to turn into little dreadlocks. And I find the Denman brushing step causes my curls to have better definition.

At this point I either wash the conditioner out or leave it in depending on my mood and I put my hair up after this. Since Iím not wearing it down, there is no need to wash everyday to restore the curls. I usually just smooth the top with a brush like this one http://www.sallybeauty.com/Yorkshire-II-Mixed-Boar-Styler-Brush/SBS-333858,default,pd.html?cgid=Hair10 and a little more conditioner put on top. I think this last step is the part that is causing a lot of my current ďhaloĒ breakage, but until I find a way to make myself presentable for work without this step, Iím stuck. (Having long undamaged hair takes a backseat to being employed).

If you wear your hair down, maybe you should check out this site http://www.biracialhair.org/Welcome.html (It looks like itís down today, but it was working yesterday). And go through her process on how to handle your hair. I sort of follow it, but I donít bother with all of the smoothing she does since my hair is going right back up anyway. Hope this helps!

joyfulmom4
March 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
I think the hair type matters a LOT when discussing how we care for our hair. My hair is a bit wavy, but nothing like your curls. Mine really doesn't tangle all that much. I use a wide-toothed hairpick to comb mine out. I've tried assorted wide-toothed combs, but always return to the pick. Something about the angle I hold it at makes it much easier for me to comb my hair. I comb mine when it's still fairly wet, after wrapping up for a few minutes in a towel. If it happens to be super tangled for some reason, I will comb it out in the shower while it's soaking wet and saturated with conditioner. Then I will rinse, wrap in a towel and go over it once more as usual. Then I leave it alone until dry.

I don't understand the care of very curly hair well, but from what little I do know, the proper care is much different than for straight or slightly wavy hair. Someone posted a link here a few days ago for a website where a curly girl described her haircare routine. I remember that she conditioned twice and left a huge amount of conditioner in her hair when she combed out the curls. I think she separated the curls and combed them, then let them dry completely untouched and did not comb out again after drying. The result was long and beautiful spirals. She had some "before" pics on her site too and you could see a huge, huge difference in her hair, from a really frizzy and poofy style to long ringlets. Not that all hair can do that, but I guess my point is that you should seek advice from an "expert" who knows your hair type.

I'll see if I can find that link...

joyfulmom4
March 1st, 2009, 06:10 PM
OK, found the link. It's for "biracial" hair, but I would think any hair of similar texture might benefit. Ymmv.

http://www.biracialhair.org/

Debra83
March 1st, 2009, 11:16 PM
I found that mixed chicks has very good instruction videos on how to care for kinky hair.