PDA

View Full Version : Too much "D" not enough "S"

Mishka_84
February 17th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I decided to finally do a search and destroy last night. I spent 3 hours snipping off split ends and fairy knots. I found 7 fairy knots (is that like, some kind of record? :D) and I think almost each hair had a split :(. This morning, I'm still finding splits and weak spots. I guess I kind of deserve this, since I haven't trimmed or cut since 2006, but it's still disheartening.

On the plus side, I can already tell my hair is easier to comb, not as many tangles in the ends. But I'm wondering how many more splits will I find? It's easy to just look down and Hello, another split. Is there some way to make it easier? Should I dampen my hair, or have it completely wet? What's the easierst way for you to S & D?

janeytilllie
February 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I find it easier doing S+Ds when my hair is dry and I hold my hair up to a very bright light. I always find for me that twisting your hair, pops out little splits so I do that method too. I will also comb my hair then check for Splits and then do another comb and then I repeat this for 30 mins. I have foud these methods work for me.
I hate S+D but it most be done :)

I forgot to mention that I use very sharp nail scissors to S+D with. I find that sharp nail scissors are easier to use :D

spidermom
February 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM
The last time I had a huge amount of split ends and other obvious damage, I divided my hair into small ponytails all around my head, slid the pony-tie down toward the ends, and cut straight across the bottom at a point where I could eliminate most splits in that section with one cut. Then I spent about 5 minutes snipping off any obvious splits above that point. I cut a good 4 inches off some sections, only 1 inch off others. Then I tried to even it up with a Feye self-trim, but I didn't do a very good job so went to my hairdresser to get a nice, even U-shape.

In other words, sometimes you need a global trim rather than trying to do S&D for 20 hours out of your life.

But if you don't want to lose any length, sectioning off your hair into small ponytails and sliding the pony-tie down is a good way to begin. It causes the ends to splay out, making the splits easier to get to. You could set a time limit for each section so that you can get to them all in one setting. Repeat as needed.

sklent
February 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I just fingercomb my hair and whenever i get a tangle (which is often) I look if it is caused because of other hairs or a piece of lint. If it's lint I will try and get it out and if it is because of a split i snip it off just above the split with scissors for hair I only use on my own hair. :)

RancheroTheBee
February 17th, 2009, 01:07 PM
First of all, are they actually split, or are you just trimming off anything that has a suspiciously lighter color at the end? Because that's what I used to do, as a sort of preemptive strike on splits, only to realize that a lot of the dye I used before was fading, and those ends were blonde.

In any case, I agree with Spidermom. If you're finding a lot of splits, I'd just get a real trim, lest you end with with a very uneven hemline. Again, also speaking from experience.

manderly
February 17th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Mishka, I S&D with dry hair sitting in front of the computer with LHC in the background. It gives the perfect lightinhg and contrast to find the little buggers!!

And I have a kajillion fairy knots, especially at my nape.

I generally run m y fingers through my hair until I find a yucky spot, pull if forward, and start S&D.

MadPirateBippy
February 17th, 2009, 08:45 PM
The last time I had a huge amount of split ends and other obvious damage, I divided my hair into small ponytails all around my head, slid the pony-tie down toward the ends, and cut straight across the bottom at a point where I could eliminate most splits in that section with one cut. Then I spent about 5 minutes snipping off any obvious splits above that point. I cut a good 4 inches off some sections, only 1 inch off others. Then I tried to even it up with a Feye self-trim, but I didn't do a very good job so went to my hairdresser to get a nice, even U-shape.

:agape: That... that is BRILLIANT.

Alun
February 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I haven't had a real trim in years, only S&D, and even that not lately. Memo to self: Must do S&D.

I have sometimes encountered stylists that sectioned my hair a bit at a time with a clip to trim it, and that led to losing far less length, but I wouldn't know what to ask for, and suspect that some might act as if I was mad if I asked for that to be done.

s_tresses
February 17th, 2009, 09:04 PM
What scissors do you guys use? I am so frustrated right now with my hair, I have spent a lot of time S&Ding and I feel like the splits (and white dots and knots and angled hair urghhh) come right back. Of course, it could be because I started using cones again but I think its because I am using these cheap pair of scissors from Conair which I picked up from CVS .

Anyway let me know. Thanks in advance.

Ash
February 17th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Mishka_84: 26 knots and 5 splits in 2 hours. :( I then found more knots the following day.
The easiest way I have found to do this is to comb all my hair behind my shoulders and then pull small sections to the front to look through, starting at the front on one side. I then tuck that section behind my ear and pull the next section forward. When I get a large portion done, then I pull it back with a hair band (claw clips work too.) I also hold each section up to both a light and a dark surface, some damage doesn't show up well against one color.

s_tresses: I use a pair of cheap hair scissors from Wal Mart. I make sure to use them only for hair and I replace them each year. So far, I have not had any problems.

TheBlondeApple
February 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
Are you trying to get fairytale endings or why don't you just get a trim or a microtrim with Feye's Method?
Anja

ale
February 18th, 2009, 07:46 AM
I quit worrying for split ends long time ago, after reading a post from a LHC member, that enlightened me. The post said something like this: I have a lot of splits, and they will be a lot even if I spent hours S&Ding, and they will reform even if I trim them all. So I save time and worries by living with them.
I can't remember who posted this, but anyway, thanks!

trolleypup
February 18th, 2009, 09:12 AM
I decided to finally do a search and destroy last night. I spent 3 hours snipping off split ends and fairy knots. I found 7 fairy knots (is that like, some kind of record? :D) and I think almost each hair had a split :(. This morning, I'm still finding splits and weak spots. I guess I kind of deserve this, since I haven't trimmed or cut since 2006, but it's still disheartening.

On the plus side, I can already tell my hair is easier to comb, not as many tangles in the ends. But I'm wondering how many more splits will I find? It's easy to just look down and Hello, another split. Is there some way to make it easier? Should I dampen my hair, or have it completely wet? What's the easierst way for you to S & D?
No, not really any way to make it easier...just find good light, the right background, and just start snipping the bad stuff.

I always have more splits, so I just pick a random section of hair to work on, and then move on to another. When I have had enough, or run out of time or light, I just stop. The splits aren't going anywhere.

I figure I spend a few hours a month on S&D...if I keep up with it it makes the detangling and combing (much) easier overall.

For now, most of your splits will be near your hemline...as hair gets closer to terminal length, the splits will be more evenly distributed through the length, making trims and micro-trims (much) less effective for split removal.

Mishka_84: 26 knots and 5 splits in 2 hours. :( I then found more knots the following day.

s_tresses: I use a pair of cheap hair scissors from Wal Mart. I make sure to use them only for hair and I replace them each year. So far, I have not had any problems.
I should be so lucky to find such infinitesimal damage in 2 hours!

I use a pair of small Japanese ground hair scissors...the cutting action is soooo smooth!

Speedbump
February 18th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I found 7 fairy knots (is that like, some kind of record? :D)
Short answer? No. :lol: Unfortunately, I have found more than that in one sitting. Not an award I would cherish getting if there was one. And I doubt my number is any kind of a record, either. ;)

On the plus side, I can already tell my hair is easier to comb, not as many tangles in the ends. But I'm wondering how many more splits will I find? It's easy to just look down and Hello, another split. Is there some way to make it easier? Should I dampen my hair, or have it completely wet? What's the easiest way for you to S & D?For me at least wetting the hair in any way hides splits and problems instead of helping. I only do S&D on dry hair and right by a lamp or a bright window so that I can see the knots, splits, white dots and weak points better.

And finally, you don't "deserve" hair damage, no matter how long you haven't cut. ;) I know you were only making a figure of speech, but hair damage is inevitable regardless of how often you trim. However, it is true that damage tends to beget damage, so it might be a good idea to at least S&D once a week even if you have no plans to trim otherwise. Knots for me especially beget splits and other knots, so getting rid of those is a high priority for my hair's overall health.

Keep on snippin' and it will get down to a low roar. Truly! :D

Morningglory
February 18th, 2009, 09:52 AM
[COLOR="Magenta" Last night I discovered an unbelievable amount of splits in my teenage daughters hair.:mad: It must have been from the flat iron. Her hair is extremely thick! So, I spent about an hour doing an S&D on the bottom inch section of her hair. Oh, I have just this month cut thee inches off her length so she does not want to loose any more length. We are going to grow her hair about three more inches to waist and maintain there until the splits are gone. Anyway, So I also took the bottom layer to start with the rest of her hair cliped up out of the way and did about three twistie ponytail type sections and twisted one way and snipped the hair that would poke out along the length of the twisted tail looking to cut mostly just splits of course, then twist the section the other direction and clipped the splits I could see( which would not stop) then I would spread out the twistie and seaperate the hairs to locate more and snip indivitually. Also, I would loop the hair around my finger and let the splits pop out as I ran my fingers down the length snipping splits, then turning to the underside and checking there as well. This is a labour of love, and it is worth the effort to save her damaged hair in an attempt to help it to grow. I will continue with this to the next one inch section from the nape up until I reach the canopy, once a week or every day when ever I have a chance. :)

Because her hair is so extremely thick I was concidering using my thinning shears on the last few inches on the under sections cutting at a zero degree angle(holding the hair straight down parallel to the back). This would give many of her hairs a good trim without loosing length. I have not yet decided but it would also help with not cutting too many hairs at an ackward angle 90 degree angle(with the hair horizontal from the back of the head) wich can leave a lot of fly away looking hairs.

Once you get to the top layers and especially the canopy one would want to use great caution not to cut too much into twisties etc... as not to have the hairs show the cuts.

My daughters hair is very light colored (Honey colored)and she does not like me to mess with it. So I was very surprised to find the splits she just so happened to be wearing black and we were standing under the perfect light. I am pulling out the emergency measures because I had noticed over the last year she was not gaining any length in inches!! Eventhough she was grwoing out the crown nicely because she stopped almost all heat styling over a year ago. So, that is why we trimmed a good three inches. It would break her heart to cut any more length and so this is going to take a lot of hard work and dedication. But, if length is an absolute must and the splits are compleatly out of control to the point of not growing because of breakage then a trim and S&D's couldn't hurt![/COLOR]:D

Mishka_84
February 18th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Well, I've done 2 evenings of S&D so far. Not able to find splits as easily now, so that's good, right? Last night I sat here on the comp with a white background, and that helped alot.

I really don't want to trim to get rid of splits, because my ends aren't all one length, so I'd lose at least 2 inches to a trim. But it was to the point that I couldn't run my fingers through my hair without several tangles. Now the tangles are ALOT better.

I am going to have a trusted friend trim me a bit, just to even out the length, but that shouldn't even take 1/2 an inch.