PDA

View Full Version : The back of my head was very dark. Long explanation follows.

scalawaggirl
February 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
First off, apologies for the lengthy post. Here is a little background because I just discovered how much darker the very back of my head was (only the section at the back, not anything below it).

On Sunday, I did my roots with my henna/cassia mix and left it on for 4 hours. Then, I applied a henna/cassia gloss mixed w/yoghurt to the length for another hour (will be doing this from now on; the shine is amazing). I did one full-head application before this exactly 3 weeks ago but my roots were already more than 3/4" grown! Yowza! Not complaining, mind you.

When I was looking at my hair before bed, I noticed what a lousy job I'd been doing on the roots at the back of my head or so it seemed! I'm totally confused because this section is much darker than any other part, even the very bottom under layer. Ugh! :rolleyes: It looked like I did not even apply henna/cassia to this area even though I'm certain I did. ;)

I'm wondering, if anyone else has noticed this odd phenomenon. It is doubtful due to to my old grown-out hair color though, as I mentioned, my under-canopy is noticeably darker. I believe this has happened, to some degree, from how I used to color - before I did henna/cassia, I had colored my own hair w/a combo mix of Wella Charm using a 30% volume developer so there was some lift going on. I did all of my roots once a month, on average, and then pulled the color down for the last 10 minutes over the top canopy (over previous highlights).

However, my question/quandary is why aren't the under layer "roots" also lighter? Seems like they would also be growing out similar to the ones on the top of my head and, as such, a visible line of demarcation. Hmm. I don't spend a lot of time in the sun so there would be no natural lightening happening as in my youth.

Oh, and although one might think I'd have thought about or discovered this before, well, I was not as obsessed about my hair as I am now so there you go. I routinely examine, comb and fawn over it these days. It's a sickness, I tell you! :o

So, I did a lightening using the 30% volume developer (from another recent LHC thread), which I diluted 1:1 with RO/DI water. I soaked the very back of my hair after sectioning it out and then blew it dry on warm heat until damp. Given that it didn't seem to be doing much, I put straight 30% developer on the same section and repeated. Now, I wonder, if I should've used hot heat rather than warm. It turned out fairly well with no damage that I can tell but the dark section remains; albeit, a bit lighter but the henna shows up better now, IMO. Prior to doing anything, I had put an oil mix including coconut on my hair. It was on the heavier side at the back of my head so maybe that was the culprit, as well.

I'm seriously considering doing another application of 30% volume developer but this time, I would use hot heat rather than warm. It did seem to lift the darkness while leaving the henna but it was a small shift, as I mentioned.

Finally, I'm not totally freaked out about it since it sort of looks as though I intended to create the major highlights that appear from the bright orange/auburn streaks. They are all over my canopy and make it appear that my hair is quite brightly colored (I like this) over a darker color that is my under canopy. I suppose my goal is to get the variations to a closer comparison rather than bright vs. dark. I would add that, if this were an actual line of demarcation, I would definitely be flipping out. ;) Please share your thoughts on this and how you think the color difference looks.

Here are pics of the situation:

Back section where the main problem lies. This is a before/after lightening w/the 30% volume developer. Also, the white balance is a bit off in the first pic and you can see the oil, which is not in the 2nd pic so please keep that in mind.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/scalawaggirl/Hair/Backsectionlightenbefore_aftercompa.jpg

Full head shots before/after. The first is after I did the roots and henna/cassia gloss. The second is from this morning so 1.5 days oxidation so far. Again, the color comparison is variable due to lightening and also the elusive complexity of henna but I can tell that my ends have definitely lightened up. They are a dark auburn now (from very dark, almost wine-colored) but I can see the henna/shine much better.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/scalawaggirl/Hair/Fullhairaftertouchupbeforelightento.jpg

Lastly, these pictures show some of how the color variations look with part of my hair pulled back after lightening. Real life color is more like the 2nd pic, IMO, though you can't really see the darker henna color.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/scalawaggirl/Hair/Colorvariationsafterlighten.jpg

twilight
February 17th, 2009, 09:44 AM
wow, the after shots look awesome! you really got rid of that extra darkness... congratulations!

(i recently did the same myself and it was like getting new hair :))

i think your hair looks fantastic as-is. i'm sure we all have spots of variable color from imperfect applications of henna... it just adds to the charm and makes it look "more natural," as my mom says.

scalawaggirl
February 17th, 2009, 09:55 AM
wow, the after shots look awesome! you really got rid of that extra darkness... congratulations!

(i recently did the same myself and it was like getting new hair :))

i think your hair looks fantastic as-is. i'm sure we all have spots of variable color from imperfect applications of henna... it just adds to the charm and makes it look "more natural," as my mom says.

Thanks, twilight! I did get rid of a lot of that darkness, for sure. Believe it or not, I'm sitting here with a load of coconut, argan and avocado oils on the same section because I'm going to do one more round of lightening just to blend a bit more.

I do agree that the variations make for a more natural effect. Hadn't thought about that much before but I can guarantee you that I will be using two mirrors next time I do my roots! :p

MeMyselfandI
February 17th, 2009, 10:23 AM
scalawaggirl,

Your hair looks amazing in the after shots. I would not do anything to correct it right now. I like the wave. The colour looks very nice. I know you can see any imperfections. I cannot see a colour difference on your ends right now with the new henna. I do see the difference in the bottom shots of your scalp area. My hair has a similar pattern of colour in the same areas.

Knowing how my grey hair picks up henna with each application, I think the streaks you see will not be noticable with the next henna application.

I would not worry about the top area if the darker area is hair that has not been chemically treated.

How light did your hair go before you did your new henna application.

With my hair I have noticed that hair that was previously chemically treated, seems to get darker with each henna treatment. Virgin hair that has not gone black or grey keep henna the least and seems not to remain or get the darkening henna colour. The greys eventually go darker henna colour and the black hair retain the henna and the darkening henna colour somewhere between the grey and the virgin light brown hair.

I have also noticed that the hair does not grow the same, grey grows fastest. Virgin hair the slowest. Behind my head has more virgin hair then the top of my head which is more black and grey, and my temples is all grey. So all these areas take up henna differently and hold on to it differently.

If I were you I would not worry about the darker top. I would do another full application when you need to do one because of the roots and see how the rest of the head looks after that application.

I once did a yoghurt with henna application. (There was a thread awhile ago.) I was very dissappointed, my grey hair looked blond after it. I just did not feel it was enough for my grey hairs. Usually I find that the grey hair picks up henna as I am applying the henna to my head.

I have no idea how you ended up with the before shot. But I love the after picture.

MeMyselfandI
February 17th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks, twilight! I did get rid of a lot of that darkness, for sure. Believe it or not, I'm sitting here with a load of coconut, argan and avocado oils on the same section because I'm going to do one more round of lightening just to blend a bit more.

I do agree that the variations make for a more natural effect. Hadn't thought about that much before but I can guarantee you that I will be using two mirrors next time I do my roots! :p

What part do you want to use the peroxide on? The top part? Has chemical colours been used on this part before?

melrose1985
February 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM
I like your hair color, it's so pretty.

scalawaggirl
February 17th, 2009, 11:43 AM
What part do you want to use the peroxide on? The top part? Has chemical colours been used on this part before?

Just on the lower layers only. The top has had chemical treatment but it's probably going on 3" now of natural growth that are under henna. The really bright copper parts is henna over my grays and blond baby hairs.

I just did another peroxide treatment only on the lower layer and I think it will do the trick so that'll be it for me. I'm letting it air dry so it will be awhile before I can make the call but to my eye, the layers are blending much better now.

Regarding how light my hair was before henna, I have pics in my blog you can see. It was a golden blond color on the top layers/roots but the weird thing is that the under layer stayed dark even though I was touching up. I think I might've missed doing it right or it is naturally just darker. Not sure yet.

Oh, and just to clarify, when I touch up roots, I do not add yoghurt to my henna/cassia mix - it's straight up mud. That was only for the henna/cassia gloss that I did on the length (mostly the top layer) because I ran out of product. Next time, I will be more generous with it. I doubt my greys would color with just a gloss, either.

Melrose1985, thanks! It's certainly a work in progress but I sure do love the henna. ;)

MeMyselfandI
February 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
scalawaggirl

Thanks for the clarification.

I am curious to see how the peroxide lifts the colour without the heat.

Are you going to lift just enough to much the rest of the hair, or do you think you will need to do another henna treatment to match the colour.

scalawaggirl
February 17th, 2009, 12:14 PM
scalawaggirl

Thanks for the clarification.

I am curious to see how the peroxide lifts the colour without the heat.

Are you going to lift just enough to much the rest of the hair, or do you think you will need to do another henna treatment to match the colour.

YW. I definitely used heat this time because I found that only using warm was just okay. While I don't like subjecting my hair to the hot seat, I figured it was okay since I don't intend to do this anymore. It was a two-time treatment.

I lifted just enough to better complement the rest of my hair, rather than match it exactly. Regarding another henna treatment, I don't think that I will be doing a full one anytime soon. For me, the henna/cassia gloss w/yoghurt gives me everything I need. In fact, my next experiment is to separate out the hair that was previously highlighted and just gloss that alone. So, I would be doing the part of my hair that has grown out only - not roots or anything below the highlighted pieces. It should prove interesting! ;)

scalawaggirl
February 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Back w/an update. I pretreated w/oil (coconut, argan & avocado) for an hour or so and then applied 40% volume developer diluted 3:1 w/RO/DI water. I only applied this to my under layer, which was too dark for my taste from previous chemical dye. This was my 2nd treatment to lighten it and now, it blends much better so I'm done!

Here are some pics, which I will upload to my blog. The flash setting was low on my camera (duh!) so the color is darker than reality but at least you can how things blend so much better now (primarily visible in full length shot):

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/scalawaggirl/Hair/IMG_4787.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/scalawaggirl/Hair/IMG_4791.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/scalawaggirl/Hair/IMG_4780.jpg