PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on hair

janeytilllie
February 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi everyone

Tonight I took another monthly hair pic to put on my hair growth album. I have noticed something that has caused me great concern.

I think my ends are badly thinning. I don't know why because Things I do

* I do not straigthen or use heat. I havent done so for 3 years
* I do not dye my hair. I also again haven't done this for 3 years.
* I do not use harsh brushes
* I do not swim
* I do not use cones or sls
* I do not have split ends
* I wash my hair carefully and i braid my hair for bed.
* I oil my ends with coconut oil.
* I have been taking multi vits and i have a good diet

So I do not undertand why my ends are becoming so bad so quicky! heres some pics ( Im sorry for the size im not sure how to shrink them)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2286&pictureid=27985

August 2008

My ends are quite thick here.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=29956

jan 22nd

My ends as you can see are thinning

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=31965

Heres tonights pic 16 feb 2009. My ends are horrible and they are thinner and gone higher up and its been less than a month!

I really really do not know what to do? Does anyone know what might cause ends to thin like this? So I can somehow control it? I really do not want to cut my hair.

I really worried in case the thinness traveles higher.
Advice and opinions iIwould be very grateful. I really do not know what to do :(

HairColoredHair
February 16th, 2009, 04:28 PM
I don't think your ends are that much thinner in the last photo than the second. A bit more pieced than in the other, and spread further over your shoulders, yes.

For some people fairy tale ends (thinner ends) are just the way their hair grows.

Mine is one of them. My hairs grow at many different speeds and the ends are thinner.

hennared
February 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hi there - For what it's worth.. my ends look a LOT like yours. I also think the last two pictures do not look all that different - actually, to me, the last photo your hair looks a bit oilier, or, a bit like mine looks, after a too heavy visit with shampoo bars. Have you changed washing methods since the first picture?

janeytilllie
February 16th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Hi there - For what it's worth.. my ends look a LOT like yours. I also think the last two pictures do not look all that different - actually, to me, the last photo your hair looks a bit oilier, or, a bit like mine looks, after a too heavy visit with shampoo bars. Have you changed washing methods since the first picture?

yep. I have been washing my hair with hair soap for about 3 weeks with no probs. But yesterday it left a horrible waxy stuff on my hair. I tried everything to get it off. As a last resort I used my sls free shampoo. It has taken the wax stuff off but my hair is abit on the greasy side.

Its nice to know that you and haircoloredhair think my ends dont look any thinner. Maybe its the greaseness giving a false effect?

LHGypsyRose
February 16th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I definitely think it to be an illusion caused be the "greaseness". Your ends don't look any thinner to me:)

janeytilllie
February 16th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I definitely think it to be an illusion caused be the "greaseness". Your ends don't look any thinner to me:)

Thank you :flower:

Thinking about it more and observing the pics closerly, it could be my shampoo bar disaster from yesterday to blame.

I was really having a big panic attack! Thank goddness for TLHC! I would indeed be lost without it :)

MsBubbles
February 16th, 2009, 05:42 PM
Maybe it's just my eyes, but to me it looks like the thicker part at waist is still there, it's just that now you have some longer fairytale ends that are running on ahead. The thickness looks like it's still there at the same place.

SpecialKitty
February 16th, 2009, 06:18 PM
Also, one thing to keep in mind is that you've been three years without heat and harsh products, but your ends would likely have been around for that pre-gentle care routine. They are probably more damaged than the rest of your hair for that reason. The rest of your hair looks very healthy, shiny and thick! I bet with a couple more years of growth, and slowly trimming those ends, you won't have the problem anymore.....

twilight_faerie
February 16th, 2009, 11:25 PM
yep. I have been washing my hair with hair soap for about 3 weeks with no probs. But yesterday it left a horrible waxy stuff on my hair. I tried everything to get it off. As a last resort I used my sls free shampoo. It has taken the wax stuff off but my hair is abit on the greasy side.

Its nice to know that you and haircoloredhair think my ends dont look any thinner. Maybe its the greaseness giving a false effect?

Have you tried using a diluted vinegar rinse to remove the buildup?

Sydney
February 17th, 2009, 04:31 AM
everyone's hair is different, maybe it is just your hairtype?

suicides_eve
February 17th, 2009, 04:37 AM
i don't see much of a difference of any on your hair, the last picture the hair is spread out farther.

as others have said everyone's hair is different like mines has a natural "u" shape to it - i really don't like it.

janeytilllie
February 17th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Have you tried using a diluted vinegar rinse to remove the buildup?

Yep I did, I did quite a strong mixture too and nothing worked I also tried baking soda to see if it would help.

The urtkram shampoo has helped a bit. The wax is gone im just left with grease :( So today I going rewash my hair with the shampoo. Fingers crossed!

janeytilllie
February 17th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Also, one thing to keep in mind is that you've been three years without heat and harsh products, but your ends would likely have been around for that pre-gentle care routine. They are probably more damaged than the rest of your hair for that reason. The rest of your hair looks very healthy, shiny and thick! I bet with a couple more years of growth, and slowly trimming those ends, you won't have the problem anymore.....

You make a very good point :) I never thought that my ends would still be damaged, silly me! lol. Your very much right. My ends would still have damage from three years ago. And believe you me I tortured my hair! I use to straigthen every day! I dyed it blonde, then black then purple :o

laurachiplock
February 17th, 2009, 06:34 AM
I'm sorry, but I disagree.

I also see a big difference in your ends, the first picture they do look much healthier. I personally, would trim because it appears there may be quite a bit of breakage going on.

That is JMHO

janeytilllie
February 17th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you! I was yet again having a very bad hair day yesterday. Today is alot better. I used my shampoo bar again but this time I did a stronger ACV rinse and I used my organic goats milk shea butter soap as a conditoner. My hair looks so much better! heres a pic ( im so sorry for the size)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2296&pictureid=32072

So thank you all for your support :blossom::flowers::blossom:

twilight_faerie
February 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I'm glad that worked for you :) What ACV dilution did you end up using?

janeytilllie
February 17th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I'm glad that worked for you :) What ACV dilution did you end up using?

I read a blog on here by Caslista on shampoo bars. I did her recommendation of 100ml ACV IN 900ml water. My hair is alot better, I also washed my hair upside down, I think that helped too :cheese:

HairColoredHair
February 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
It looks very nice! I love the little wavy ends! :D

janeytilllie
February 17th, 2009, 03:32 PM
It looks very nice! I love the little wavy ends! :D

Thank you! :D It is surprising how hair can look bad and beyond repair and the next looks really healthy and nice lol. I think next time when im having a bad hair day, I'll put my hair in a bun and avoid mirrors and pictures lol :p

Thanks again for the support :)

LittleOrca
February 17th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Your hair looks so lovely. :D I'm glad you are having a better hair day.

Tornerose
February 18th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Your hair is absolutely lovely. I think the difference in the first pics was just the way you has washed or brushed it, and the new pic looks absolutely dreamy.
If you keep feeling like it's a problem you might want to cut it straight off at about BSL, but then again it would be a huge adjustment to get used to having that short hair again.
But your hair looks the way I dream of mine to look.

janeytilllie
February 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Your hair looks so lovely. :D I'm glad you are having a better hair day.

Thank you! :D I'm glad too! lol :cheese:

janeytilllie
February 18th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Your hair is absolutely lovely. I think the difference in the first pics was just the way you has washed or brushed it, and the new pic looks absolutely dreamy.
If you keep feeling like it's a problem you might want to cut it straight off at about BSL, but then again it would be a huge adjustment to get used to having that short hair again.
But your hair looks the way I dream of mine to look.

Awwww! thank you :D I think it was my shampoo bar that caused the problem. I used it and it left a wax grease on it :( So I followed the advice on a blog and used a stronger ACV rinse. I also washed my hair up side down. I think it really helped :cheese:

I do get tempted to chop, but I know I couldn't, I'm too chicken! :p So my plan is doing regular S+Ds and wait for my shortest layer to be waist then chop off all even :D

Thanks again for the support and lovely comment ;)