PDA

View Full Version : What can I do about a few gray strands at crown?

Olivia23
February 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM
I am 33, and I hate the fact I am starting to get grey hair. I only see about 4 strands, but they all are right at the part in the crown, and of course they are very noticeable. Is there any sort of dye I can use at just the crown to cover up my grays that is not damaging to my hair? I have dark brown hair.

spidermom
February 16th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Or you could change where you part your hair for now.

I've seen things that look kind of like flea combs with dye in them sold for root touch-ups, but it still seems that buying one of them would be overkill for 4 gray hairs.

MemSahib
February 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I agree with Spidermom that a handfull of silvers aren't worth dyeing for. I guess my other suggestion is to think where you might like to be with your hair color in 15 or 20 years. If, when you are 53, you picture yourself as a longhair with a silver braid, then perhaps you might consider embracing the silver now. Hair dyes are harsh and are a huge pain to grow out. If, however, you think you absolutely cannot live with silver, ever, well... that would be a different decision, wouldn't it? In the meantime you might like to take a look at Going Gray Looking Great (http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/) before you completely make up your mind.

Sunshine69
February 16th, 2009, 04:17 PM
MemSahib, I looked at the photos from that site, and I'm just amazed at how much better those women look with their natural hair. It's so much softer and dimensional. I think overall hair color tends to make the hair look flat and so stark against the face. Really very inspirational! thanks for posting the link. When my hair turns grey, I think I'll just leave it be and grow it long long long!! :)

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I've had a few grey hairs since I was 14 and always liked it. :)

If you want to cover up the greys, you might want to look into catnip rinses (will make the grey hair blond), henna (will make ALL your hair reddish, stronger, harder to break, and cover the greys), hendigo (a gorgeous black, henna is warm toned and won't work with some skin tones like mine, but with indigo mixed in you get this rich multi-dimensinoal black- I knew a couple of girls from India that had brown hair and use hendigo to get that amazing blue-black shine), coffee rinses for a warm brown....

There's a lot of herbal stuff you can do. I don't reccomend going the route of dying your hair with chemical dyes because it just causes SO much damage- even in the darker dyes, there's enough peroxide to seriously weaken your hair and make growing long a lot more difficult and tangly. There's also a lot of seriously questionalbe chemicals in them.

My Dad's gotten rid of some of his grey hair with DMAE and a good vitamin regime. Some people have also reported using the skin bio copper peptides for a few months and the grey hairs revert.

However... I have to admit there's something incredibly powerful, elegant, and dead sexy about a woman with a few grey hairs who still looks young. You're not 20, but it's just this fantastic sign that you're a WOMAN, not a girl, you know who you are and you like it. A giant middle finger in the face of a mutli billion dollar beauty industry that says to be attractive a woman must look 18 and weak. I'm seriously looking forward to having a few streaks of grey.

I guess the last thing you can do is duck my glances of envy. :eyebrows::cheese:

Katze
February 19th, 2009, 03:08 AM
However... I have to admit there's something incredibly powerful, elegant, and dead sexy about a woman with a few grey hairs who still looks young. You're not 20, but it's just this fantastic sign that you're a WOMAN, not a girl, you know who you are and you like it. A giant middle finger in the face of a mutli billion dollar beauty industry that says to be attractive a woman must look 18 and weak. I'm seriously looking forward to having a few streaks of grey.

I guess the last thing you can do is duck my glances of envy. :eyebrows::cheese:

I have to second this. I'm a couple of years older and LOVE my silvers coming in. They look so dramatic and elegant - not a girl but a WOMAN. They suit my complexion and eye color too.

What can you do about them? Change your attitude! :D

magpielaura
February 19th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I'm getting a few now, but they don't show that much in my dark-blond hair. I think I'm just going to let them be since I don't want to get in a cycle of constantly dyeing. It would take years to grow any dye out with long hair and I think its unlikely I'll ever want to go short! I'm quite looking forward to having really long grey/white hair - its such an unusual, special look. That website was really inspiring.

Kuchen
February 19th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I fancied a change and just used a temporary "toner" – it lasts 15 shampoos and I just brushed it on the relevant areas with a tinting brush, then rinsed out after twenty minutes. I have dark brown hair too. The nice thing about the product was that it didn't require mixing, so I could use only a little bit of the tube and save the rest for future touch ups.

Curlsgirl
February 19th, 2009, 05:46 AM
I think yes you should look at whether you want to continue coloring or sometime accept your grey hair. I don't want gray hair and so I have colored ever since I got my first ones at the crown. I admit it can be a pain sometimes for sure. I would do the gray if I liked it on me at ALL. But I just don't. If I were you I would also go with a lower peroxide if you don't like the red of henna or the black of indigo. Robert Craig I have heard is a good gentler dye or you could try a semi-permanent color. If you do that I would go to Sally's and get someone to help pick the right product and color. These are just suggestions. I think gray is beautiful on others but everyone has a choice. With just a few grays I would definitely not do a permanent color right now. Even henna or indigo will have a demarkation line and you would have to touch it up.

Pixna
February 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Frankly, I think a couple grays can be lovely -- it looks like highlights. Why color them? I am starting to love my silvers (which have taken over my head). People would pay good money to have these stripes. :gabigrin: Why do we believe that hair should be one solid color? It rarely is when the color is natural. We all have lots of different hues that come together to appear to be a single color. Enjoy your grays. I vote for leaving them as is and wearing them with pride.

Rohele
February 19th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Don't go down the dyeing path for the sake of a few greys (at least not permanent chemical colour).

Change the part a little, or if it's just 4 and they are really bothering you, maybe just pluck them? (Of course then they grow back and stick straight up in the air, and announce their presence even more, lol)

I agree with the person who said consider where you want to be 10-15-20 years down the road - If you see yourself with long silver hair, just let it come in naturally. Or look at the non-chemical alternatives.