PDA

View Full Version : Seduced again! Darn cones...

krissyam
February 16th, 2009, 01:42 PM
I've been cone free for a while now and I love my hair with this routine, but as I was browsing CVS on a late night shopping trip, I was completely overcome by an urge to try the Organix sls-free coconut milk shampoo and conditioner. I've been trying to avoid it for a while because of the cones in both products, but I love anything cocnut and I knew it would eventually draw me in.

So, as it always is when I first switch back to cones, my hair is soft, silky, frizz-free, and smells gorgeous which brings me to my question: Is there any long term harm in using products that contain dimethicone or cyclomethicone or any other -cone derivatives? I know that my hair does get weighed down after a while of continuous use, but I think I can counter that by using my cone free suave and a different shampoo two times a week.I've been searching for information on the internet about the long term effects of using cones, and I couldn't find any. If it's only the buildup problem, I can take care of that...but if it's damaging to my hair in any way in the long run, I'll have to promptly donate my new goodies to my DH.

Any info is appreciated!

Elphie
February 16th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I love the way that stuff smells! Didn't do anything wonderful for my hair though. I tried it ages ago.

Cones seal the hair shaft. They help give it the appearance of being more healthy than it may be and they can protect your hair. They can also seal moisture out. Besides that and build up, I don't think they do anything else.

s_tresses
February 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM
If you are concerned about the environment, cones that are not water soluble don't break down. Which urges me to point out that cone build up can be hard to "take care of".

heidihug
February 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
I use cone-ful products exclusively, or my hair becomes unmanageable. I have not had a problem with build-up lately since I started clarifying every couple of weeks. I think it very much depends upon your hair type and perhaps even on body chemistry. Use what works for you and what you are comfortable with.

krissyam
February 16th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for your replies. I found this list at a website for curly hair explaining the types of cleansing agents needed to remove each cone, as well as whether its water-soluble or not. The Organix has dimethicone...not water soluble, but removed by coco betaine which is in my SLS-free shampoo.

I agree, Elphie, it's not the best stuff ever. But maybe I'm onto something with using cones only four-five days a week, and THEN I can bring my Kerastase out of exile!

Thanks for the warning re environmental issues. I'm very wary of animal testing and recycling and toxicity, but biodegradable ingredients never crossed my mind. Something to think about.

Honey39
February 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM
As far as I understand it - which is limited! - if you have curly hair, then shampoo doesn't agree with it terribly well, and CO washing seems to work a lot better (that's definitely true for me!). If you want to CO-wash, then cones cause build up quickly, which means you have to deal with them by shampooing.

So I *think* it depends on your hair type. CO-washing works like an absolute dream for me, and cones would interrupt that, so I prefer not to use cones which cause build-up. You have a completely different hair type though, so I suspect it's different for you!

That's how I rationalise it to myself in any case...:-)

LHGypsyRose
February 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Oh darn..I hate those urges to try the new products! They used to get me every time. I think I know which coconut product your talking about, and I have had to walk away from it a few times myself. They say that the cones seal out moisture which doesn't sound good to me, but they never really seemed to do any harm to my hair. The thing that I think bothers my hair the most is the alcahol in these products. I mean..how can a conditioner mosturize your hair if it has alcahol in it?!:mad: I'm sure a little wouldn't hurt, but a lot of times the alcohol is at the top of the ingredient list and it's suppose to be mosturizing!?:confused:

Elphie
February 16th, 2009, 05:18 PM
Just because it's an alcohol, doesn't mean it's isopropyl. There are alcohols that are moisturizing.

teela1978
February 16th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Cones are fine if they work for your hair. Mine happens to like them a lot, I don't use them every day to be perfectly honest, but my hair is much harder to detangle without them. On some people's hair they cause tangles. If that's the case then don't use them. They don't cause damage on their own though. Might make your hair a bit flat if you get buildup.

Cones can seal-out or seal-in moisture, just like any other oil (cones are essentially manmade oils). And just like any other oil, some people like certain ones. My hair likes most of them. Including cones.

LHGypsyRose
February 16th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Just because it's an alcohol, doesn't mean it's isopropyl. There are alcohols that are moisturizing.

Moisturizing alcohols?? Ok well thanks for the insight, because that word has had me trying to avoid anything that contains it.

teela1978
February 16th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Moisturizing alcohols?? Ok well thanks for the insight, because that word has had me trying to avoid anything that contains it.

Yikes! Cetyl alcolhol is in almost every conditioner you can buy! There are several chemicals that have an -OH group on them, making them alcolhols of some sort. Doesn't make them drying though.

Elphie
February 16th, 2009, 05:41 PM
Here's a quickie explanation:

Fatty alcohols
This group includes Lauryl alcohol, Cetyl alcohol, Myristyl alcohol, Stearyl alcohol, Cetearyl alcohol and Behenyl alcohol.

These larger alcohols are typically derived from natural sources, and have 12 or more carbons per molecule (typically 12, 14, 16, 18, and 20). This higher amount of carbon content makes these molecules oilier (also referred to as ‘fatty’). For this reason, they are often used as an emollient in skin and haircare products. They give a smooth, soft feeling to the hair shaft by helping the cuticle to lie flat on the surface of the hair. However, if used in excess, fatty alcohols can combine with the natural sebum found on the scalp and form a sticky substance that makes the hair look greasy.
http://community.babycenter.com/talk/a650595/good_vs._bad_alcohol_in_hair_products.

~GypsyCurls~
February 17th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I have tried on and off again to be CG, but my hair becomes dry, tangled and unmanagable. Cones eventually make my hair feel dry, so I've resolved to doing CO with a cone conditioner and clarifying about once a week to get rid of buildup. I really want to be cone free and more natural though...and the environmental aspect makes me feel guilty.

LHGypsyRose
February 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Thank you ladies. I have been using natural products for some time now, so I haven't had to worry to much about the alcohol thing, but when I was using regular, mass produced store products it was getting kind of scary for me. lol Good thing that is cleared up, and now I know that SLS and cones are the main enemy! :disgust:

teela1978
February 17th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I have tried on and off again to be CG, but my hair becomes dry, tangled and unmanagable. Cones eventually make my hair feel dry, so I've resolved to doing CO with a cone conditioner and clarifying about once a week to get rid of buildup. I really want to be cone free and more natural though...and the environmental aspect makes me feel guilty.

You might want to play a bit with different cones. I do well with dimethicone and amodimethicone (dimethicone builds up fast on me though), but have problems with some other cones (cyclopentasiloxane is bad on me). Your hair might like some beter tha others as well.

RavennaNight
February 17th, 2009, 10:51 PM
I think it is also how much cone you use. If your shampoo has cones (unnecessary. Poo is for cleansing not building up) and your conditioner has cones, then you use another product, like a leave-in or a serum with cones, you may just be over-coning your hair. My washing routine has no cones. But I use a light leave-in on the lower lengths and ends which has cones and my hair loves it and is more manageable because of it.