PDA

View Full Version : I don't know if I should cut??

Glamgirl
February 16th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Hi!! I wanted to ask for your expert opinions on if I should trim/cut. I am at TB length, and haven't trimmed in about a year. My hairdresser says I need AT LEAST 3-4" taken off since I waited so long, and my ends are very dry, etc. I really hate to sacrifice that much length, and honestly, I'd just prefer to leave it alone for a while longer. I do have some split ends, but overall my hair seems thick and healthy. What should I do? Take her advice and cut it, or just leave it be? Is it ok to not trim for a long period of time? Will it stop growing if I do??

I've attached a photo as well.

Thanks so much for your help and advice!:flower:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/mjensen1/HOME011-1.jpg

MemSahib
February 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I think I would give those ends some loving moisture before I trimmed off 4". At least in your picture they look great, but I know that having them actually in your hands can make a difference. Since I don't have your hairtype I will let other people help you with exactly what to try but... maybe you can save it and teach your hairdresser some more about hair care in the process.

Beautiful hair, by the way!

OhioLisa
February 16th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hairdressers want your business. I say try some moisture treatments and some TLC. There is no rule about how often you must trim. Trimming only gets rid of splits and / or evens up your hemline. If you need neither of those remedies, then there is no need to trim. Trimming does not encourage growth either. I say leave it be. It's gorgeous! :)

Beloved
February 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Your hair is gorgeous! I love your thickness and gentle waves.

I am all for trimming but I would take a max of an inch off your hair. I just don't think you need a major chop; your hair looks in great condition.

And word to the wise, I wouldn't let your hairdresser do the trim if she thinks you need that much taken off.

Coriander
February 16th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I agree with lots of moisture treatments in the meantime and see if that helps.

Other than that, stunning hair. I mean Wow. :thud:

CindyLea1
February 16th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I think that her 4 inches, was only to get rid of the severe Vshape you have. If you like it I would maybe just have her dust the ends, or do it yourself. A Search and destroy mission may be just what you need.

If I was you, I would clarify leaving off the conditioner or any other products, and see if you need moisture, or protein, or maybe both. Then apply what ever treatment you choose. Then let air dry completely, and S&D the splits. If you think you have too many splits, just dust the very ends a bit. I bet it would help alot. If not you can always go to the hairdresser and have her trim it up later?

I have not been to the hair dresser for about 2 years, and I have mid (_!_) length hair. Unless you have damage that is tangling your undamaged hair and making more damage, you do not need to cut or trim regularly. At least in my opinion.

*** as a side note: if you trim your hair make sure you use very sharp scissors, that are used only on hair. If you use dull ones, or ones with wonky blades you will be creating more damage.

SHELIAANN1969
February 16th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I think your hair looks great, it appears from your photo, that the hairdresser is trying to even up your ends. I think it looks fine. :flower:

I had a hairdresser tell me the same thing when I went in for a microtrim, he wanted to trim it all up to make it even, I was like "no way dude, I like it the way it is"

He then made me an appointment 3 months later without my knowledge and I was shocked when they called me to *confirm* my appointment. :rolleyes: I simply said, "I'll call when I need a trim" But in all reality, I will NOT be going back there, he was trying to get me to cut more than I wanted and trying to get me to buy all kinds of shampoos, conditioners and even lotion.

I hate being pressured, it's a hassle and unnecessary. I told hubs that when I need a trim, he is helping me. He just loved that idea :D haha

Your hair looks awesome, I think you should do what YOU want to do with it! :)

jel
February 16th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I agree with the others that your hair looks great in the picture! :flowers:

Even if there really are split ends that you can see, it's easy just to snip the individual ones (search and destroy) and give your bottom 4 inches some TLC in the form of moisture treatment after clarifying, if necessary.

A number of people on this board haven't trimmed for a year or longer (some for over 10 years) with no consequences apart from getting to keep all their growth :D. Check out the No-Trimming Club link in my siggy for more info.

If you really want to trim your hair, 4 inches at once is too much, in my opinion. Often, just 1/2" or 1" is quite enough to improve the condition and appearance of hair.

lora410
February 16th, 2009, 12:49 PM
I wouldn't trim! maybe add moisture but that is it. Trim when you are ready, not when your hairdresser wants you to; and no your hair won't stop growing if you don't trim. My hair is doign what your ends are right now. Your pict gives me hope my ends will look that great in a V shape naturally :D

Xandergrammy
February 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I think your hair is gorgeous. I wouldn't trim at all if I were you. Baby your hair with moisture and ignore the hairdresser. :flowers:

tina1025
February 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM
May be 1/2 - 1 inch !?!? By the way you have gorgeous hair.

spidermom
February 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Do you track your growth? Does it seem slow or stalled? Sometimes ends get so dried out and brittle that they break off. If that is the case, then YES, a trim will encourage growth by getting rid of the damaged ends. I am completely amazed by how fast my hair has been growing since I got rid of old damage. I've gone from getting 3/4-inch length increase over an entire spring/summer to a steady 2/3 inch per month, or 4 inches in 6 months. Big difference, don't you agree?

Your hair is beautiful in the picture, but your fingers can tell you more than I can tell you from where I'm sitting. If you slide your fingers down a pinch of hair from scalp to ends, can you feel a texture change? If so, how many inches above the ends does it occur?

Anje
February 16th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I like your V hemline. Personally, I'd say to make sure your ends have moisture, give them a good S&D, and keep growing. If you don't want to cut, then don't.

Honey39
February 16th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't cut, you have lovely hair, and unless you WANT to because you think it's damaged or want to even up your hair, I honestly don't think you need to cut. You do have gorgeous hair, and I love the way it grows to a v, it's so pretty.

Remember, hairdressers are in the business of cutting - no offence to them, but it's what they do. I don't think I have EVER heard a hairdresser say 'oh no, you don't need a cut'. It's what they do, and it's what every client that visits them wants them to do!!

Saldana
February 16th, 2009, 01:59 PM
Your hair is stunningly beautiful. I don't see any reason to trim it at all, unless you, YOURSELF, feel that you would like to trim a bit.

However, as an earlier responder said - I would think twice about allowing a hairdresser who wants to trim 4" of your hair off to come near your hair with scissors. Or, if you really want to have her trim it, decide in advance how much you want taken off and take an ASSERTIVE supportive friend with you to watch every move the stylist makes. Personally, I'd either trim it myself, or get a trusted friend to do it for me.

Rohele
February 16th, 2009, 02:23 PM
You have beautiful hair!

I would say if you go for a trim, start with way less than 4 inches. I just went for
a trim to remove some damage after 6 months of not going, and believe me I had very damaged ends from flat ironing etc. My hair stylist took off about 1/8" (less than I was expecting) and the difference in how it felt was incredible. The ends look fine in your picture, and I like the "v" shape too.

Carolyn
February 16th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Only you can judge the condition of your ends. If I were you, I'd do a clarifying wash and get any build up off the ends. Then I'd do a nice moisturizing treatment like a SMT to put the moisture back in and then I'd so some S & D and get rid of any split ends. I don't think you need anything near that trimmed off, if any. Is there anything that says you have to go back to that hairdresser?

viking_quest
February 16th, 2009, 02:32 PM
You have gorgeous hair. I don't think you should trim it, only S&D to get rid of splits and do a moisture treatment if your ends are dry.

Johanna64
February 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Your hair looks healthy to me!!
It's beautiful :)

Jeni
February 16th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I agree with everyone else, your hair looks gorgeous. Try adding moister and/or protein see if that helps your ends. Try doing an S&D to get rid of any splits.

If your ends bother you then by all means get a trim but not of 3-4", try 1/2" to an 1". Unless this hairdresser is someone you trust to do what you want I wouldn't let her do the trim, chances are your 1" and hers will be different. (I secretly think stylist use a different unit of measurement then we do, their 1" is never equal to my 1") I have never tried trimming my own hair (too scared) but my mom does a pretty decent job and she knows how to listen when I say "only the very ends"(also she works for cookies!).

rymorg2
February 16th, 2009, 05:08 PM
I'm a stylist, and if you want my professional opinion, you in NO WAY need 4" taken off.

From the pic, your hair is very healthy. You could probably use a little trim, maybe an inch or so tops, but that's it.

GAH I get so ticked at those in my profession that make it harder for me and stylists LIKE me who actually CARE to get people to trust them because they advise large chops like that.

Baby those ends with lots of moisture, try S & D for awhile, and maybe trim a little. You'd be surprised what 1/2" to 1" can do.

The only reason I'd recommend trimming off that much is if, like everyone said, you wanted to even out your hemline more. If you want your hemline to be less V shaped and more of a gentle U then go for it. Just be prepared to sacrifice length to do it. I don't think you need it though, the V actually suits you.

HTH....

Islandgrrl
February 16th, 2009, 05:45 PM
Nothing to add to the already outstanding advice you've gotten about moisture and pampering, except maybe.....join us over at the Hair Up challenge for a while! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=102)

Your hair is quite lovely and in the photo you posted it doesn't appear to have the heaps of damage that would require a 4" chop.

rymorg2
February 16th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Absolutely join us in the hair up challenge. It's one of the best things I've done for my hair! My ends especially.

Tangles
February 16th, 2009, 05:57 PM
I'd take off 1-1.5" at most.

JamieLeigh
February 16th, 2009, 06:49 PM
I can't see a thing wrong with your hair! I think it looks gorgeous!!!! :D

The only reason I trim is to keep an even hemline. If that's not what you want, then there is no reason to even trim at all, if you don't have a split end problem!

Psalm186
February 16th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'm in a similar boat, having not trimmed for just over a year now. There's a distinct crunchiness starting about 3" from the tips, and I'm starting to see double split ends :( I've spent the last 2 weeks soaking them in various oils, but damaged hair is damaged hair, aye?

The hardest part of growing out your hair is saying goodbye to the parts you may have treated less kindly. I know that 30 inches ago (ie. 5 years), I was still swimming in chlorine, then using the odd blowfryer, curling iron and semi-permanent hair colour. My dried out ends are causing some serious tanglage, so it's time for a trim.

On the other hand, I may just take the advice posted here and see how my hair feels after trimming an inch. I'd try a light dusting myself, but I don't own particularly sharp scissors, and my Mum took her featherweight $100 poodle grooming scissors to Florida for the winter >.<

PS. Your hemline is absolutely stunning -- don't ever loose that shape!

Beloved
February 16th, 2009, 09:28 PM
The only reason I would trim your hair (1 inch) is to take care of some of the taper. I actually think a V-line hem is very sexy at your length. I have a blunt cut at BSL, and dreams of a v-line at MBL!

Darkhorse1
February 16th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Hair dressers tend to say that. I can't see up close, but your hair looks pretty darn gorgeous. Not cutting just doesn't remove the split/damaged ends. So, if you maintain them by oiling or such, that will reduce the splits/lay the splits down on the cuticle so that they don't cause breakage. Over time, you can get 1/4 inch trims and remove the splits slowly so you don't lose a good 4 inches. Someone once told me this (a hair dresser) and my hair grew JUST fine. My current hair dresser said my hair is in good condition, given my line of activity and work.

lynlora
February 16th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Typical hairdresser response to start chopping away :( Maybe try just one inch ?

HairColoredHair
February 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
:lol: Just remember. Hairdressers get paid to CUT hair, not help you grow it out.

Glamgirl
February 16th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Thank you all so much for your kind compliments and encouragement! You all are so sweet!!:blushing:

I've decided not to trim for now. It is still growing pretty well, about 1/2" or so a month...and the splits are there, but not so bad that I feel the need to trim right now. But I will take the advice you all have given to do some treatments, oiling, etc. I'll need to read up here and figure out what to do. I'm in awe of the sophisticated treatments and regimens you guys do...All I really do now is use coconut oil lightly on the ends and length several times a week, and CWC with cones once a week.

Perhaps in a few months I'll consider a trim...and as you all advised, I will only get 1/2" - 1" taken off. I'll take my BF with me, and he will watch over me and make sure she doesn't go overboard. He loves my hair...in fact he encouraged me to start growing it long again.:crush:

BTW, my hair did not always come to such a severe V...it was more rounded before...but over time it just sort of ended up like it is now...not sure how that happened...lol
Here is what it looked like several months ago:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/mjensen1/007b.jpg

Compared to now:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y244/mjensen1/HOME011-2.jpg

RancheroTheBee
February 16th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Good! I think your hair is perfect. :)

SimplyLonghair
February 17th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I love your hair and it looks great, it reminds me of my own hair. As others before me have said, treat it gently, condition, S&D and then judge the condition. I think that you will be happy. If you find it still needs help, do micro trims and see then.

Most Hairdressers haven't any real idea how to grow long hair, there are some exceptions, but not too many. :shrug: Long hair is against most salon policy in a very real sense. Short hair=return customer ;) Longhair=never seen again:p so they are just looking at their bottom line. Lets face it most longhairs don't go frequently to salons so they have to find a way to make us return. Simply good business. I say this as a child of a former hairdresser. It pays the bills to have return customers. But all of the emphasis on styles and cuts and colors are damaging to hair in the long run. Many of our members here have forgone commercial products and hair care, because for them it is too harsh and wouldn't allow them the hair that they want. You just have to find the balance between those poles. A place that makes you and your hair happy!:D Good luck!

Sydney
February 17th, 2009, 04:21 AM
You're hair is lovely, and I can't see the damage from the photo. I would disagree with the others however, if you feel you need a trim, get it over with now, not trimming it will make it any healthier. Do you feel it needs 4 inches? could you not loose 2 inches? Your hair will not stop growing if you do not trim but nothing will heal split ends, they can just get bigger.

DelynofRhondda
February 17th, 2009, 07:38 AM
GlamGirl, my hair grows into a "V" pattern normally, too. Yours is very pretty!

As far as cutting vs trimming ... I had a stylist I really liked until she started nagging about colouring the grey & keeping it "trimmed" at shoulder length. I became uncomfortable sitting in her chair and wondering what she might do.

My solution: pay a visit to the barbers. They seem more willing to trim only what needs to be trimmed, ie splits or knots. And, since they cut dry, I believe they can feel the roughened ends down the hair shaft better.

This isn't the first time I've gone to the barbers, either. Most times it's been the barber who says "Come on in when you think you need it. I love working with long hair ... not that I get to that often."

I feel just as pampered & "girly" walking out of the barber shop. And a whole lot less paranoid of a professional with scissors.

Feye
February 17th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Hi, I haven't read all of the comments in the thread yet, but I want to say that to me your hair looks really beautiful. I have a few waves myself and with a blunt look they just don't cooperate as well. The shape of your ends seem to really agree with your waves.

In the end it is really your decision, not the hair dresser's. Hair doesn't get damaged just because you waited a while, and dryness can be cured. Split ends can be snipped off individually, and they generally appear further up in the hair anyway.

I love the V-shape of your ends, and your hair is gorgeous!

jojo
February 20th, 2009, 05:42 AM
good no cut! if you have splits just do s&d's but I think your hair is a long hair lovers dream, don't ever change it!

Chrissy
February 20th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Both you and your hair are beautiful. I love your curls and waves. Your hair looks very healthy. I think it looks fine the way it is.

scalawaggirl
February 20th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I echo the sentiments here that your hair is absolutely lovely! It reminds me of fairy hair or LOR styles like Eowyn/Arwen. Unless it's severely damaged, I wouldn't cut it but opt to do mini-trims, if and only if, you wish to change the hemline or minimize minor damage.

Zindell
February 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Looks healthy and gorgeous to me! And I love that V-shape. Keep it. Do not cut unless you feel yourself that it is damaged. :)

Demetrue
February 20th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Your hair looks amazing! I love the curls, the color and the V-hemline. Just keep giving those ends extra loving care and you should be fine.

Amberlee
February 20th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Your hair looks lovely. And, seeing your hemline several months ago - surely taking off the V is what your stylist was suggesting. But, I agree with a PP who said the V is a nice compliment to your curls.

cindy58
February 20th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I think it looks lovely! If you want a trim, try a smaller one first. Plus, I would really hesitate about trusting and giving the business to someone who tries to push you into a cut you say you don't want. It's your hair and your decision.

Glamgirl
February 20th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Thank you all for taking the time to reply, and for your kindness!! I want to try an S&D like you all recommend, and I wonder if you could give me an idea of what scissors to get...perhaps Sally Beauty would be the best place to look? Are the scissors very expensive? I've never done an S&D before, and I'm anxious to try.

Thanks!!:flower:

RavennaNight
February 20th, 2009, 08:41 PM
Your ends look fine and your hair is really pretty. I wouldn't cut. :flower: