PDA

View Full Version : Let's be honest about splits.

basak
March 30th, 2008, 04:44 AM
As you can see in my stats and signature, I have straight hair with medium to fine hair. It doesn't split all that easily, but the inner parts of my hair is dramatically finer and prone to splits. I've been trimming a lot and I don't have any splits along my hemline. My problem is, I have lots of splits in the inner parts of my hair(the hair that grows from the nape area) all through the length. I'm guessing this is because I wear my hair down a lot and it constantly touches my back, and therefore it splits. Is there any way that I can eliminate those splits, or will they stay forever? Will they grow and get trimmed and disappear forever, or do I have to do S&Ds?

Palms
March 30th, 2008, 04:49 AM
i believe S&D is great! so why not to do it! i even advice you to do it regularly!

be careful because of you don't remove them soon they go up and become worse..

eadwine
March 30th, 2008, 04:52 AM
They will stay, unfortunately. The only thing to do is S&D or they will travel up.

What you can do is wear tops that are more slick, kind of like the pillowcase idea; less rubbing. :) Other than that.. accept them.

GlassEyes
March 30th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Actually, I've heard the opposite about splits. They usually don't travel up unless something magnificently terrible has been done to your hair (flat ironing to hell, blah blah blah).

People on the male board don't cut their hair at all, and they just break off with time. If they do travel up, I know I'm in trouble. xD I can't tell if I have splits or not since my hair is so frizzy and doesn't stay together even after a trim.

eadwine
March 30th, 2008, 05:11 AM
Actually, I've heard the opposite about splits. They usually don't travel up unless something magnificently terrible has been done to your hair (flat ironing to hell, blah blah blah).
Take my word for it, they travel up even when doing nothing else to the hair. My hair was proof of that before I had a big chop done to it. It was horrid.

aisling
March 30th, 2008, 05:19 AM
I find it beneficial to do S&D because with less splits, my hair tangles a lot less. That means I have to detangle less and it's easier to do it, which I'm sure is good for my hair. I also have splits in the same area around the nape of my neck. Those hairs are so fine and seem to have a shorter life than the rest of my hair, I doubt they'll ever grow as long as the rest of my hair. So they won't get trimmed off that way either, S&D it is for me.

I doubt I'll ever have totally split free hair. My hair is both fine and the ends are dry, I also like wearing it down every now and then, wearing it up all the time isn't what I want to. So I deal with my splits and I don't think a hair has to be totally free from split ends to be healthy and beautiful.

FrannyG
March 30th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I agree with Aisling. I find that where I have splits is where I get tangles. I used to be lazy about doing S&Ds, but now that I'm doing it more often (but not obsessively :)), I'm noticing far fewer tangles.

ysmalan
March 30th, 2008, 06:05 AM
First, I never had split ends travel up my hair. I'm doing S&D often, and I never saw any indication that something like that could happen. :shrug:

My hair is also not prone to split ends. But, since one week spent on holiday in Turkey a few years ago, I have several strongly bleached-out strands of hair. Almost every end of those hairs is split, they are brittle, dry and very weak. :mad: I guess I'll have to wait until the bleached things have grown out...
And if I ever again go on a holiday where salt water and a strong sun are involved, I'll be armed with oils, bandanas and a hat. :silly:

Requiax
March 30th, 2008, 06:21 AM
My nape hair are split city. I think it's because they're so much finer than the rest of my hair, and like basak said, from wearing my hair down. I do S&D but it's a never ending battle. Oilings and updos seem to be slowing them down a bit.

basak
March 30th, 2008, 06:21 AM
First, I never had split ends travel up my hair. I'm doing S&D often, and I never saw any indication that something like that could happen. :shrug:

My hair is also not prone to split ends. But, since one week spent on holiday in Turkey a few years ago, I have several strongly bleached-out strands of hair. Almost every end of those hairs is split, they are brittle, dry and very weak. :mad: I guess I'll have to wait until the bleached things have grown out...
And if I ever again go on a holiday where salt water and a strong sun are involved, I'll be armed with oils, bandanas and a hat. :silly:

Being exposed to sun can be vequite harsh on skin and hair in south coasts of Turkey, where the most popular holiday resorts are. High salt concentration is the main reason why I dislike being in the sea, it sting my eyes badly. I remember how relieved I was to be away from all the heat when I visited cloudy, rainy Vienna a few years ago, in august. :D

zift
March 30th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Selam Başak;)
Yes my hair has no splits at ends,not kiddinjg because I trim frequantly and do S&D too but I used to have an enormous problem with the splits and tangles at my nape area. And my hair is curly down there so that almost 3b curls occur and I fought with the tangling for so long . When I shaved all my nape hair I could finally say I have somewhat splitfree hair. Ofcourse there are splits but quite few,I have to search to find a couple.
However I wouldn't recomment shaving hair off,it leaves you with less hair...I think you need to moisture it as much as possible and wear it up.

Shanarana
March 30th, 2008, 07:40 AM
I have such a hard time doing S&D because my hair is so wavy and curly. I saw one the other day and didn't have any means to cut it off and now I can't find it. I don't S&D often because it hurts my eyes and is very time consuming. I would much rather do a micro trim.

Stagecoach
March 30th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I get splits all up and down my length. And it's not from rough handling because 90% of the time my hair is in an updo.

My hair just seems very split prone.

trolleypup
March 30th, 2008, 08:50 AM
My worst splits are either on the oldest, most exposed to the sun parts, or on the underside, where it rubs on my clothes. My splits don't travel, but they are all through the length, so trims are entirely unhelpful. When I have time, and good light, I S&D with the good scissors that are always with me.

Arianwen
March 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Mine splits like crazy. S&D is the solution.

Anje
March 30th, 2008, 08:53 AM
Most of my splits are also not on the ends but scattered through the length. I agree that your choices are pretty much S&D or live with them.

Mine do travel up, though, and none of my current hair has ever been flat ironed or curled with a curling iron. It's been blown dry probably less than 10 times in the life time of the longest hairs. Yet a month or so ago, I found this:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2268/2245174529_5cea536b79.jpg
The dime is for scale.

Lamb
March 30th, 2008, 09:16 AM
I find splits mostly in my layers. That's why I hate them so, that line is too much exposed. My hair is too short for a thorough S&D, so I just try not to get more splits and hope for the best.:shrug:

Arianwen
March 30th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I've found one of those monumental splits before, lol. Amazing, aren't they?

spidermom
March 30th, 2008, 10:15 AM
You won't have the same split ends forever because every hair that you have on your head right now will eventually shed out. My focus right now is try to prevent them by mostly wearing my hair up, oiling, gentle handling, deep conditioning treatments, and regular small trims.

doodlesmart
March 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I have splits like crazy. I try to S&D just a little everyday, with the hope that I'll cut more out than I create on any given day. But I still don't think I will ever be split free. Shoving my hair up into a riding helmet, even when done carefully is bound to cause some rubbing.

Meli
March 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm also one of those with split-prone hair. I have virgin hair and never use heat styling/blowdryers, I wear it up and keep it well moisturized, but still I get splits anywhere in my length. I do a major S&D mission about once every 1-2 months, and if I happen to find any nasty split between these missions, I snip it off right away. My splits definitely travel up if I leave them alone - I found lots of examples of this during my first S&D mission. Trimming my ends doesn't help at all.

Teacherbear
March 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Most of my splits are throughout the length, not at the ends. There are 2 ways I combat them: snip off splits with S&D and do what I can so I don't damage my hair in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Starr
March 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
My splits dont travel up my length. . . maybe because it's curly? In fact I don't get to many splits and when my hair does split it's on the ends not the length, but I do get fairy knots quite often.:mad:

Carolyn
March 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
We have similar hair. My hair will never be split free. That's just it's nature. I have to accept it and deal with it. Once a hair has a split end the end has to be trimmed off or you wait until the hair is shed out with age. S & D will get rid of the splits but you need to work on better hair care. Wearing my hair up and oiling the ends has helped me a lot. You just have to do the best you can and accept some splits if your hair is prone to them like mine.