PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to cut.

rhubarbarin
February 16th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I was really determined to get to waist and maintain there, but.. it's just not going to work out. My hair is breaking at such a rate that I am surprised I am seeing any growth at all, much less the nearly 1" I got last month (from Monistat). Each curl goes from thick new growth to a rapid taper into a thin string with blunt broken hairs poking out, and the last 3-4" are rampant with with white dots, bends and splits. Little pieces break off constantly. Combing the ends is impossible, and I hate the way they look.

The damage is partially from Sun-In in summer 07, but mostly from the cones I was coating my hair in and never shampooing out for about 5 consecutive years (I thought I was using CG method, but apparently I missed some essential information!). I have around 9" new growth which is looking great, thankfully.

I was going to post a close-up pic of the ends but it's just too depressing! You can see how stringy my ends are, and my taper in my album.

I've been thinking about it for a few weeks and I'm going to cut tonight. I'll try not to take too much off but I want to get rid of the worst stuff, which is probably going to mean at least 6". So back to around APL. And my short layers are nearly as bad as the long ones, so this means it will be that much longer until my hem is close to being even.

I guess I am just asking for some reassurance that I do need to do this, it will grow out again (pretty quickly if I keep getting the same results from Monistat!), and it will look and feel better to get to waist length+ with healthier ends and less taper. I'm finally ready to go for quality over quantity. But I am really not looking forward to having what will feel like short hair.:(

HairyCarrie
February 16th, 2009, 09:33 AM
It's funny how "short hair" is all in the perspective. I would love to be at APL! :smile:

You seem to have put a lot of thought into what you need for healthy hair. Best wishes on the trim.

MemSahib
February 16th, 2009, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry you feel you need to do this, but... I understand. The good side is that you KNOW you get excellent results with Monistat and can quickly regain the inches you lose, hopefully in much better condition. You do have the alternative of trimming back more gradually, but if your hair is truly damaged as far up as you say, well, I would be the last to tell you not to get rid of it. Whatever you decide, good luck and good growing!

NurseMama
February 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I went to look at your album and I have to say that I think that your hair is very pretty. I can see a slight taper, but it looks pretty and clumpy! I think that because you are a curly it just looks like part of your curl. Your picture after your Jan trim is really very pretty!

Denebi
February 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
If you took your time and considered it for several weeks now, it seems to be the right thing to do. Being happy with your hair is the most important thing, isn't it? I wish you good luck with cutting and fast regrowing.

embee
February 16th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do! Good luck. :)

Silverlox
February 16th, 2009, 09:43 AM
What can I say? A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do, especially if the goal is healthy hair.

Although you do sound dead set on cutting all the bad parts off, I'm still sensing that you're not really going to be happy about it. If this is the case, please don't make any major cuts until you've absolutely made up your mind to such a degree that it will feel like a liberation to cut off all the damaged parts. However, if I'm just imagining things, then, please, go right ahead.

If you're looking for confirmation, all I can say is that you need to do what will feel best for you in the long run. And if that is making a major chop, then go for it!

But.. If you already know that you'll feel seriously deprived of length, then I'd ask you to reconsider. At least long enough to adhere to the two week rule.

There are other options, you know. Since you have such good growth, you could cut off about 1" each month and in just 6 months you'd have gotten rid of all the old damage and still not feel that you'd have lost length. You'll just be maintaining at your present length. I'm sure the damaged ends can be hidden in an updo, so you won't have to fret over them all day, every day.

I don't know anything about your hair routine, but if you keep the ends oiled, it will be much easier to comb through and you won't be causing new breakage. The oily ends will of course be hidden in an updo, so nobody will know.

Just my :twocents:

JamieLeigh
February 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Honestly? I'm all about health over length. Which is why I maintained at TB for years before letting it grow. And I still trim if I'm not happy with my new growth.

Whatever works best for you is fine with all of us. No one here will ostracize you or try to make you feel badly if you cut. :)

(...and if they do, we'll kick their e-butts for you!! :mad:)

rhubarbarin
February 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
What can I say? A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do, especially if the goal is healthy hair.

Although you do sound dead set on cutting all the bad parts off, I'm still sensing that you're not really going to be happy about it. If this is the case, please don't make any major cuts until you've absolutely made up your mind to such a degree that it will feel like a liberation to cut off all the damaged parts. However, if I'm just imagining things, then, please, go right ahead.

If you're looking for confirmation, all I can say is that you need to do what will feel best for you in the long run. And if that is making a major chop, then go for it!

But.. If you already know that you'll feel seriously deprived of length, then I'd ask you to reconsider. At least long enough to adhere to the two week rule.

There are other options, you know. Since you have such good growth, you could cut off about 1" each month and in just 6 months you'd have gotten rid of all the old damage and still not feel that you'd have lost length. You'll just be maintaining at your present length. I'm sure the damaged ends can be hidden in an updo, so you won't have to fret over them all day, every day.

I don't know anything about your hair routine, but if you keep the ends oiled, it will be much easier to comb through and you won't be causing new breakage. The oily ends will of course be hidden in an updo, so nobody will know.

Just my :twocents:

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

I do feel conflicted about it, Silverlox. I have been doing gradual trimming (taking off about half my yearly growth) but the last 6" are so bad, taking off an inch at a time doesn't make it look or feel any better. Plus it is very layered, and more damaged in some spots than others. I have been trimming my V ends, but all the shorter layers have been deteriorating in condition because I haven't trimmed them in so long.

I would feel liberated if I could get rid of all the damage by going to APL, but almost all my hair except the new 9" is damaged to some degree. To get rid of everything I'd have to cut to above shoulder length. I'm not going to do that!

Maybe I will do a more moderate cut first, say CG style (by curl, dry) and only take off the very worst couple inches and see how I feel after that.

Nightshade
February 16th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Here's my take on it- Yes, if the hair's that bad it has to go... but if you're cutting into hair that's still damaged, it's STILL going to split on you pretty quick. What about taking off just a few inches in one go, say 3 inches, and then trimming off half an inch a month after that?

In my experience, anyway, damaged hair does best with frequent trimming, as then it tangles less, breaks less, and eventually needs trimming less.

My hair was in tatters, and I got away with 1/4 in a month and managed to grow it to tailbone and I'm maintaining there :)

Sunshine69
February 16th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I think your decision sounds very well considered. You'll probably be pleased with how fast your hair seems to grow once you cut the damaged/breaking ends off. Nightshade has a good idea. Good luck!

Silverlox
February 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
That sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:

I just don't want you to have too many regrets. It's easy to cut a bit more, if you're not happy with just cutting a little, but if you cut a lot, you can't reattach it again..:(

I have some of the same things going on with my hair. It basically tapers into nothingness and my braid looks very much like yours, just slightly longer. However, my ends are not damages, crusty or breaking off. I've just got a lot of taper. Thus, my choice is to keep it and trim a couple of inches off the ends each year.:shrug:

But that's me, and you are you. Just be sure to make the best choice for you!

spidermom
February 16th, 2009, 10:12 AM
Maybe I will do a more moderate cut first, say CG style (by curl, dry) and only take off the very worst couple inches and see how I feel after that.

This sounds like a good plan to me. I had to get rid of some really bad ends at the end of 2007 or beginning of 2008. I took 1-inch wide sections and cut straight across at the bottom at a point where I would get rid of the worst ends. I was taking off 4 inches in some places and only 1 inch in others. Then I tried to even things up with a Feye self-trim, but I ended up with a slant from left to right so went to the hair stylist to get it evened up. That length was back so fast that I could hardly believe it, and I didn't even use Monistat. It is amazing how much faster hair grows if it's not breaking off on the ends.

Good luck with your trim. Your hair will be every bit as beautiful as it is now and probably even more so. Post a picture when you're done, o.k?

Darkhorse1
February 16th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Your hair is gorgeous!! What I would do is perhaps a trim? That way, you can get rid of some splits/damage, but not lose length.

Good luck!:)

Coriander
February 16th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I agree with everyone :laugh:

What I would do is do shorter trims at a time, that way it's not so "OMG where'd it all go?"

You do have gorgeous hair :) Good luck with everything and show us what you decide to do! :grouphug:

rhubarbarin
February 17th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I agree my hair looks pretty good in my album considering the shape it's in! But it sure doesn't look that good most of the time. Flash helps a lot.

I did a curl by curl trim, then ended up cutting quite a bit of my V off. My hem is more of a U than a V now! Stretched, it's at about 24-25" which is just upper BSL on me. So a total loss of 3-4". Curly it will probably fall around APL. It might get VERY curly at this length (this is the shortest it's been in a couple years) and creep up towards shoulder.

My hair looks much thicker, and it feels SO nice to feel softer healthier ends instead of the raspy ones I've been touching for a year.

I don't regret it. I'm a bit sad of the idea of losing nearly-waist hair, but I'm not at all sad about losing what I actually did! Also, it doesn't feel much different because the total volume I lose was nearly nothing, it was so thin.

Will post a pic tonight of it after I wash it.

Carolyn
February 17th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Can't wait to see the after pic. It sounds like you took off enough to get rid of a lot of the damage but you still have long hair. Damage just gets worse if you don't get rid of it. I know it's hard to lose those hard fought for inches. It's all part of the long hair journey. You'll be able to do cute perky ponytails and those great messy buns at your new length.

Silverlox
February 17th, 2009, 07:35 AM
I don't regret it.

Yay!! Way to go!!!:joy::cheer::happydance:

The part about not having any regrets is the most important! :agree:

I'm so happy for you! Looking forward to seeing pictures now.. :D

lora410
February 17th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I looked and personally it doesn't seem that bad. You need to be happy with it though and aleast you put thought into it.

LadyLongLocks
February 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Health over length is a wise decision. A shame you need to lose some of your length but seeing those healthy ends will be such a plus.
You think sun-in damaged your hair? How did you use it? How much and how often?
I have used sun in for many years with no damage. I only use about 10 mists at a time on damp hair and only on the new growth. I activate with a warm blow dryer. I do this about every 2 weeks in the fall and winter. I was just wondering why you think sun-in hurt your hair or added to the damage. It had never hurt my hair and has worked great for that slight color boost.

rhubarbarin
February 17th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I can't blame Sun-in entirely, it might not have hurt if my hair wasn't so severely stressed and dried out from cone abuse. I also have breakage in areas I didn't highlight, but it's much worse where I did. The blondest parts of my hair have literally broken off into nothing - I have some curls in one spot that are only at shoulder length.

I used it about 3 times in a 4 month period, and I did it on my length and ends, not on my roots.

Maybe I just have sensitive hair? It's not fine though.

Carolyn
February 17th, 2009, 02:11 PM
LOL@me! I finally figured out your pictures were in your albums. Your hair looks great! I can see why you are happy with it.

RedJen
February 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I'm glad you're happy with it! It will get longer faster now that it's not breaking off at the ends.

Your hair is very pretty!

maskedrose
February 17th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Pictures please! I'm glad you're happy with the cut - I've been thinking about getting a couple of inches off myself, but I haven't had the courage to make the plunge yet!

Culdayne
February 17th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I just wanted to say I'm glad you are happy with your cut and I'm sure you'll be back to where you were soon. If it makes you feel any better, I am totally with you on the cone thing. I firmly believe that cones ravaged my hair and is why my hair was continually breaking off. I would have long since reached my goal. I ended up probably cutting way more, but wow, healthy hair sure seems to grow faster! You'll soon see. :flower:

Demetrue
February 17th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I thought your hair looked great in your albums and was going to suggest just evening the V into a U shape with the longest ends at around BSL. Your curls and color are gorgeous!

girlcat36
February 17th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Just seeing this thread now.
Glad you are happy about the cut! I struggle with the same thinness and severe taper. Everyday I contemplate cutting. My hair is in a braid right now, and it is ridiculously thin on the last 7".
My hair isn't as damaged as you say yours is, so I am keeping the thin ends for now. Maybe when I see your pics I will be inspired to cut off the thin ends!

MadPirateBippy
February 17th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'm glad you are happy with your cut, and like everyone else, your hair is super pretty! The length will come back. Consider this your sun-in lesson learned. :D

rhubarbarin
February 18th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Pic is in my album (I can't figure out how to post pics in threads!).

Just seeing this thread now.
Glad you are happy about the cut! I struggle with the same thinness and severe taper. Everyday I contemplate cutting. My hair is in a braid right now, and it is ridiculously thin on the last 7".
My hair isn't as damaged as you say yours is, so I am keeping the thin ends for now. Maybe when I see your pics I will be inspired to cut off the thin ends!

My hair looks like yours now. :)

I don't mind taper (I will always have it), it's the damage that drives me crazy. I could feel it when I touched my hair and I could see the frazzled-ness, white dots, and little pieces breaking off. If I were in your position I probably wouldn't chop. One thing that helps me obsess a lot less about thin ends is not using styles that show them (out of sight, out of mine). So if I braid, I leave a very long curly tassel, and I stick to more messy buns and peacock twists as updos, as they emphasize volume.